Sign in to follow this  
rondon9898

Why does my Xplane 12 look so dreadful?

5 hours ago, mSparks said:

can you give an example?

Im using terrain radar and avitab in the 744 in VR and its absolutely glorious already, even if I am still super excited and a little bit impatient to get my hands on a working openXR build.

Q4XP needed an update to work with Zink, the plane would freeze and the displays were funky. This is a plane that's very resource intensive and anything I add over it (for example world traffic) absolutely trashes the FPS, I even get down to 20-23FPS.

On the other hand, planes like X-Crafts E-Jets, Toliss A319 or Aerobash Phenom have excellent FPS even with world traffic active. Yes, the Q4XP is a complex plane but so is the Toliss, and the FPS differences & drop is too much to only account for that. Could be the SASL version they use?

Setup: RX6800 | 5800X3D + B450 | 32GB 3200MHz | X-Plane 12

4 hours ago, bogdansrb said:

Could be the SASL version they use?

yeah, kinda, perf issues on 3rd party plane systems are not at all opengl, zink or sasl/xlua/C/C++ related.

But rather the "programming paradigm" the 3rd party developers used to write them.

This feeds deeply into the myth that "xplane cant do multithreading/multicore".

Not that xplane really helped 3rd parties not make rookie mistakes when it comes to building complex displays and systems, the guidance for 3PDs there was simply terrible, very little if not no modern programming developer guidance (not limited to XP, if anything the current MS guidance is even worse, from what I have seen of P3D it is no better there).

And when I came to adopt them for some custom drawing for the first time even developers that had some experience of using technologies like PBOs were "obstructive" to put it politely.

This is how xtlua was born I use in the 744, needed an environment that took the pain out of building asynchronous systems, kicked it off April 2020 after several months of planning as soon as I got word that wasn't going to be something that was incorporated into the default developer tools.

AutoATC Developer

Here is what worked for me. 

(My graphics were very very bad, while my PC specs are decent with 3080Ti)

in Nvidia, restored all to default. 

But what has really worked i believe is

DELETING THE OUTPUT FOLDER

I know that we should not do this at all, but I believe this worked very good with me.

Right after that when it started i kept everything as per the default setting and the graphics now are very very good (with the expection of the trees)

On 5/13/2023 at 6:07 AM, filou said:

Your screenshots look normal without any issues.

I would just like to point out that anyone saying the "screenshots look fine" is totally missing the point of what the vast majority of the complaints are.

It's the anti-aliasing, the shimmering, the wavy lines on the ground, the oddness to the clouds due to AA. 

When you take a screenshot, all it is doing is transferring byte-for-byte from video RAM to a file on your disk.

None of the above will be seen.   Of course the screenshots look "normal".

It's the simulator in motion that's the issue.  And despite everything mSparks seems to say, yes, there are issues with anti-aliasing big time in XP12.

And all this talk about VRAM usage is insane!   There are people running 4090s and we're talking about VRAM!??!

That's a non-starter.

Oh, and mSparks, again with:

file system bugs in windows (e.g. when windows just starts sending garbage when XP tries to read the disk instead of the actual file contents. )

Yeah, those bugs in Windows where you request files at address XYZ but it sends you the ones at ABC.  😂    Please man, this is getting absurd.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Gulfstream, I read your posts and try to be considerate but I do have to say that to suggest that there is a major fault with XP12 is reducio absurdum. I and many other have never seen the issues which you allude to on my installation of XP12 with and Intel I5-10500 6core CPU at 16GB utilising Vulcan and a NVIDIA 2070 Super 8GB GPU so I cannot comment any further as to so called flaws for which I see no evidence at all!

1 hour ago, coastaldriver said:

Gulfstream, I read your posts and try to be considerate but I do have to say that to suggest that there is a major fault with XP12 is reducio absurdum. I and many other have never seen the issues which you allude to on my installation of XP12 with and Intel I5-10500 6core CPU at 16GB utilising Vulcan and a NVIDIA 2070 Super 8GB GPU so I cannot comment any further as to so called flaws for which I see no evidence at all!

I and many others have never seen a white pony. Yet they exist and there's plenty of proof of their existence.

By the way, are any of you "deniers" on facebook, youtube, reddit or any other platform that hosts x-plane groups? There's tons of complaints on this issue.

With a little trick (editing settings.txt to enable FXAA for each AA setting), I get very satisfactory results in terms of AA.

I think it's also a subjective matter: for example, I'm not bothered at all by the so-called shimmering (infact, I wouldn't even be able to tell if I have shimmering or not in my X-Plane).

In a flight sim, I find blurries and scenery pop-in much worse in terms of immersion.

Kzfh8Yf.jpg

lnYxpIk.jpg

pJTRtTY.png

• Like 2

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

5 hours ago, JETPETER2 said:

what is the edit for AA you speak of?

In settings.txt, change the last three

"hdr/use_post_aa 0"

to

"hdr/use_post_aa 1".

Be advised that editing the settings.txt file is strongly discouraged by LR, because it could mess things up, but this simple edit should be harmless.

In any case, running the X-Plane updater will restore the original "settings.txt".

• Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

6 hours ago, Murmur said:

Be advised that editing the settings.txt file is strongly discouraged by LR, because it could mess things up, but this simple edit should be harmless.

well after 6 months its still not useable for many , so why not.

14ppkc-6.png

On 5/29/2023 at 10:25 AM, bogdansrb said:

I and many others have never seen a white pony. Yet they exist and there's plenty of proof of their existence.

By the way, are any of you "deniers" on facebook, youtube, reddit or any other platform that hosts x-plane groups? There's tons of complaints on this issue.

the shimmering is plan to see its obvious.  but the lapdogs will tell you your wrong.

Edited by fluffyflops
  • Like 1

14ppkc-6.png

3 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

the shimmering is plan to see its obvious.  but the lapdogs will tell you your wrong.

Lapdogs?  😆

In settings.txt, change the last three

This never worked for me. Might only work on nvidia cards?