Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

B58 DME not working

Guest MikeMiraglia

I have my NAV2 set to 117.90 for my first waypoint, DME is on R2, and I am cruising at 5000 MSL approx. 50nm from the waypoint, but the DME is not registering the distance. The NAV2 and DME buttons on the audio panel are both active. Any suggestions? Thanks,-Mike

As Geof says, and also:Not all VOR sites have DME capability, needs to be a VOR/DME or a VORTAC to have that, a stand-alone VOR will not give you DME (in the real world at least). DME is an entire different system to the VOR, they just happen to be co-sited with *some* VOR's and/or LOC's. The receiver in your aircraft automatically tunes the appropriate DME signal when you tune a VOR, which sometimes might make people think that both DME and VOR are the same thing.Chances are that if you are tuned to a high service volume VOR (such as those that defone the J routes- in the US at least), then it will have DME.Bruce.

Which VOR? Where?A substantial number of them do not have DME. If you have the signal, but no DME - that's probably the case.There are also a substantial number of VOR;s in FS which are DME only - no radials. Most are associated with military bases. I've been told that they simulate TACANFlight Sim uses three VOR ranges. High Altitude VOR's should always be read at a little less than 195 nm.Low altitude VOR's should always be read at a little less than 60 nm.Terminal VOR's should be read at a little less than 37 nm.Flight Sim doesn't do a very good job at simulating altitude and terrain restrictions / limits on VOR or NDB signals.