Sign in to follow this  
danielerou

Altitudes in approach procedure

A question about  approaching and landing an airport.

I correctly receive the clearance to start the descent and the approach procedure, which I execute perfectly. From this moment P2ATC no longer gives me altitude indications, for example: descend to FL100 or other altitudes.

Is it normal not to have these indications? Is it perhaps sufficient to follow the procedure precisely? Thank you.

details / details / details .......

for now, cheers

john martin

4 hours ago, danielerou said:

A question about  approaching and landing an airport.

I correctly receive the clearance to start the descent and the approach procedure, which I execute perfectly. From this moment P2ATC no longer gives me altitude indications, for example: descend to FL100 or other altitudes.

Is it normal not to have these indications? Is it perhaps sufficient to follow the procedure precisely? Thank you.

That's it. Once you are cleared the approach, ATC is expecting you to adhere to the procedure while they focuses on the flow. They know what you should be doing and will plan based on it. Departures are the same way unless they vector you off of the departure. If they clear you to 10,000, you still have to stop at 3000 if it's in the departure to hold you down for that section for what ever reason. Arrivals are different. They may clear you for a STAR and still give you altitudes along the way. If they say descend VIA the "_" arrival, they are expecting you to meet all the altitudes just as you would the approach.

3 hours ago, G550flyer said:

That's it. Once you are cleared the approach, ATC is expecting you to adhere to the procedure while they focuses on the flow. They know what you should be doing and will plan based on it. Departures are the same way unless they vector you off of the departure. If they clear you to 10,000, you still have to stop at 3000 if it's in the departure to hold you down for that section for what ever reason. Arrivals are different. They may clear you for a STAR and still give you altitudes along the way. If they say descend VIA the "_" arrival, they are expecting you to meet all the altitudes just as you would the approach.

No...if ATC issues an altitude clearance while on a SID, you climb unrestricted to that altitude and all of the SID altitude restrictions are considered cancelled.

From the AIM para 5-2-9(h)(8):  https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim_html/chap5_section_2.html

8. If prior to or after takeoff an altitude restriction is issued by ATC, all previously issued “ATC" altitude restrictions are canceled including those published on a SID. Pilots must still comply with all speed restrictions and lateral path requirements published on the SID unless canceled by ATC.

EXAMPLE-

Prior to takeoff or after departure ATC issues an altitude change clearance to an aircraft cleared to climb via a SID but ATC no longer requires compliance with published altitude restrictions:“Climb and maintain flight level two four zero.”

NOTE-

The published SID altitude restrictions are canceled; The aircraft should comply with the SID lateral path and begin an unrestricted climb to FL240. Compliance with published speed restrictions is still required unless specifically deleted by ATC.

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1 hour ago, Bob Scott said:

No...if ATC issues an altitude clearance while on a SID, you climb unrestricted to that altitude and all of the SID altitude restrictions are considered cancelled.

Let me make this more clear. I am speaking of being CLEARED via the SID. Not a change to the SID.

Bob's statement regarding the US is accurate, but it's important to note that there are differences in terminology and regulations when it comes to international flight operations in countries such as the UK, UAE, and China. A helpful resource for navigating these differences is the AIP. For instance, airlines often have specific guidelines for these countries, outlining differences in ATC communications and procedures. To ensure safety and prevent any mishaps, we receive documentation before each flight that serves as a reminder of these distinctions. I forgot to mention that this applies to both SID and STAR.

Edited by LRBS
SID x STAR

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090