Sign in to follow this  
basys

This close to giving up with FSX...

Guest DenhamPPL

Hi allHave spent the last year doing some "real" flying courtesy of my UK PPL and IMC rating but cost, pressure of work and bad UK weather have tempted me to spend some more time attempting to enjoy some virtual flying in FSX.Until recently I had FSX installed on my C drive but after trying to install a large 3rd party add-on I realised I was about to run out of space (the addon wouldnt let me install on any other drive) so I uninstalled FSX and attempted to reinstall it on one of my other SATA drives. The installation and verification process were fine but will FSX run? No! Even with the SP1 patch I am unable to run FSX on any HDD other than my C drive:(This is unacceptable to me as I want to keep the OS C drive as clear as possible.I have searched these and other forums to try and find a solution as to why FSX won't work on any drive other than C. All the other drives are defragged regularily. FS2004 works perfectly on my other drives so why won't FSX!Both FS2002 and FS2004 were a big help in my gaining the UK IMC rating and I find them excellent training aids for practising IFR procedures. It would be SO nice if FSX could work properly so I can continue to enhance my virtual flying experience when I am unable to do the real thing!Any ideas,thoughts or solutions?DenhamPPL

Guest JSPuonti

How exactly does the problem manifest itself? You've obviously been able to install FSX onto a drive other than C and even patch it. But when you run the executable, what happens? Do you get an error message? Does it start loading but then suddenly quit? Nothing at all?

Guest DenhamPPL

It all goes wrong when I click on the FSX exe to run the program. The FSX logo comes up for a few seconds then I get the usual XP error message "FSX has to close...." etc.

Guest UlfB

Hi,I've installed FSX on a separate drive. My boot drive is E: and FSX is installed on a separate drive F: No problems at all running FSX.The uninstall of FSX from your C: drive was successfull, and the install of FSX and SP1 on your other drive was successfull. Very strange. Did you fire up FSX (pre SP1) before installing any addons, such as FSUIPC? If no, I'd try to disable all add-ons manually in the dll.xml and exe.xml files, and the try to start FSXUlf B

I have never heard of anyone having this issue with FSX. This leads me to the only logical conclusion, and that is that you have a system config issue. These can be solved...but you will need to provide more information so people can assist youPlease post your entire specs. That means hardware (disk configuration: number of hd's, NTFS or FAT?, RAID or no RAID?, interface, SATA or IDE and which ones, your motherboard, your cpu, your memory, your video card, your vid card driver, your version of Windows, etc.) and installed software (do you have Nero installed?).RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

As obvious as this is, are you trying to run it from a shortcut on your desktop that points to another location or old location for FSX?

Guest CocoLoco

Just thought I would confirm that it is possible to uninstall FSX from your C drive and install it on another drive (an external drive in my case). I did this on my Mac and have had no problems. I now have a 300+GB external drive for all my PC games with a big chunk of it already taken up by FSX.I realise I'm not offering a solution but at least I can tell you I have succeeded in doing what you are trying to do. Do you still have FS2004 on your machine since it might be a combination of an install plus reinstall plus FS2004 lurking in the background...

Guest Mike707

Good information regarding installing FSX on an external drive. Just wondering what benefits a person can get from doing that. That might be something worthwhile doing. Thanks.

>Hi all>>Have spent the last year doing some "real" flying courtesy of>my UK PPL and IMC rating but cost, pressure of work and bad UK>weather have tempted me to spend some more time attempting to>enjoy some virtual flying in FSX.>>Until recently I had FSX installed on my C drive but after>trying to install a large 3rd party add-on I realised I was>about to run out of space (the addon wouldnt let me install on>any other drive) so I uninstalled FSX and attempted to>reinstall it on one of my other SATA drives. >>The installation and verification process were fine but will>FSX run? No! Even with the SP1 patch I am unable to run FSX on>any HDD other than my C drive:(>>This is unacceptable to me as I want to keep the OS C drive as>clear as possible.>>I have searched these and other forums to try and find a>solution as to why FSX won't work on any drive other than C.>All the other drives are defragged regularily. FS2004 works>perfectly on my other drives so why won't FSX!>>Both FS2002 and FS2004 were a big help in my gaining the UK>IMC rating and I find them excellent training aids for>practising IFR procedures. It would be SO nice if FSX could>work properly so I can continue to enhance my virtual flying>experience when I am unable to do the real thing!>>Any ideas,thoughts or solutions?>>DenhamPPL>>I have re-installed six times using two hard-drives.Are you using a raid setup?

>Good information regarding installing FSX on an external>drive. Just wondering what benefits a person can get from>doing that. That might be something worthwhile doing. >Thanks.Sure that can be done.The problem with that is, external drives typically have slower performance than internal drives.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest DenhamPPL

"Are you using a raid setup?"No I have one SATA and one IDE HDD. The C/E drives are on the SATA drive.Is there a way I can copy my system info to a text file and paste here rather than going through the system manually writing down my PC setup?Here's some quick info..Windows XP SP2Pentium 4 3GHz 2 GB RAMNvidia GeForce 6800 with Omega 1.6693 drivers2 x HDD (1 x SATA, 1 x IDE)M AUDIO Audiophile Sound CardI thought it could be because my C drive is not "compressed" but I tried installing FSX on my G partition (also uncompressed) and it makes no difference. FSX works only on the C drive:(

Guest UlfB

Hi,As Janne Puonti asked:"How exactly does the problem manifest itself? You've obviously been able to install FSX onto a drive other than C and even patch it. But when you run the executable, what happens? Do you get an error message? Does it start loading but then suddenly quit? Nothing at all?"This is the most important info at this point. Please answer Jannes question.Ulf B

Guest DenhamPPL

Hi Ulf BProcess below:1: Click on the FSX.exe file and the FSX startup graphic appears.2: Wait approx 30 secs3: Standard XP error window comes up saying program has to close and offers to restart the applicationI should have made a note of the Windows technical log message. In fact I'll go into my logs on the main PC (the flightsim one) and see if I can find out what it said before I uninstalled it.RegardsDenhamPPL

I suspect the problem is that the uninstall of FSX was not clean. You might have to search out all possible bits of data from your my documents and %appdata% and get rid of them. When doing %appdata% make sure you get not just your user but also all users. Of course that means uninstalling again first. If you want to investigate, you might be able to look into individual files in these places, and see if old paths to C: were left in.You might also be able to get procmon utility and see if you can figure out when FSX is getting stuck. The problem I've had in start up issues is that there are many calls into various "crypto" folders and also "SxS" and things like that that I don't understand. I've had problems where FSX wouldn't start, either ending silently or putting up a "program is missing a component" box. One or two reboots solves that for me.scott s..

Guest UlfB

DenhamPPL,Did you install any add-ons such as FSUIPC that installs DLL-files? If you have, try to disable them and then start FSX.Ulf B