Sign in to follow this  
DadJokeCinema

FSX-SP2 Details post should be next Monday or Tuesday

Guest RonB49

>I really dont understand the hostility toward Microsoft. >. . .>to keep the business healthy.I agree Speed; well said. R-

>So if I'm correct, Acceleration is not an add-on but a branch>of FSX. You are incorrect in your assumption(s).Acceleration is an add-on.In the process of developing Acceleration, new variables and new features have been added, and as well some fixes have been made to the existing platform.Those new features and variables require an SP2 update, but most especially so that all the new "fixes" can update the exisiting FSX platform for non-Acceleration users.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Daniel42

Well, of course from the view of a consumer FSX:A is an add-on, as they must own FSX to be able to use FSX:A, but from what I read in this thread my opinion as a software developer is that FSX:A is a branch.But regardless of the definition, what I wondered about was whether the FSX+SP2 will be a different build than FSX+A as this will affect memory peeking/poking add-ons.Daniel

Guest evo9mr

Cant wait to see what feature DX10 will bring to the table visual wise.

P-12c just reported that Acceleration is done and his sights are on FS11. Maybe that clears Phil to release all the waited for details on SP2, and the final Acceleration product. Should be some nice screenshots showing up soon!

Guest Vilk

there's "healthy" and there's "healthy"organisms fare better if they do get a bit sick every now and then, but are able to survive a major infection when they have asked for ityou ask for it with your product. sometimes market response becomes the infection. "hostility" may not be "healthy" but it does promote health;-)ps. some companies fail to survive

Yeah me two.I thought one of the things to help FSX perform better with applicable video cards was Direct X 10 and that was due out this Fall ( spring here) but it has turned into sp2 and this payware aceration update.On my other PC with Vista 64 bit on it, last time I checked it only had Direct X 9 ( but that was a few months ago)Is it because my new Dell XPS system came with Vista 32bit ( option of 64bit included) that direct X 10 is on itOr has there been a windows update for Vista over the past few months that I adn't noticed.I don't have auto update enabled, I have notify me and let me choose updates.Sorry if I confuse people, because I think I have confused myself.!!CheersPhilps any idea yet how much the payware version of the acceration patch or whatever it is will cost?

>ps any idea yet how much the payware version of the acceration>patch or whatever it is will cost?$29.99

Guest Speed

Very cryptic reply there. I assume you mean MS has lots of money so they dont have a right to be trying to get more.ACES team survive only on FS profits, not on Windows profits. If the FS division can generate more income then the FS franchise will improve for all of us.ACES is still supplying sp2 for free, you just get it earlier if you pay for the expansion. The only complaint that can be raised about that is that some people want it sooner or they will be upset. Maybe they will hold their breath and stamp their feet too.

I don't really think that there's a general hostility in the flight sim community towards MS or Aces, but I do think that there's a general hostility towards MS products in general. Fair or not, some criticism is healthy and needed by competitors to leverage their products.As for being the only flight simulator: Not true. There is X-Plane with many features that FSX can only dream of, but then also many features that FSX does better. There was: The Fly Series, Pro Pilot and Flight Unlimited which held up actually pretty well against the MS Flightsim series and may believe that a next-gen Fly! would have re-shuffled the flightsim market. But it never happened and probabably never will, so we have 2 excellent flight sim that are both as different and similar at the same time as it can be.It's doesn't have anything to do with money, but I think everyone agrees that FSX and Vista were really not off to a good start and if it weren't for the excellent 3rd party add-ons, FSX would be just half as much fun. I would say that 90% of the regular posters in here would have no problem at all paying $200 for a flight sim. Heck, the average user in here as probably 4-5 addons, each for a price tag of $30-$50.Pat

Guest Speed

I'm sure you're right that there is much spill over anger over Vista and its huge price tag for a OS that doesnt seem to give much more than a prettier interface. I have a Vista box next to me but havent yet found a reason to install it. I am in no way defending MS as a whole, only the FS division.Yes I was thinking while writing my original post that I was not giving X-Plane a fair go. I dont really like it but I do admire its ability to create true flight based on physics.However you do prove my point by listing all the extinct flight sims (I bought all of them btw). The market is too niche to complain about pricing, we only risk having MSFS go the way of Fly, or FU (I think both those titles have prophetic names).I remember major complaints about the high price of FSX deluxe and I can imagine the venomous posts that would have followed an attempt at a $200 FSX, and that is just with the passionate MSFS people on AVsim, imagine the average gamer that constitutes the majority of the sales.

The people who complained about a potential $200 flight sim are probably not regulars, because I bet that the average user in here has spent in excess of $200 for addons. In my case, I easily spent a good $500 on FS9 and would spend the same amount for a highly specialized, tested and well integrated sim.I could see a great potential of revenue for FAA certifications selling the sim to flight schools. I would probably even go as far as claiming that X-Plane makes an equal share of its revenue with commercial FAA-approved licenses. But I am not an expect, nor a financial analyst, nor do I have any idea how many copies are sold of any of the commercial sims.Give X-Plane a try and download the demo. You might be impressed. Take a look at the sloped runways and the night lighting the autogen... and frame rates in excess of 70fps (hint, hint). However, frown about the lack of ATC, lack of traffic and some of the goodies that make MSFS truly great.Pat

Guest Speed

All good points Pat.I have spent several thousand on software and peripherals to have FS as real as it gets. I too would gladly spend hundreds on a more accurate and complete version of FS however I dont think there are enough of us to make it a viable market. According to wiki FS is not even in the top 50 of highest selling game franchises. Even still I think X-Plane's annual revenue would probably pay for ACES to be in business for 2 weeks and then they would get transferred to Halo 4 on X-Box.The lack of traffic and ATC definitely kills X-Plane for me. I fly in FS to practice for real world flying. Traffic and ATC are the main things to focus on in RL (well, not getting lost, avoiding bad weather, and landing safely are helpful too). Not that I'm lecturing you as you would have more hours being IFR and all.On Sunday I flew from Danbury, CT to Columbus County, NY and had two near misses on the way up, one in particular was much closer than the usual near misses. If not for my Zaon PCAS (portable collision avoidance system) I'm not certain I'd be here to be ranting about sp2. In fact I think I have a new appreciation for life since almost being side swipped by a Baron.I really wish someone would make a PCAS add on (not a TCAS, they work differently).P.S. How do I get my HW Specs signature to be a small font like yours?

Where the dx10 pics @?________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup