Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

MS/Asobo and opening Weather / Camera SDK to 3rd Parties

28 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

As for weather, what we currently have is much, much better than FSX/P3D have ever provided

I hear that a lot, and I won't argue against it. But does that change any of the shortcomings or is sufficient reason not to ask for the exploitation of the full potential of a probably much more capable engine?

• Like 3

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

Thanks for the heads up! I missed this! I really hope someone will be able to add historic weather to MSFS. It's sorely missed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Tom_L said:

I hear that a lot, and I won't argue against it. But does that change any of the shortcomings or is sufficient reason not to ask for the exploitation of the full potential of a probably much more capable engine?

There will always be shortcomings when we are talking about simulation software. I have always used 3rd. party weather solutions on other sims, and would happily use them in MSFS if  there is indeed "a much more capable engine" available in the future. What I can report currently is that I have never experienced a more believable and enjoyable weather solution as I currently have in MSFS, regardless of the obvious limitations.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

24 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

There will always be shortcomings when we are talking about simulation software. I have always used 3rd. party weather solutions on other sims, and would happily use them in MSFS if  there is indeed "a much more capable engine" available in the future. What I can report currently is that I have never experienced a more believable and enjoyable weather solution as I currently have in MSFS, regardless of the obvious limitations.

I agree after two decades of AS I hope we won't return to that part of simulation. The WX is far better as we ever had, it need still adjustments. 

Edited by virtualstuff
  • Like 7

André

No doubt giving complete read/write/mod 3rd party access to *all* parts of the sim would be the ideal situation.  But in the real world of software dev, where priorities have to be weighed for what the core sim development team focuses on, the need to open up the weather system was/is not that great... and that's entirely due to their core/default weather system being so good for a vast majority of MSFS users, simple as that. Of course it could be better, but it's not a need-ASAP better.

That's the one thing that MSFS has completely upended in the flight sim scene (and I think for the better), in that what it provides in the default sim, and continues to add/provide to the default sim, is increasingly raising the bar (be it scenery, aircraft fidelity, avionics/systems fidelity, weather, etc)... so much so that it either negates the need for the traditional 3rd party content, or ensures only compelling high quality 3rd party content stand out.

Now that we're into 2+ years since the sim came out, what used to be lower priority items are starting to be considered, such as opening up weather for 3rd party modification/writing. And that definitely is goodness.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 4

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

3 hours ago, Iadbound said:

Chaseplane. Camera system still leaves much to be desired. 

Are you saying Chaseplane needs improvement, or you want Chaseplane, as the basic camera system is lacking?

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

For what its worth, I  actually think the default global weather model implementation is pretty good.  There have been some quirks for sure, but I've gradually moved away from the obsession of wanting a METAR based system, specifically

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Having read through that topic it’s curious how little it was discussed. If it does get the green light and Hi-Fi have enough info it will be interesting to see how they can change the weather. They are the experts in the other two major sims.

They have no experience with volumetric/voxel-based cloud depictions but from reading Damian's comments they're willing to try.  Very very different environments.

Perhaps Ray can comment on this:  you mentioned not long ago you did not use the volumetric-based clouds in P3D.   Did HiFi do anything w/ P3D's version of that?

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

5 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

They might even be able to create cirrus clouds. 😉

👍I am hopeful that opening it up will also lead to better textures at all levels. Like I believe you mentioned earlier, I previously relied on HiFi for accurate weather depiction. At the same time I relied on REX for cloud textures and themes.  Much of the time the bad weather MSFS clouds look more to me like the blown-in attic insulation in this image than any form of reasonable clouds.  ATIS/AWOS also needs to have the dew points fixed, or even dropped from the broadcasts.  Totally embarassing to have some dew points higher than the temps.  And MSFS DPs seem to always be either 10° or 12°.

image.png.0f559a19ff949728e5cde384d2a47f02.png

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

17 minutes ago, Noel said:

Perhaps Ray can comment on this:  you mentioned not long ago you did not use the volumetric-based clouds in P3D.   Did HiFi do anything w/ P3D's version of that?

Can’t recall as having them enabled was too much for my 1080Ti. I’ve stuck with the non-EA option and VC=off which gives me the best performance and looks.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

5 hours ago, Tom_L said:

Although having gained sufficient accuracy (over the course of 18 months since SU7) in terms of where clouds and weather phenomena in general (rain, snow, visibilty) are simulated, Live Weather often lacks a plausible and convincing depiction, as cloud rendering is cumulus centric and neglects atmospheric conditions.
As an example, multilayered stratiform cloudscapes associated with warm fronts are inaccurately rendered with high reaching convective clouds in the sim. High overcast layers seem to be missing, higher level clouds generally seem to be generic.
Cirrus clouds are missing entirely, although attempts with thin layers of convective clouds are honorable. Reduced visibilty is simulated primarily when associated with precipitation, aerosol density doesn't seem to be implemented.

Thank you for being a voice of the short-comings of the weather engine! 

Whenever I complain here, I get shot down with 'oh they can't make it perfect for the few people with the weather pet-peeve'.

Yes, weather depiction is much better than all previous flight simulators, but still far from real world and as you said: cumulus centric. There are 16 cloud types defined in the real world, at least 13 are missing in MSFS. 

They promised to make a sim for simmers, so far, in the weather department, it is very much 'gamefied', simplified and in a sense very basic.

Opening up for 3rd parties can only help to improve things as flight sim history has shown many times. 

Edited by Silicus
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

3 hours ago, virtualstuff said:

I agree after two decades of AS I hope we won't return to that part of simulation.

...  Popular opinion these days, and probably why we don't have API access yet.  The campaign against weather add-ons (or I guess just HiFi?) is significant.  Glad to see that other opinions are being considered though, more API access will benefit everyone.

Edited by Damian Clark
  • Like 14
  • Upvote 1

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

There is no downside to opening up the weather api.  If a better mousetrap comes along, then we the consumer wins.  I have no doubt MS will continue to work on and refine what they’ve created, but as Jorg himself stated, there’s only so much they can do.  This is how we ended up with Working Title.

• Like 5

Gary

i9-13900K, Asus RTX 4080, Asus Z790 Plus Wi-Fi, 32 GB Ram, Seasonic GX-1000W, LG C1 48” OLED 4K monitor, Quest 3 VR

As discussed a few months ago without improving on voxel density or cloud resolution depiction of the various types of cloud morphology is difficult to impossible.  Currently what we have in MSFS IMO is about as good as it's going to get w/o improving resolution--it's like trying to make sharp-edged, distinct shapes w/ cotton.  I think there is room now, hardware-wise, to address this, but I wonder how much any 3rd party can address this element.  Maybe Damian can speak to that.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X