Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

MS/Asobo and opening Weather / Camera SDK to 3rd Parties

Although this thread may have run its course, the Youtube algorithm just washed up this video for me, that demonstrates where all those "fine for me" candidates are missing out: the challenge to commence your flight safely despite adverse weather conditions. 

Prerequisites currently missing in MSFS: Wx Radar, convincing depiction of storms and physics like turbulence and icing.

• Like 2

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

All else being equal I'd rather see HiFi hired by MS/A to update the weather modeling in the core sim. Farming this level of fundamentals out may be of necessity for smaller devs like LR but for an entity the size and scope of MS they could afford to do it in house.   Atmospherics and weather are just too fundamental IMM.

• Like 6

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

On 5/18/2023 at 9:43 AM, Tom_L said:

outube algorithm just washed up this video for me

As they approach that line of storms, the clouds look like majestic guards of the air, just the presence and look of them say "STAY AWAY!" - yup that's what we need in MSFS! And of course the consequences of not staying away or at least navigating through between the cells (and even then you never know what kind of strong winds, windshear or turbulence you may encounter!)...

Edited by KERNEL32
  • Like 2

Unfortunately no matter how nice weather depiction can look sometimes in MFS, the corresponding mechanical effects are pretty much absent, as 737NG Driver mentions in his latest AA2 B2 evaluation video:

For me this is one of the major drawbacks of using ASOBO's weather engine only. OFC only proper access to the internal variable could allow developers like HiFi to do their magic... 

As it is right now, and since quite a while (tamed around SU6 if I'm not wrong) is totally useless / ridiculous...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

This is the single most needed thing in MSFS at the moment (that and SODE)

Edited by UAL4life
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, UAL4life said:

This is the single most needed thing in MSFS at the moment (that and SODE)

Remind me what SODE did for P3D.  What I remember most is the absolutely herky-jerky animation in its jetways animation.  I was so happy to see that go away when I installed MSFS.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

8 hours ago, Noel said:

Remind me what SODE did for P3D.  What I remember most is the absolutely herky-jerky animation in its jetways animation.  I was so happy to see that go away when I installed MSFS.

Well, SODE at least allowed us to have double jetways (along with a bunch of other in sim animations that may or may not be needed in MSFS). So I'd definitely welcome it. 

Given MSFS is so much about scenery I'm surprised after 3 years they (or a 3rd party) haven't managed to implement the ability to use multiple jetways. I figure if it was in any way possible @virtual and FSDT would have done it as part of GSX. So I'm guessing its not possible.

• Like 1

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

1 minute ago, KL Oo said:

Given MSFS is so much about scenery I'm surprised after 3 years they (or a 3rd party) haven't managed to implement

For me watching all of MSFS unfold it became apparent just how vast the workload and scope really is in developing something like this.  Plus, I think it's easy to dismiss all of what has already been done, and never been done before for that matter in terms of planet scope ortho scenery for the masses at budget prices.  Then there are the steady arriving World Updates, all included in the original price.  So some important but perhaps minor things have yet to be addressed.  My fantasy is they will hopefully get it to a point were a lot of small but meaningful amendments to the sim can become the major focus, for a change.  Right now there are still bigger fish including weather and ATC, seasons, ad infinitum.  It's really only been 2.8y since launch and to realize just how good it already is in many ways.  It's a giant feat that continues to evolve.  But yes...where are the simple fly-by and tower views dang it!  Aurora Borealis and shooting stars!  And trains!  Would love to see them on tracks moving across the landscape!  🤞🤞🤞

• Like 4

Noel

3 hours ago, Noel said:

And trains!  Would love to see them on tracks moving across the landscape!  🤞🤞🤞

I'd love to see that too, but the thought kind of scares me considering the car/truck traffic we have now, not done particularly well. I turned it off. I'm not asking for the traffic to be improved as there are much bigger issues to take care of at the moment...popping/morphing textures, mountains, and coastlines are at the top of my list.

3 hours ago, Noel said:

And trains!  Would love to see them on tracks moving across the landscape!  🤞🤞🤞

Don't tempt them!! Knowing Asobo they'll probably develop this bit of eye candy before they fix the airborne AI!

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

5 hours ago, KL Oo said:

Don't tempt them!! Knowing Asobo they'll probably develop this bit of eye candy before they fix the airborne AI!

This has been demanded since alpha times (if I am allowed to say this 😉). You will also find a voting thread for trains on the Official Forum with  631 votes (me included) right now.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/i-miss-trains/163394

The current MS Wishlist includes it as "not started", which realistically means not within a year's time, probably longer.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

1 hour ago, pmb said:

This has been demanded since alpha times (if I am allowed to say this 😉). You will also find a voting thread for trains on the Official Forum with  631 votes (me included) right now.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/i-miss-trains/163394

The current MS Wishlist includes it as "not started", which realistically means not within a year's time, probably longer.

Kind regards, Michael

Well thats good - because if they put bloody AI trains into the sim before they fix the currently disaster that is AI Aircraft traffic I'll throw my PC out the window 

Kael Oswald

3 minutes ago, KL Oo said:

Well thats good - because if they put bloody AI trains into the sim before they fix the currently disaster that is AI Aircraft traffic I'll throw my PC out the window 

Do people not really understand that companies have teams that work in various areas?

• Like 2

Just now, Lucky38i said:

Do people not really understand that companies have teams that work in various areas?

I have no idea what people think mate. 

Kael Oswald

This thread is confusing. I've read all of the "Whys" as to why people have objections, and none of them have managed to convince me that there is a valid reason to not want this. 

1. Opening the API to allow 3rd parties to modify the weather would not prevent the built in weather from working as it does now. Asobo can continue to work on it as planned. 
  2. It would give 3rd party apps the ability to disable the built in weather, and replace it with it's own. 
  3. If you do not install a 3rd party weather app, you will experience no changes at all.
  4. If you do want extended weather functionality, then you have the option available to you.
  5. The API's already exist. Asobo uses them to inject the weather into the sim now. It will not take development time away from Asobo. They need to "open" them up (simply change the permissions, or scope of the functions in the code) so that they may be "seen" by external apps.
  6. The most significant effort for Asobo would be writing the documentation. Clearly, some documentation for these APIs already exists. Asobo's own developers must have learned how to use them from somewhere.

I personally would love to see AS for MSFS.

@Damian Clark - PLEASE build it if Asobo opens them up! I sorely miss the ability to fly in historical weather... and the other stuff, too!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440