Sign in to follow this  
Guest MauiHawk

FYI- "FEX release within hours"

Harry,They're working on a solution to the issue. It appears to be related to the use of the coupon.Regards,Jim Karn

I have yet to see any improvements or features over X Graphics, so I guess I'll stick with X Graphics ($34.99) for now before I go with FEX ($44.95). An important feature for me is that X Graphics integrates seamlessly with Active Sky, which has become a de-facto standard for weather simulation. ASX has also the ability to automatically set the best-fitting set of textures based on real-life weather integrated in one program, compared to opening ASX for weather generation and then another program to set/select textures, which is a desirable feature that I didn't notice on the FEX website.I am big fan to "keep it simple" and just don't like the idea to have to open 5 different programs before I can even start up the flight sim. I hated in FS9 to open AS, GE, FE, FS Build, FS Flight Keeper, FS Passengers, etc and think that it would be really innovative to auto-start everything based on profiles when starting up FS.This is just based on my subjective comparison of screenshots from both offerings. I am sure that FEX is stunning, but I don't see currently any need for X Graphics users to pick it up.I've had both GE and FE for FS9 and I have to admit that I rarely used FE in favor of the AS textures. GE on the other hand was a stunning and impressive improvement, so I am holding my breath a little more for GEX.Pat

Guest PPSFA

>I have yet to see any improvements or features over X>Graphics, so I guess I'll stick with X Graphics ($34.99) for>now before I go with FEX ($44.95). I'm not sure how you can compare then without actually having both installed? I do have both, and I do see a huge improvement with the graphics. They actually complement each other. I use XG for runways, lighting etc, and FEX for clouds, water, sky.>>An important feature for me is that X Graphics integrates>seamlessly with Active Sky, which has become a de-facto>standard for weather simulation. ASX has also the ability to>automatically set the best-fitting set of textures based on>real-life weather integrated in one program, compared to>opening ASX for weather generation and then another program to>set/select textures, which is a desirable feature that I>didn't notice on the FEX website.I also have AS, but I no longer use it as it does not work when hosting multiplayer sessions. Plus AS has to be running in the background which is more resource use.>>I am big fan to "keep it simple" and just don't like the idea>to have to open 5 different programs before I can even start>up the flight sim. I hated in FS9 to open AS, GE, FE, FS>Build, FS Flight Keeper, FS Passengers, etc and think that it>would be really innovative to auto-start everything based on>profiles when starting up FS.Once you set the options you want in FEX, you never need to open it again unless you want to change something.>>This is just based on my subjective comparison of screenshots>from both offerings. I am sure that FEX is stunning, but I>don't see currently any need for X Graphics users to pick it>up.Stunning doesnt begin to describe FEX, the textures and resolutions blow everything else available out of the water.>>I've had both GE and FE for FS9 and I have to admit that I>rarely used FE in favor of the AS textures. GE on the other>hand was a stunning and impressive improvement, so I am>holding my breath a little more for GEX.To each his own, but IMHO FEX surpasses every texture I have seen from other programs, hands down.

>>I'm not sure how you can compare then without actually having both >installed? I do have both, and I do see a huge improvement with the >graphics. They actually complement each other. I use XG for runways, >lighting etc, and FEX for clouds, water, sky.>Hi,How do you actually differentiate between XG and FEX? If you change any XG settings don't you overwrite all the FEX textures and vice versa?regards, harry

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Guest PPSFA

>Hi,>How do you actually differentiate between XG and FEX? If you>change any XG settings don't you overwrite all the FEX>textures and vice versa?Both have an Options page where you can select what to install from each

This is true for FEX. But I cannot see this in XG. IMO, if I install a theme in XG it will allways overwrite also the clouds, sky and water textures which have been loaded before with FEX. regards, harry

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Guest PPSFA

In XG, go to the Options page then Advanced Install Options, you can select/unselect any option there. It will only install those that are checked

You are right! Thank you!harry

- Harry 

Guest PPSFA

>Question before purchasing FEX.>>Does the current FEX release include a real-time weather>engine that scans METAR data and sends it through SimConnect>to FSX? (like ASX)>>If not I will stick with ASX and XGE for now, until the free>update includes a real-time weather engine.>No, but it will with the upcoming free update. However, it works just fine with the default FSX realtime weather. AS doesnt work with multiplayer, so thats a show stopper for me.

Guest PPSFA

>Hi All,>>Yes, ASX does work with MP, if you all connect first and then>start ASX. This is a MP situation from MS.Ok, let me clarify it. AS works in MP if you are joining a session. AS works in MP if you are hosting a session, as long as you do NOT start it before ALL others join the session. Once the host starts AS, NO other players can join, period. And if a players leaves for any reason, you cannot rejoin even if the host shuts down AS. This a a 'showstopper' for anyone who wants to join a MP session with the host running AS, unless they join before the host starts AS.Its a known issue.

Guest JSPuonti

A question for those of you who are already using FEX (or the FEX developers if they happen to be around):The FEX website says "The technology in FEX allows individual adjustment of all texture parameters ON THE FLY." (emphasis mine)Does this mean that if I'm using real-time weather in FSX and the weather changes from sunny to overcast, FEX will automatically change my "bright and sunny" ground and water textures to a "duller" theme that goes along with the overcast weather?I had this same question for the ActiveSky folks way back when they released ActiveSky Graphics (I don't have ASX yet) and back then, with FS9, swapping textures on the fly was not possible. FEX's website suggests that with FSX it is now possible.Is this true, or is that "on the fly" bit an unfortunate and misleading choice of words?

Guest PPSFA

>A question for those of you who are already using FEX (or the>FEX developers if they happen to be around):>>The FEX website says "The technology in FEX allows individual>adjustment of all texture parameters ON THE FLY." (emphasis>mine)I think it is a bad choice of words. No program that I know of can change textures in FSX, once FSX is loaded.>>Does this mean that if I'm using real-time weather in FSX and>the weather changes from sunny to overcast, FEX will>automatically change my "bright and sunny" ground and water>textures to a "duller" theme that goes along with the overcast>weather?FEX is clouds, water, and sky conditons, not ground, although I have to say that a side effect seems to be sharper ground textures, but I have no way to 'prove' that. As has been said by many so far, this program completly changes the way FEX looks, and for some, actually improves performance. I fly with a group in multiplayer, and to a man, we haven't been able to shut up about this program since we installed it. Even the screen shots that have been posted cant do it justice, you have to see it to believe it

Guest JSPuonti

>I think it is a bad choice of words. No program that I know of>can change textures in FSX, once FSX is loaded.Alright, I hope they change it before someone gets their panties in a bunch over false promises ;)>FEX is clouds, water, and sky conditons, not ground, although>I have to say that a side effect seems to be sharper ground>textures, but I have no way to 'prove' that. That's strange - I saw some overcast screenshots and to me the ground textures seemed affected aswell (they were distinctly duller in color, which I have yet to see in out-of-the-box FSX). But I'll take your word for it. It could be that FEX affects lighting parameters and that caused the dull tone.