Sign in to follow this  
Guest MauiHawk

FYI- "FEX release within hours"

Guest MauiHawk

>>The FEX website says "The technology in FEX allows>individual>>adjustment of all texture parameters ON THE FLY." (emphasis>>mine)>>I think it is a bad choice of words. No program that I know of>can change textures in FSX, once FSX is loaded.I'm not so sure about that. I think adjusting textures per weather was supposed to be one of FEXs big features, though I'm not sure if that comes into play until they release their Wx engine. Also, I don't think "adjust" necessarily means an outright swap. This is pure conjecture since I really don't know much about FEX, but I think it may be possible to apply shader programs to cloud textures to programatically alter them in realtime. (Similar to how shaders are used to produce waves in realtime even though the ocean texture is static)

Guest JSPuonti

>This is pure conjecture since I really don't know much about>FEX, but I think it may be possible to apply shader programs>to cloud textures to programatically alter them in realtime. >(Similar to how shaders are used to produce waves in realtime>even though the ocean texture is static)Somehow I doubt that... If it was possible I imagine someone would have already created a "grass shader" to enhance grassy areas. Who could say no to what looks like grass waving in the wind? (even if the effect was only convincing at an altitude, since after all it IS just a texture)Or what about "waves of sand" blowing over deserts?Or powdery snow moving on the ground in the winter?But that's just my thoughts on using a shader to alter the color of specific textures. From past experience my stance on swapping textures on the fly is "it probably can't be done", as PPSFA suggested. I guess one of the FEX developers could set the whole thing straight for good :)On an entirely unrelated topic, I believe a certain critical new member of the community was recently reminded of this - but you two (PPSFA / MauiHawk) wouldn't happen to have real names to call you by? It's mandatory to have your real name showing in your sig on AVSim forums :)Just a friendly reminder from a peer. I'm not staff.

Guest tmilton

>I am really hope Avsim provides an objective review comparing>FEX and Activesky/XGraphics. I think this will be very useful>for all. I think that would be a good idea. In the meantime, I've already formed my opinion - FEX rocks all!There is no FPS hit at all, there are no problems with multiplayer, and it looks downright gorgeous!! FEX is simply a magnificent masterpiece that will immensely enhance your FSX experience.Take this advice, get it now! You will truly be amazed.

Hi Janne,That statement was referring to the options available within the program interface itself, allowing users to make broad changes to various textures and view them instantaneously.Regards,Jim Karn

Guest JSPuonti

Ah! Well, as you can see it wasn't instantly obvious to myself atleast :)

No, and I can see why someone could read into that statement exactly what you were thinking. I had to read it a couple of times to understand what they were trying to convey.Regards,Jim Karn

Guest danny68

I've just got this program and it's awesome.I would not put it past these guys to come up with some lateral tinking and to find a way to change textures on the fly.If it reads like they can do I will put money on it they can.

Guest MauiHawk

... I was kinda hoping you'd chime in about what it meant about modifying textures on the fly. Could you clear this up for us?>On an entirely unrelated topic, I believe a certain critical>new member of the community was recently reminded of this ->but you two (PPSFA / MauiHawk) wouldn't happen to have real>names to call you by? It's mandatory to have your real name>showing in your sig on AVSim forums :)>>Just a friendly reminder from a peer. I'm not staff.AFAIK, that rule is just for PMDG's forum. If I'm wrong about that, its certainly not enforced outside of PMDG's forum.

I also have the Graphics X package but although the clouds looked GOOD they were always wanting. What FEX offers is 1024 byte textures that really open up the feel of the clouds and the result is more realism. Besides the larger textures, there is much greater variety that notches things up also. Give it a try and you will understand this.Kudos to the FEX team!jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Guest Xiderpunk

Hi doh, sorry missed this until now!To explain and state clearly. We will change textures on-the-fly dynamically and without restarting FSX. However this is something we are doing with the Environment Simulator which if you like is the sister product to FEX. FEX currently does no dynamic adjustment of textures automatically according to environmental factors, but this will change in a very big way when the Environment Simulator is done.The weather engine component of the Environment Simulator is the free upgrade to FEX. So the same principals will apply, as in dynamically altering textures and inserting them into FSX whilst you are flying. If you look at all the design tools in FEX and see what can be adjusted, well those tools are a front-end gui on-to our technology which can all be used to dynamically create textures in real-time according to conditions.There are however some things we can't do and some we can, we will state exactly what will change in this fashion, closer to release.Hope that helps :-)Chris Norris

Guest JSPuonti

>AFAIK, that rule is just for PMDG's forum. If I'm wrong about>that, its certainly not enforced outside of PMDG's forum. Actually, you might be right - it could be that the requirement does not extend to signatures, just the "Name" field in the user profile (which is not visible to the public).

Guest JSPuonti

That sounds very interesting.Assuming you really are able to change ground textures on the fly (I'm guessing some of the limitations you hint at relate to photosceneries), I take it this is something that became possible with FSX and was not possible in FS9?

>>AFAIK, that rule is just for PMDG's forum. If I'm wrong>about>>that, its certainly not enforced outside of PMDG's forum. >>Actually, you might be right - it could be that the>requirement does not extend to signatures, just the "Name">field in the user profile (which is not visible to the>public).This is true. We do require the name field to have your first and last name. The reminder about this recently shows that I have been checking on that, and people should double check their profile and make sure it's there.

Guest MauiHawk

>This is true. We do require the name field to have your first>and last name. The reminder about this recently shows that I>have been checking on that, and people should double check>their profile and make sure it's there.:-eek