Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

My new computer...

My new computer arrived today.  When I sold my house and moved into a retirement community I bought a new Alienware Computer for flight simming.

1350 watt liquid cooled power supply.

13th gen Intel Corel i9 13900KF (24-core,68MB Total Cache.  3.0 to 5.8GHz P-Core)

64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz

4TB M.2 PCle NVMe Solid State Drive

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6X

Intel Killer Wi-Fi 6E AX1675, 2x2, 802.11ax, MUMIMO Bluetooth wireless card.

Don't ask me what all that means.  I have my guru coming over on Monday to set it all up for me.

The retirement home I'm in has limited WiFi so I have a remote hotspot from my phone service - T-Mobile.

Noel 

Edited by birdguy
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Congratulations, Noel, that's a powerful beast. If you're gonna do MSFS, check your T- Mobile data plan fine print. Or ask your guru to do that for you. Hope you enjoy it! 

• Like 1

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

My new computer arrived today.  When I sold my house and moved into a retirement community I bought a new Alienware Computer for flight simming.

Outstanding Noel! You will enjoy that monster computer immensely I am certain.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

Don't ask me what all that means.

I think it means that whenever you switch it on, the lights in the community home will all dim noticeably.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Dugald Walker

Your going to be the most popular old geezer in that retirement home for sure. Where is it? I might move in myself and I'm only 55. 🤣

• Like 2

8 hours ago, birdguy said:

1350 watt liquid cooled power supply.

Are you sure it's the PSU that's liquid cooled? Or did you mean the CPU?

There are a couple of water cooled PSU"s I know of, but of course, water cooling a PSU is totally unnecessary.

What's the PC model number?

Apart from the curiosity of water cooling a PSU, its a beast of a PC. 

Edited by martin-w

Yeah Martin, the CPU is liquid cooled, not the PSU.  My mistake.  Where do I find the model number?

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Everything looks good except for the limited wifi. Most hotspots often are not secure, but I imagine the T-Mobile hotspot is secure so nobody can read your passwords when you type them.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I have no choice but to go with a hotspot.  The resident WiFi here is limited.  Since I have had my phone, first with Sprint and then with T-Mobile after they took Sprint over, for 15 years or more.  I'm stuck with what I got.

Noel

2 hours ago, Fielder said:

Everything looks good except for the limited wifi. Most hotspots often are not secure, but I imagine the T-Mobile hotspot is secure so nobody can read your passwords when you type them.

That's why you encrypt at the protocol layer as well. Why would you ever trust the network that you don't control?

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

How much hot spot data do you get?  We visit a place in Florida with no internet and my wife burns through her basic allotment pretty quick.  IIRC we have to buy addon data for it.

scott s.

On 5/21/2023 at 7:56 AM, birdguy said:

Where do I find the model number?

Noel

I just meant what Alienware call it, so I could look at the specs and check out the said water cooled PSU.

But don't bother, as you say,  its the CPU that water cooled not the PSU, so no need.

Edited by martin-w

On 5/21/2023 at 10:12 PM, scott967 said:

How much hot spot data do you get?

I get 100GB a month.  However to install everything I had on a brand new system I had them set me up with 300GB until I get all my Orbx scenery and addons installed.  Then I will go back to the basic 100GB.

Noel

Hi Noel, which TM plan do you have?  Is it 5G UC capable where you are located?  I have TM also, and during a 4600 road trip we used the hotspot everywhere and had bandwidth of 80-300mbps.  We have the Magenta Max plan which includes unlimited data.

Noel

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X