Sign in to follow this  
Sky_Pilot071

Are You An MSFS One Trick Pony?

Not sure if it is just me but lately I only choose to fly 1 plane in MSFS and that is the MG HJET. 

Reasons are performance range and simplicity.  Not to say it is a simple aircraft but with a very cool VNAV and G3000 avionics it allows me to get into the air quickly and fly one of my 800 mile routes with ease.

Capable planes in MSFS abound but wondering if and why folks choose just 1 bird to fly.

Cheers

sp

Edited by Sky_Pilot071

What I fly may be a certain type but is not a single aircraft.

Recently mainly splitting time between:

• Wilga
  • Tiger Moth
  • Cessna 310
  • Sting S4
  • Black Square Turbo Baron
  • Bonanzas, mainly Black Square Turbo and the V Tail
  • occasional Warrior, Twin Navion, Beaver
Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 3

Fenix 320 and PMDG 737 here, 95% of the time...

• Like 6

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I have a rotation:

ATR, Fenix, PMDG 737s, A310, MD-88, CRJ

Usually I'll fly a certain type for 5-10 flights, then move on to something else.  But I make a big effort to fly them all.  

• Like 6

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Just Flight's non-turbo Arrow III, my first MSFS payware about 14 months ago, and one that continues to delight. Plenty of other aircraft in close second place, though.

Edited by Paul K
  • Like 3

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

55 minutes ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

Not sure if it is just me but lately I only choose to fly 1 plane in MSFS and that is the MG HJET. 

Reasons are performance range and simplicity.  Not to say it is a simple aircraft but with a very cool VNAV and G3000 avionics it allows me to get into the air quickly and fly one of my 800 mile routes with ease.

Capable planes in MSFS abound but wondering if and why folks choose just 1 bird to fly.\

The Hjet is cutting my logged hours back to to a degree.  It is getting me there sooner.....

Cheers

sp

I am with you. Since I returned home from some International travel last July, I have logged 347 Hjet hours and about 50 additonal hours spread between the modded Bonanza and Baron, and the Kodiak.  The Hjet has me hypnotized it is so good, and it continues to improve. It fits my sports teams schedules based flying to a T.  Another significant update is just around the corner.

The announced but likely some time off Turbine Beech Duke could steal some hours, 50/50 from the Hjet and Baron/Bonanza duo.  The Real Air Turbine Duke v2 (TDv2) was my go to aircraft in FSX and P3D, and still holds a special place in my simulator heart.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

There are a few planes I fly: the 414, HJet, and the PMDG 737 and that is about it. I tend to fly for weeks with one of them and then at some point switch to the other for a few weeks and inevitably cycle back. I have always been like this. I remember when the 737 came out in 2011 I flew it exclusively for several years! I tried to  learn every aspect of the plane, read the FCOM, signed into maintenance forums, and really enjoyed the experience of learning about the plane and flying it in all kinds of conditions. 

It is why I do not buy many planes; I am really selective. The only other ones I have purchased are the Arrows and the CRJ (both hangered and uninstalled) the Kodiak, which I fly once in a rare while, and the Fenix, which I think will enter my rotation once the next substantial update is released.

Dan Scott

I've flown most things depending on mood. Waiting for updated 787 will be ultra long hauling that.

Last few months, PMDG 737 97% of the time. Haven't flown the Fenix, since I got the 737.  

• Like 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

It's a very good topic!
Unless MSFS is your sole pre-occupation, there is little chance of getting to grips with more than a handful of the aircraft in this sim.
We are too spoiled for choice!
I made the mistake of having a look at the Hype H145 helicopter, and the depth of modelling provides ongoing education and entertainment.
The machine also wipes out the need for any GA as it can do anything from Tiger Moth flightseeing to Kingair IFR.
And it does plenty of stuff those cannot.

That just leaves the heaviest of metal.
I am wondering: Is the MSFS infrastructure ready for the full-on airliner experience?  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

As far as one trick pony, I guess it depends if you mean trying to fly or actually flying.
Some planes are kind of hard to fly without practice (like the BAE-146 falling out of the sky).

I try to fly almost everything, but 70% of the time it's usually the HJET, FSW 414, or something else random that I'm trying new. However, I make more mistakes or bad landings than I should be doing since I'm constantly rotating, so it hurts the confidence.

The HJet is the easiest to fly but only moderately easy to land (you can bounce it kind of easy). The easiest to land are the Flysimware 414 and several Carenado GA planes that can land slow. Microsoft-Asobo's ATR is also easy to land, but it pulls left in the air and has some weird issues. The ATR appears to be the most dangerous plane to take off in as you can easily stall right after take off. The Microsoft DC-3 is hard to climb in and has some BAD autopilot bugs (you need to be exactly around 100-105kts for a stable climb, otherwise it's up and down like a seesaw).

Of course many are easy to land if doing ILS (PMDG 737 probably easiest in that case).

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

I don't have much time for serious flightsim these days so mainly I'm an aircraft addon collector haha!  But I don't mind as I like to support the devs who make flightsim great...and I do tend to stick with a few over and over.  Namely the Black Square King air, Baron and Carenado PC12.  Also the default Longitude is up there for most flight time.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

A Pilot's Life has me into such a ritual day in and day out one could feel slightly stuck!  Clearly it's working for me but reading this thread makes me realize I'm missing the GA stuff which way back when I spent most all my time in.  Now it's all FBW A320Nx, PMDG 738 and CRJ 700.  But I love it and aim for high scores per flight which is why I do it, and that program has taken me all over the world into regional airports I never would have visited otherwise so it's really great and improving or should be the Dev is very involved.  Even so I need to consider adding some GA stuff in lighter aircraft there is just too much nice scenery to not spend a little more time down low.  I'm looking forward to the updated 787 which I flew the HD mod in for the past many months but just wasn't quite there compared to the other planes I'm in now.  The ATR I'm thinking about adding.  One thing this hobby has done for me:  has given me serious appreciation and admiration for what it takes to be a commercial pilot!  A neighbor's son just finished his final simulator checkride for Frontier flying A320 complete w/ failures etc.  He's never flown Airbus, mostly King Air, but 3 months ago he started training and he's now set to do his first supervised live PAX flight. 

• Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, ryanbatc said:

I don't have much time for serious flightsim these days so mainly I'm an aircraft addon collector haha! 

It might just be a phase, we've all taken breaks for a bit. I learned a lot reading many of your posts over the years, so I'm sure you're the busy type always refilling the brain. Cannot remember all of it, but much of it was helpful.

1 hour ago, Noel said:

A Pilot's Life has me into such a ritual day in and day out one could feel slightly stuck!  

You have almost convinced me to try it, but a lot of you are more hardcore than I am. Since I'm also developing (mostly free) scenery, not as much time to get into mission stuff. One thing I will say though is, I keep working on the free stuff, eventually I should be doing something that pays a little less than zero. It is fun to create stuff though, which is why I do it, but it takes a LONG time to finish sometimes.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram