Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

Google opens up and lets anyone use its 3D tiles via API.

This is PROMISING !!!

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Very interesting. What I wouldn't give to have quality streamed worldwide ortho (from a fast server) in X-Plane. The 3D city / photogrammetry isn't that high on the wish list but I still wouldn't mind seeing it.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

ICYMI: "Note: Your use of Photorealistic 3D Tiles in the Experimental stage will: (i) be free of charge, and (ii) require you to enable billing on each of your projects using Photorealistic 3D Tiles. We have no obligation to notify you when your free trial ends, and we reserve the right to modify or terminate the free trial at any time, without notice and in our sole discretion."

9 minutes ago, hs118 said:

ICYMI: "Note: Your use of Photorealistic 3D Tiles in the Experimental stage will: (i) be free of charge, and (ii) require you to enable billing on each of your projects using Photorealistic 3D Tiles. We have no obligation to notify you when your free trial ends, and we reserve the right to modify or terminate the free trial at any time, without notice and in our sole discretion."

Dang, that's a sleazy approach.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

2 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Dang, that's a sleazy approach.

LOL, "Do no evil"

4 hours ago, hs118 said:

The corner dealer is offering free heroin in a limited time offer.  After that...you're hooked and it ain't free no mo'

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

5 hours ago, hs118 said:

That is normal for everything Google offers for 'free'. If their incomes drops or usage becomes more expensive than anticipated, they can turn it off the well without legal liability.  

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

If it is anything like some of their other API's, it will suddenly become VERY expensive. The Google Maps and places API provides $200 per month of free data, but once you go over the limit -- watch out!

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

Just now, turnandbank said:

If it is anything like some of their other API's, it will suddenly become VERY expensive. The Google Maps and places API provides $200 per month of free data, but once you go over the limit -- watch out!

There is always a catch with google. Licensing map data from google has always been more expensive than the competition. They were very quick to block my IP when I downloaded too much orthos from them. I wonder how many people, if any would be willing to pay $10-20/month to stream ortho and 3D assets from google into xplane if allowed.

On the flip side you can appreciate what a bargain Microsoft is offering with unlimited streaming after a one-time purchase of the sim.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Flight Sim PC - OS: Windows 11 Pro. CPU: i9-13900K.  RAM: 64GB. GPU: NVidia RTX 4090 OC
Flight Sim Xbox - Seriex X, 3TB

Same with AWS, after you finish up free tier price sky rocket...down to every byte that goes or comes out of VPC

• Upvote 1

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

3 hours ago, brinx said:

There is always a catch with google. Licensing map data from google has always been more expensive than the competition. They were very quick to block my IP when I downloaded too much orthos from them. I wonder how many people, if any would be willing to pay $10-20/month to stream ortho and 3D assets from google into xplane if allowed.

On the flip side you can appreciate what a bargain Microsoft is offering with unlimited streaming after a one-time purchase of the sim.

I think that for most of us who can buy a PC for over 3000$ every 5 years, this won't be a problem at all. I am already paying more for a Youtube subscription. MSFS has the datas but the sim is still not really an option because of its limitations and downsides.

Edited by Franz007

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

4 hours ago, Franz007 said:

I think that for most of us who can buy a PC for over 3000$ every 5 years, this won't be a problem at all. I am already paying more for a Youtube subscription. MSFS has the datas but the sim is still not really an option because of its limitations and downsides.

I deal with certain individuals who feel it's their right to obtain software without paying for it.  Comments like "I'm not paying $50 for something when I can get it for free."

Our DRM is pretty good with catching that kind of thing.  These are the same people who brag in certain forums that they just spent $6000 on a fully spruced up PC.  Priorities, Franz.  A 4 figure PC is far more important than software that costs less $100 to some people.  

😛

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Franz007 said:

I am already paying more for a Youtube subscription.

Huuh?