Sign in to follow this  
ttbq1

P3D V5.4 is available

9 hours ago, Aviator Dan said:

Yes P3Dv5.5 is here, it has been some time I did a up grade. How do I just up grade the Client? I have read the Installation Directions, just a little confused this is what happens when you start getting old. LOL.

Go to Windows settings>>>Apps and scroll down to find Prepar3d v5 Academic (or your version) Client and delete it. DO NOT cancel your registration.

Download and install the new version. Client only.

That's all. No settings are changed, your sim will have the previous settings as regards Keys, buttons etc.

Ian

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

16 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Those are indicative of settings being too high for the hardware. Given you’re still on v4 you haven’t experienced the improvements v5.3 brought. With my 30Hz monitor running in 4K the vast majority of my flights have no stutters.

Once your CPU Core 0 hits 100% stutters are inevitable. The secret is no adjust settings to avoid that happening but it’s not easy.

Thanks Ray. I have now updated my specs ( didn’t realise they were so out of date) in the signature block but note your comments on settings and when I’m back home will update to 5.4 and analyse the performance for improvements

Mark 

P3D V5.3 HF2, i9-11900K, 5.4GHz, MSI RTX3060 12GB VRAM, ASU Prime Z590-P,  32GB Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz RAM, 1 x 1TB Samsung 970 Evo plus, 2 x 500GB Crucial SSD500GB SSD. Win 11 Pro

@CptBlackadder, before you update setup a test scenario at a complex airport. SimWings Heathrow on 09L/R so you're pointing towards London.

No Wx and no Ai just for consistency. Save the scenario. Test with v5.3HF2 and again with 5.4.

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Is this release any good?  This is the very first release that I haven't even downloaded on day 1.  

I feel they are making v6 and this is a stop gap measure to release final release version for v5 (but took them so many years to do these fixes - is there only 1 dev on their team now lol joking).

I want to see some reviews about this release

Edited by Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

My testing tweaking flight is EGKK to EGLL out to Detling VOR left over London and EGLC approach 27L and land using PMDG 747-400. ORBX scenery and addon airports air traffic and road traffic locked Fps 30. repeat till settings are stable. flight. 

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

When I heard a new version had dropped, I came back here to have a look and was surprised to find that it was v5.4 and not v6. I have to concur with the people saying that it can't possibly have taken all this time to do just the fixes and improvements in this point release. I suspect it's either a bridge to a v6 release later this year, or possibly, as some have speculated, that it's the last release on this platform and vNext - whatever they finally call it - is something significantly new. 

I'll certainly be keeping my eyes peeled. Unlike the 3rd party devs, P3D could definitely tempt me back if it gets better in some key areas. I do most of my flying online with friends right now in The Other Sim, but I do want to get back into proper procedural simming. I just need something to tempt me to spend the time it would take to build a new sim.

• Like 2

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

On 5/23/2023 at 9:29 AM, level7 said:

who knew there were so many GPS features ...

Does anyone know of a tutorial or very specific instructions for all the new GPS features?  I have searched, but found nothing on how to interact differently with the GPS.

I've done a couple of 5-hour flights in the PMDG B777 using v5.4 and haven't noticed any differences in performance, be it studders or frame rates. That's just on my system however, so others may see different results.

Pete Locascio

My guess is LM has v6 nearly completed and will release it in the near future, perhaps the week of the flight sim expo.

This update was just some of the changes that they made to v6 that were easily applicable to v5.

Again just my opinion here. Hopefully we will see soon enough. 🙂

Edited by TurboKen
  • Upvote 4

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

5 hours ago, TurboKen said:

My guess is LM has v6 nearly completed and will release it in the near future, perhaps the week of the flight sim expo.

This update was just some of the changes that they made to v6 that were easily applicable to v5.

Again just my opinion here. Hopefully we will see soon enough. 🙂

I agree, I think p3d v6 is right around the corner. Although i enjoy version 5 very much, I just can't see lockheed taking p3d v5 to the expo. Lockheed has also been too quiet these past few years.

18 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@CptBlackadder, before you update setup a test scenario at a complex airport. SimWings Heathrow on 09L/R so you're pointing towards London.

No Wx and no Ai just for consistency. Save the scenario. Test with v5.3HF2 and again with 5.4.

I did just that and saw a 1-2 fps improvement, no improvement in Graphics usage figures and no other visible improvements. Probably there is a lot going on behind the scenes.

I will see, when I can get a long flight in.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

1 hour ago, IanHarrison said:

I did just that and saw a 1-2 fps improvement, no improvement in Graphics usage figures and no other visible improvements. Probably there is a lot going on behind the scenes.

The test I’ll probably do is to position at EGLC, slew up to 1500ft and head west towards EGLL at exactly 160kts. Easy in slew mode.

Once I have the aircraft at a pre-determined point at EGLL exit P3D. Open FSUIPC log and note the average fps. Repeat for the new version.

Any differences will be purely down to a change of client. No weather or Ai for consistency. Depart at same time in both tests. With a test taking a few minutes any short term variations are minimised.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

A year has passed since P3D was removed from my system. It was fun flyring the PMDG 777 again on v.5.4. Worked flawlessly.

Only thing not working still on 5.4 is Flytampa EHAM, which has strange ground textures. Has not found the reason yet, but perpahps some layering issue.

Edited by vhaaland

Just a quick update that I heard back from Parallel 42 regarding Chase Plane compatibility with v5.4 and they are considering it. The Managing Director (Edson) stated there was no timeline or commitment at this time.

So I guess we will have to wait for this as I really like Chase Plane and its capabilities.

On the other hand, if there's a suitable alternative in the marketplace (?), I may consider switching if the folks at P42 continue to "dilly dally".

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!