Sign in to follow this  
ttbq1

P3D V5.4 is available

So even Chaseplane, that don't have a program for MSFS are only 'considering' updating to the latest version of P3D?

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

39 minutes ago, 787flyer said:

Just a quick update that I heard back from Parallel 42 regarding Chase Plane compatibility with v5.4 and they are considering it.

I fail to understand why this point update requires some addons to be tweaked for compatibility. The PMDG 737 doesn’t but FS Labs Airbuses do. And so it seems does ChasePlane. Given they have no equivalent for MSFS what exactly is the problem in making the minor changes required.

ChasePlane is the only addon I have that requires monthly confirmation that it’s a genuine purchase. Customer friendly are they not. ☹️

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I fail to understand why this point update requires some addons to be tweaked for compatibility. The PMDG 737 doesn’t but FS Labs Airbuses do. And so it seems does ChasePlane. Given they have no equivalent for MSFS what exactly is the problem in making the minor changes required.

ChasePlane is the only addon I have that requires monthly confirmation that it’s a genuine purchase. Customer friendly are they not. ☹️

LM is never shy about making breaking API changes, but sometimes updates are just because a given build of an add-on is looking for a specific version number (which is bad practice, but common). 

As to why they might be unwilling to update ChasePlane - //42 make add-ons for MSFS now, these will be selling much better than their P3D stuff, let's be honest about that. I'm pretty sure Flow makes them a bunch more money than ChasePlane. Updating ChasePlane is unlikely to result in many new sales, and without an upgrade cost the work time invested will result in zero income, only goodwill from the community. A community which they probably aren't really bothered about any more. Once upon a time it was a given that we would get updates. Now it isn't. 

It sucks, but it'll be this way from now on. The chances of getting developers to make updates for 5.4 - let alone any v6 - are entirely related to how much money they can make by doing so, and whether they can make more money by spending their time on MSFS add-ons, and very often the answer to that will be yes. If I were making a purely business decision, I would do the same; it would be my job to do so.

EZDok is still around, I think? Perhaps they will update for 5.4 and beat out ChasePlane. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

16 minutes ago, neilhewitt said:

Updating ChasePlane is unlikely to result in many new sales, and without an upgrade cost the work time invested will result in zero income, only goodwill from the community. A community which they probably aren't really bothered about any more. Once upon a time it was a given that we would get updates. Now it isn't

I’m sure the author made a great deal of money from ChasePlane. Loyalty to customers should still be important to them. If those customers were to buy MSFS and there was an alternative to a //42 product they might decide not to give any more to //42 because they don’t show any loyalty to former customers.

Loyalty works both ways.

• Like 6

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I won't upgrade unless ChasePlane is updated, but as far as I can tell 5.4 doesn't have any significant changes that would affect me, so I'm happy to stay on 5.3. According to PMDG, LM didn't even tell them that a new P3D version was in the works, so it's hard to blame addon makers if they are less than enthusiastic. Parallel 42 gave up on P3D development after 4.5 so I guess they don't have any staff left who know how to do the update. I don't blame them, but what goes around comes around in the long run.

Perhaps this would be an opportune moment for //42 to release the source code so updates can be made by those with the relevant skills.

John Dekker did the next best thing by making Radar Contact v4 free.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I am of the same opinion Ray. Not sure why they lock CP down to a specific version/build of P3D.Should be a simple change and I thought CP even had the experimental versions that users could try out if they wanted to release an early proto.

Adding to that, on their main product web page for CP, they do continue to advertise all versions of P3D (excluding P3D v1) at the higher major version e.g. P3D v2 - P3D v5.

I continue to hope that after their deliberations, they will decide to support/make compatible P3D v5.4.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

My predefined in cockpit camera views work just as before in V5.4. When ChasePlane loads a message appears stating Smooth Zoom and Static Cameras are disabled and they are working on a compatibility fix. It's been like what, three days since LM dumps the update?  I will cut ChasePlane some slack on this one.

Gary Stewart

1 minute ago, CW46 said:

My predefined in cockpit camera views work just as before in V5.4. When ChasePlane loads a message appears stating Smooth Zoom and Static Cameras are disabled and they are working on a compatibility fix. It's been like what, three days since LM dumps the update?  I will cut ChasePlane some slack on this one.

That language might be old from when they were supporting P3D and were guaranteed to update.

4 minutes ago, chapstick said:

That language might be old from when they were supporting P3D and were guaranteed to update.

That may very well be true but if you need it for only in cockpit camera views it is business as usual for me in V5.4

Gary Stewart

//42 posted the below on their discord.  We just need to be patient.

About ChasePlane / Prepar3D v5.4 Compatibility - As with any sim update, this takes time and ensuring the LM release is stable before we go in and dedicate work hours to build an update.

It’s coming.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Orman

3 hours ago, neilhewitt said:

<snip>.......whether they can make more money by spending their time on MSFS add-ons, and very often the answer to that will be yes. If I were making a purely business decision, I would do the same; it would be my job to do so.

Would it not also be your 'job' to protect the good name of said company?

And to that end, peeing off 1000's (probably) of customers by not updating (most likely in this case just a version unlock) software they paid for certainly would

not do anything to help the brand.

Remember, a lot of P3D users seem to be 'jumping ship' and may well be //42 new target patrons.

A purely financial decision may dictate, no update, however this may not be a prudent business decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 787flyer said:

Adding to that, on their main product web page for CP, they do continue to advertise all versions of P3D (excluding P3D v1) at the higher major version e.g. P3D v2 - P3D v5.

If after a few weeks the update hasn’t arrived that would be a suitable time to remind them of that.

I’m holding fire until SimStarterNG is compatible. The author has said it might be a few weeks due to real life commitments.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Well I must say that I find this “update” is a real head scratcher. We are now 8 pages into discussion and so far I must say that this is somewhat of a nothing burger on a plain bun with no French fries. I have not seen any report of even the smallest change either good or bad from those who have “upgraded”. At best only a couple of folks have said that they “might” see a bit smoother performance but that is always subjective at best. I thankfully have a stable V5.3 working but I do find this whole sort of do noting upgrade to be followed buy a possible V6 that may be revealed at a June get together just plain strange. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

These fixes were pending, and they got them out that is it (still grateful).  V6 is there but it better be epic or else what is the point.  Even LM's defense buyers want fancy graphics (no one wants to be kept outdated).  I may install it this weekend, b/c I haven't simmed in over a year.  

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)