Sign in to follow this  
Mace

Can incorrect airport elevation be fixed?

Guest daparker

I was flying FSX around Ithaca, New York and saw a few miles north of KITH a strange mountain with a flat top. It turned out to be 15NK, a grass airfield lying 1,000 feet above the regular terrain. It has to be a mistake in coding. AFX showed the airfield to have an elevation of 1,845 ft. The surrounding terrain is 1,000 feet lower. I tried to modify the AFCAD file by lowering the elevation in the File properties and center of runway properties and saving as a modified FSX AFCAD file. However, the mountain with 15NK remained. Is there any way to bring this airfield back down to earth?Doug

Guest daparker

Thanks for the link, Luis. Unfortunately, I left out a word in my original post: Can the incorrect airport elevation *easily* be fixed. Not being a scenery designer, your SBuilder program, while comprehensive and most likely understandable to many people, is too much for my addled brain to digest. Instant Scenery and AFCAD is about my limit. Since I just happened to run across this anomaly far from my "home" airport, it doesn't bother me to the extent that I feel it necessary to delve into this aspect of scenery design.Doug

A simpler, though more tedious solution, is to use the free utilty FstFlatten to create an area surroundinmg the airport at the airport level. FstFlatten allows you to trqce around the area of interest in a FS9 top-down view.It can be tedious because once you view the flattened area from the cockpit the interface between the flattened area and the original terrain may look looks strange and you may have to tweak the extent of flattening to get it looking right. EDIT: Sorry. I know this works in FS9 but haven't tried in FSX.

>Thanks for the link, Luis. Unfortunately, I left out a word>in my original post: Can the incorrect airport elevation>*easily* be fixed.Short answer: no, not easily fixedChanging stock airport elevation is what I would call a more advanced design topicLong answer:What you need to do is create what is called a "dummy airport header" with the CORRECT airport elevation info in it. The dummy header will be a text file (an xml file...see the SDK for the format), that you then compile with bglcomp.This creates a BGL file that you place in /SCENERY/WORLD/SCENERY.What this does is FSX will load the dummy airport header file FIRST and it will then place the airport at the correct elevation.You would also need to lower the flatten of the airport and so forth and Luis's program SBuilder (or FSX_KML) can do that easily.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB