Sign in to follow this  
Guest JSPuonti

missing 737-800 from selection list

Guest Neal7

Need some help here. I downloaded some paints for the 737-800 and dropped everything into the proper folder...F:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XSimObjectsAirplanesB737_800Only to find that this plane is not showing up in my list of aircraft in the game. No others appear to be missing and I'm really not sure when this one disappeared.I've been aiming to reinstall fsx on a new drive I'd purchased some time ago and thought I would try this now to fix this issue, but that didn't do the trick.Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm sure there is a config file somewhere that needs some attention, but I can't find it.Would appreciate any help.Thanks,Mike

Guest JSPuonti

The repaint package might have come with an aircraft.cfg file which contained ONLY the data you need to copy / paste into your REAL aircraft.cfg file. Copying "everything" into your 737-800 folder, as you said, would therefore have overwritten the real CFG file and rendered the plane unusable in FSX.Take a look at the repaint ZIP file (I'm assuming it's a ZIP). Does it include a bunch of "texture.????" (???? being some text) directories and the aircraft.cfg file? If it does, then what I described above is probably what happened.The solution is to get someone to send you the real aircraft.cfg file for the 737-800, copy that over the one currently in your 737-800 folder and then do as the repaint README file says. It'll instruct you on how to edit the original aircraft.cfg file to make the repaints work.

Guest Neal7

the cfg file included in the zip must have been bad. makes sense, i'll check it out. for now, i was able to restore the original cfg, so i can at least select it again.thanks for the response!

Guest JSPuonti

No problem, I hope you get it sorted out :)

Guest Neal7

I have the default aircraft back now, not sure what is wrong with this pacakge.this is the texture package I downloaded from http://www.simviation.com/fsxjets20.htmFSX Boeing 737-800 Multi Textures Package (Updated). Textures for the default 737-800 in the following liveries: American Airlines, Vietnam Airlines, Ryanair, UPS Cargo, FedEx Cargo, Easyjet. James Kent. 30MBLike I said, when I copied the folders and cfg into the default 737 800 folder, none (default or new) were listed for this aircraft.guess I'll wrestle with it some more.

Guest JSPuonti

I took a glance at the package and think I know where the problem is. However, I have to commute *right* now. I'll get back to you later.

Guest JSPuonti

Right, the problem with this package is that the developer has done some very basic mistakes:First of all, he's provided a complete aircraft.cfg file, which is a big no-no since end users might have made modifications to their CFG file (such as OTHER repaints from OTHER authors) that the author's CFG file would overwrite. The author should have simply provided a list of the "fltsim.X" entries and instructions on how to add them to the existing aircraft.cfg file.Secondly, he's edited the aircraft.cfg file in what looks like Wordpad and saved the file as an RTF document (I think) with a CFG suffix. That's just... wrong. The aircraft.cfg file is a TEXT DOCUMENT, not RTF. While the first issue I outlined above was bad judgement on the author's part, this second issue is what actually caused the 737-800 to completely vanish from your aircraft list. FSX does not understand the "tags" that are insert into a file when it's saved as RTF, so it figures the file is broken and disregards it entirely.I can't guarantee that this will work because the file's been saved as RTF (or some other such format), and obviously I can't help you if the original author has made other mistakes with the package, but with any luck you should be able to install the textures by following these instructions:(OH, and BEFORE you make these modifications, make sure you have a backup copy of the original aircraft.cfg JUST in case something goes wrong)1) Make sure you've copied the TEXTURE folders from the ZIP file into your B737_800 folder2) Open the aircraft.cfg file in your B737_800 folder in NOTEPAD (not WORDPAD, WORD or any other such program)3) You should see "fltsim.0" contained within brackets on the first line - scroll down until you find the LAST one of these "fltsim" entries. If you have never installed other add-on textures for your 737 it should be "fltsim.5". If you scroll down a bit more, you'll find the text "General" within brackets.4) Copy the following six "fltsim" entries and paste them on the line ABOVE the "General" line:fltsim.Xtitle=Boeing 737-800 American Airlinessim=Boeing737-800model=panel=sound=texture=AAkb_checklists=Boeing737-800_checkkb_reference=Boeing737-800_refatc_id=N77SANatc_airline=AAatc_flight_number=N77ui_manufacturer="Boeing"ui_type="737-800"ui_variation="American Airlines"ui_typerole="Commercial Airliner"ui_createdby="James Kent"description="One should hardly be surprised that the world's most prolific manufacturer of commercial aircraft is also the producer of the world's most popular jetliner. The 737 became the best-selling commercial jetliner worldwide when orders for it hit 1,831 in June 1987 (surpassing Boeing's own 727 as the previous champ). However, it wasn't always that ways in the first few years of production, there were so few orders that Boeing considered canceling the program. They didn't, and the airplane has more than proven itself in over three decades of service."fltsim.Xtitle=Boeing 737-800 Vietnam Airlinesim=Boeing737-800model=panel=sound=texture=VNkb_checklists=Boeing737-800_checkkb_reference=Boeing737-800_refatc_id=VN-A149atc_airline=Vietnam Airlineatc_flight_number=A149ui_manufacturer="Boeing"ui_type="737-800"ui_variation="Vietnam Airlines"ui_typerole="Commercial Airliner"ui_createdby="James Kent"description="One should hardly be surprised that the world's most prolific manufacturer of commercial aircraft is also the producer of the world's most popular jetliner. The 737 became the best-selling commercial jetliner worldwide when orders for it hit 1,831 in June 1987 (surpassing Boeing's own 727 as the previous champ). However, it wasn't always that ways in the first few years of production, there were so few orders that Boeing considered canceling the program. They didn't, and the airplane has more than proven itself in over three decades of service."visual_damage=1fltsim.Xtitle=Boeing 737-800 RyanAirsim=Boeing737-800model=panel=sound=texture=ryankb_checklists=Boeing737-800_checkkb_reference=Boeing737-800_refatc_id=N737Tatc_airline=Ryanatc_flight_number=ui_manufacturer="Boeing"ui_type="737-800"ui_variation="Ryanair"ui_typerole="Commercial Airliner"ui_createdby="James Kent"description="One should hardly be surprised that the world's most prolific manufacturer of commercial aircraft is also the producer of the world's most popular jetliner. The 737 became the best-selling commercial jetliner worldwide when orders for it hit 1,831 in June 1987 (surpassing Boeing's own 727 as the previous champ). However, it wasn't always that ways in the first few years of production, there were so few orders that Boeing considered canceling the program. They didn't, and the airplane has more than proven itself in over three decades of service."fltsim.Xtitle=Boeing 737-800 UPS Cargosim=Boeing737-800model=panel=sound=texture=UPSkb_checklists=Boeing737-800_checkkb_reference=Boeing737-800_refatc_id=UPS737atc_airline=UPS Cargoatc_flight_number=UPS737ui_manufacturer="Boeing"ui_type="737-800"ui_variation=UPS Cargoui_typerole="Commercial Airliner"ui_createdby="Microsoft Corporation"description="UPS Cargo 737-800 aircraft painted by Tom Bakody for the FSX default 737-800. This texture includes custom alpha channel for superior shine and reflection, custom specular and bump map for a truely windowless cargo ship. - jumbojetnut@gmail.com - Enjoy and Happy Flyin..."fltsim.Xtitle=Boeing 737-800 FedEx Cargosim=Boeing737-800model=panel=sound=texture=FedExkb_checklists=Boeing737-800_checkkb_reference=Boeing737-800_refatc_id=FedX737atc_airline=FedEx Cargoatc_flight_number=FedX737ui_manufacturer="Boeing"ui_type="737-800"ui_variation=FedEx Cargoui_typerole="Commercial Airliner"ui_createdby="James Kent"description="FedEx Cargo 737-800 aircraft painted by Tom Bakody for the FSX default 737-800. This texture includes custom alpha channel for superior shine and reflection, custom specular and bump map for a truely windowless cargo ship. - jumbojetnut@gmail.com - Enjoy and Happy Flyin..."fltsim.Xtitle=Boeing 737-800 Easyjetsim=Boeing737-800model=""panel=""sound=""texture=EZYkb_checklists=Boeing737-800_checkkb_reference=Boeing737-800_refatc_id=atc_airline=Easy Jetatc_flight_number=""ui_manufacturer=Boeingui_type=737-800ui_variation=Easyjetui_typerole=ui_createdby=James Kent5) As you probably noticed, the above "fltsim" entries do NOT have brackets around them - this is because AVSim's forum removes anything between brackets, so I had to leave them out. You will need to manually add the brackets around each "fltsim.X" entry. While you're doing that, you should also change the "X" to a number. The number depends on what the last "fltsim" entry in your aircraft.cfg was and increases as you scroll down - as I mentioned earlier, if you have never added textures to your 737, the last entry in your original aircraft.cfg should be "fltsim.5". This means that the first "fltsim.X" entry you just pasted in should be renamed to "fltsim.6", the next "fltsim.X" to "fltsim.7", and so on. And don't forget the brackets! Otherwise it won't work.Once you've done this you should save the aircraft.cfg, exit notepad and load FSX to see if the new liveries show up.

Guest Neal7

yes, I noticed how screwed up cfg file. was not sure what editor leaves that sort of markup language behind.anyway I was headed down the same path, but wasn't sure what else would need to be included. this looks pretty straight forward.I'm fixing it now....that fixed it!! Thanks for you help!

Guest JSPuonti

Good to hear and you're welcome :)