Sign in to follow this  
Scott Miller

MSFS 2020 stuck in "checking for updates"

When I ran MSFS 2020 last night I attempted to install an update but it got interrupted.  When I attempt to restart MSFS it is stuck in "checking for updates".  How do I fix this?  I tried googling "MSFS 2020 stuck in "checking for updates".  One solution starts with "Open your Microsoft Flight Siimulator folder.  Only problem is I can't find it! Whee he heck it is?  IN any case I need help to fix this problem!

Edited by Scott Miller

Do you have a lot of third party content installed, especially content purchased on the MSFS Marketplace.

If so having too many folders in the main MSFS directory can cause issues with MSFS being unable to start (the Rene Air Races airplane packs are especially good at creating folders to trigger this problem).

There IS a fix for this the folders problem in the latest AAU2 beta but that isn't an option the only other known workaround is to uninstall addons to get the number down to where MSFS is happier.

As for the MSFS Folder - the default location depends on which version you installed
Microsoft Store version
C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\

Steam version
C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightDashboard_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\

However you can choose a custom folder during the installation process and if that's happened it's impossible to for me to say where it will have been put.

Edited by Matchstick

1 hour ago, Scott Miller said:

When I ran MSFS 2020 last night I attempted to install an update but it got interrupted.  When I attempt to restart MSFS it is stuck in "checking for updates".  How do I fix this?  I tried googling "MSFS 2020 stuck in "checking for updates".  One solution starts with "Open your Microsoft Flight Siimulator folder.  Only problem is I can't find it! Whee he heck it is?  IN any case I need help to fix this problem!

Sign out from your XBox and Microsoft Store accounts. Restart your PC and sign in them again. This will probably solve your problem.

• Like 2

Intel i7-9700K - Asus Nvidia RTX 2080 Super - 32 Gb Ram - SSD Drive - Win10 x64 - Samsung 43" 4K TV

Do you know where your Community folder is?  If yes, go up one level, choose Official, and then the OneStore folder.  Sort the contents by date and find yesterday's file(s).  It there are "part" files, delete them.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bert

The latest beta release fixed the issue of too many folders in Community folder causing the sim to lock on Searching For Updates screen. That is no longer an issue. version 1.33.5.0

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Well, it's not a problem of having too many folders.  I've not used MSFS 2020 much so I don't have a lot of third party addons installed.

It's been quite some time since I last accessed my Community folder.  I'll have to do some searching to find it again.

If all else fails, I'll follow Kt069';s suggestion.

Of course one sure solution is to uninstall MSFS 2020 BUT that would be the last resort given how long it takes to install the premium edition!

Ok, deleting the "part" files from he OneStore folder didn't fix the problem. Neither did logging off my Microsoft Store account, restarting my PC and logging back on to my Microsoft store account fix the problem.  I don't know how to log off my X-Box account (I didn't know I had an X-Box account, I don't recall setting one up when I installed MSFS 2020 (from dvd discs)...

It's looking like I'm going to have to uninstall MSFS and reinstalling it.  However, if I do so will my community folder get fdeleted (will I have to reinstall all my addons)? Any other ideas before I resort to this?

21 minutes ago, Scott Miller said:

Ok, deleting the "part" files from he OneStore folder didn't fix the problem. Neither did logging off my Microsoft Store account, restarting my PC and logging back on to my Microsoft store account fix the problem.  I don't know how to log off my X-Box account (I didn't know I had an X-Box account, I don't recall setting one up when I installed MSFS 2020 (from dvd discs)...

It's looking like I'm going to have to uninstall MSFS and reinstalling it.  However, if I do so will my community folder get fdeleted (will I have to reinstall all my addons)? Any other ideas before I resort to this?

Your community folder will probably stay intact but it is a good idea to copy it to a safe place. When reinstalling, MSFS will ask you  where to install the core of MSFS. At first launch it will then ask you where your Official and Community folders are located. If you choose the location where it is stored now it will safe you some dozens of GB's of downloading.

I am curious whether the reinstall solves your issue. I had to limit the # of active addons in Addon Linker to prevent MSFS from getting stuck at checking for updates.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

9 hours ago, Scott Miller said:

However, if I do so will my community folder get fdeleted (will I have to reinstall all my addons)?

I would move both the Official and Community folders to a safe place (folder).  Then, when reinstalling you can point at that location for the content.

Bert

10 hours ago, Scott Miller said:

I don't know how to log off my X-Box account

Search for the XBox app in the Windows search, lower left corner of the screen.

In the app, upper left corner, click on your avatar, and sign out.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Ah, found it (finally)!  Ok, I'm going to try signing off my Microsoft/xBox accounts, restarting my PC, ang logging back on again.  Keep your fingers crossed this work!  Not looking forward to reinstalling MSFS again (groan)!

Edited by Scott Miller

Ah, found it (finally)!  Ok, I'm going to try signing off my Microsoft/xBox accounts, restarting my PC, ang logging back on again.  Keep your fingers crossed this work!  Not looking forward to reinstalling MSFS again (groan)!

Oops!  Duplicate entry!

Edited by Scott Miller
  • Like 1

Well, nuts!  It didn't work (though I'm going to let it run for a while in hopes of a delayed reaction)!

Before reinstalling MSFS, can I simply reinstall it over it's self or do I have to uninstall MSFS before reinsalling it?