Sign in to follow this  
Bernard Ducret

How often do you clean your Nvidia caches (if ever)?

25 minutes ago, Alvega said:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 😋

Its a really good good stance to take except with the fluency of todays hardware, software and driver updates to improve things.

You don't want to be left behind.

sp

Edited by Sky_Pilot071

1 hour ago, Bernard Ducret said:

Delete THE CONTENT of the following folders (please note that some files will not be deleted as they are used by your PC, simply skip those)

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\NVIDIA\DXCache

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\NVIDIA\GLCache\83051cdf7c4166fe06f7f596d5eedf85\33d2783781572c41

For good measure I also cleaned with the Windows tools > Disk clean-up > select drive > tick Direct X shader cache > clean.

Finally I downloaded Nvidia Inspector and selected Microsoft Flight Simulator, the ONLY change I made is in Common Shader Cache Size OFF

Thank you!  I'll give it a shot.

Andrew Crowley

Trying it too Andy... lmk if you see anything significant....

• Like 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

I usually clear out my nVIDIA caches weekly with my Alienware laptop with RTX 3070 Ti mobile GPU.

Alienware m15 R7: Intel Core i7-12700H, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, nVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8GB, Windows 11 Home.

MacBook Air: M1, 2020 (7-core GPU), 8GB unified memory, macOS Ventura

iMac: mid-2017, Core i5 3GHz, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon Pro 555 2GB, macOS Ventura.

Sims: MSFS, X-Plane 10, 11 & 12.

12 hours ago, Bernard Ducret said:

Is this a mere coincidence or a logical solution to this problem that is affecting quite a number of simmers?

Almost certainly a coincidence. The vanished/blurry airport problem you’re describing is what happens when the sim hits the Simconnect objects limit (as a consequence of AIG).

Edited by honanhal
typo
  • Like 2

Never, I don't use rolling cache either.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Uh, never. Seems like another flight sim-ism of this perpetual need to mess around with things that doesn't need messing with to gain placebo smoothness and peace of mind.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

For me, it has nothing to do with flight simulation. Cleaning up old, unnecessary cache and index files is just normal file system housekeeping.

I clear my browser cache and Windows temp folder(s) on a regular basis as well.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

1 hour ago, MDFlier said:

For me, it has nothing to do with flight simulation. Cleaning up old, unnecessary cache and index files is just normal file system housekeeping.

Cache files are not unnecessary, they exist for a reason.

What Is DirectX Shader Cache

What is Direct X Shader Cache? It is a cache system for storing shaders that can help improve the performance and responsiveness of apps, games, and programs. This folder contains files created by the graphics system. It can lower the amount of time that an image or video needs to take to render on the screen.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/resizepartition/directx-shader-cache.html

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

1 hour ago, MDFlier said:

As mentioned, caches are made for a reason and usually an old, unneeded cache file is overwritten or eventually removed automatically. Besides, we're talking cache files taking up a minuscule amount of space.

So all this incessant cleaning and tidying up has zero functional purpose. I think people just like the idea of cleaning up 😉

• Upvote 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

18 minutes ago, Sethos said:

As mentioned, caches are made for a reason and usually an old, unneeded cache file is overwritten or eventually removed automatically. Besides, we're talking cache files taking up a minuscule amount of space.

So all this incessant cleaning and tidying up has zero functional purpose. I think people just like the idea of cleaning up 😉

I just think some people are really used to the old FSX/FS9 days where tinkering would maybe get you a bit more stable frametime and fps, so they go looking to do the same things here. It provides very little benefit but gives the impression to them that it does.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lucky38i said:

just think some people are really used to the old FSX/FS9 days where tinkering would maybe get you a bit more stable frametime and fps, so they go looking to do the same things here. It provides very little benefit but gives the impression to them that it does.

Gentlemen, I think many of you are missing the point of this thread here and should read before reacting in the way you do.

I am NOT suggesting a new voodoo recipe - as one of you elegantly put it -, neither am I inducing anyone to do what they don't need to do (if it's not broken don't fix it!), this thread is about resolving a problem (i.e. destination airport addon not being loaded by MSFS when you arrive on short final) and trying to identify a solution, please read my initial post and see the bold part with a question mark.

On two occasions the problem disappeared after cleaning the Nvidia cache, and I suggested myself that it might be a coincidence, I am not claiming any discovery, but merely researching what can resolve this nuisance. Your feedback demonstrate evidently that this cache cleaning may not be related and I thank all those who took the time to reply in a constructive manner.

Bernard

CPU = 12900K / GPU = Nvidia 3090 VRAM 24 GB / RAM = 64 GB / SSD = 2 TB 980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe™ M.2, 

26 minutes ago, Bernard Ducret said:

Gentlemen, I think many of you are missing the point of this thread here and should read before reacting in the way you do.

I am NOT suggesting a new voodoo recipe - as one of you elegantly put it -, neither am I inducing anyone to do what they don't need to do (if it's not broken don't fix it!), this thread is about resolving a problem (i.e. destination airport addon not being loaded by MSFS when you arrive on short final) and trying to identify a solution, please read my initial post and see the bold part with a question mark.

On two occasions the problem disappeared after cleaning the Nvidia cache, and I suggested myself that it might be a coincidence, I am not claiming any discovery, but merely researching what can resolve this nuisance. Your feedback demonstrate evidently that this cache cleaning may not be related and I thank all those who took the time to reply in a constructive manner.

I don't think the current conversation is aimed at your post, nor thread. At least it isn't for me. Just the the members who latched on to the idea of clearing cache and talked about doing it as a clean-up routine and the idea of having to clear it constantly for problem free operation.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1