Sign in to follow this  
regis9

FSimStudios Calgary Released

Yes this is a nice step up from simaddons in terms of accuracy and graphics.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I think there's been understatement in this thread so far. I personally consider FSimStudios to be on par with the likes of Flightbeam and FlyTampa at this point. Among the best you can get.

• Like 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

17 hours ago, fakeflyer737 said:

This dev has the best support in the business just by the way  

I can vouch for that too, had an issue with another scenery and he sent me a fixed file specifically created for me at the time within hours... absolute world class

Edited by thepilot
  • Like 1

Hey guys - just clarifying a few things:

On 5/25/2023 at 12:42 PM, F737MAX said:

The only concern is that they have written:

Terrain Level of Detail is recommended between 60-70 for improved performance

That's a lot lower than I run in MSFS. Hopefully, it's to cover lower-end PC users.

Terrain LOD between 60-70 is recommended especially if you have a lower-end system. On higher-end is not that big of a problem. Calgary has been tested on multiple system specs (from very low-end to very high end) and even on lower-end systems results were pretty good. Rarely it would go under 30fps, with complex aircraft, weather and traffic enabled. Additionally, a config tool is available for those wanting to get a few extra fps out by deactivating interiors, clutter, etc. 

That being said, we have noticed that photogrammetry around Canada is very dense and not well optimized (similar situation occurs in Vancouver, Toronto, even Edmonton). There are threads on the simulator forums regarding this issue, as WU Canada seemed to bring performance issues due to the photogrammetry. Decreasing Terrain LOD seems to be a good solution for the issue, as it decreases stress on the mainthread, which is particularly beneficial if using heavy airliners, with very little visual impact.

On 5/26/2023 at 9:20 AM, abrams_tank said:

the FSimStudios team has quite a few actual Calgarians with access to CYYC. If something is not accurate for FSimStudios, the local Calgarians will be providing them feedback. Of course, FSimStudios is a Canadian company, and their team are Canadians.

We do! For a while we were in fact based in Calgary. We worked closely with many people who work at the airport, had photos of nearly every corner, and most buildings are very accurately modeled. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, fsimstudios_ said:

Hey guys - just clarifying a few things:

Terrain LOD between 60-70 is recommended especially if you have a lower-end system. On higher-end is not that big of a problem. Calgary has been tested on multiple system specs (from very low-end to very high end) and even on lower-end systems results were pretty good. Rarely it would go under 30fps, with complex aircraft, weather and traffic enabled. Additionally, a config tool is available for those wanting to get a few extra fps out by deactivating interiors, clutter, etc. 

That being said, we have noticed that photogrammetry around Canada is very dense and not well optimized (similar situation occurs in Vancouver, Toronto, even Edmonton). There are threads on the simulator forums regarding this issue, as WU Canada seemed to bring performance issues due to the photogrammetry. Decreasing Terrain LOD seems to be a good solution for the issue, as it decreases stress on the mainthread, which is particularly beneficial if using heavy airliners, with very little visual impact.

We do! For a while we were in fact based in Calgary. We worked closely with many people who work at the airport, had photos of nearly every corner, and most buildings are very accurately modeled. 

Thanks for the reply. Really like your scenery.

Two issues for me:

1. I have trees randomly appearing next to taxiway intersections.
    I'm certain that it's due to another developer's add-on. However, can you create excludes for the entire airfield to prevent objects from appearing?

2. I do not use photogrammetry at all, rather the MSFS default city (Online Functionality and Bing Data World Graphics both turned on).
    Due to this, the Calgary Tower (and possibly other future buildings you are working on) is obstructed by a weird cylindrical office tower block.
    Again, is there any chance you can provide excludes for the non-PG default city, please?

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

17 hours ago, F737MAX said:

I have trees randomly appearing next to taxiway intersections.
I'm certain that it's due to another developer's add-on. However, can you create excludes for the entire airfield to prevent objects from appearing?

Another customer reported this issue. I'm unsure what's the source problem (probably another addon indeed) but it's being sorted out. Will push an update shortly. It seems that the vegetation data is pre-RWY 17L/35R, and hence why there is vegetation on that side of the airport. 

17 hours ago, F737MAX said:

I do not use photogrammetry at all, rather the MSFS default city (Online Functionality and Bing Data World Graphics both turned on).
Due to this, the Calgary Tower (and possibly other future buildings you are working on) is obstructed by a weird cylindrical office tower block.
Again, is there any chance you can provide excludes for the non-PG default city, please?

Will work on that as well. The only limitation is that the building would have to be excluded completely (eg. cannot be made shorter, it would be gone completely). 

Both fixes will be pushed on V1.0.1, in a few days from now. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fsimstudios_ said:

Both fixes will be pushed on V1.0.1, in a few days from now. 

Thank you, muchly!

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I haven’t checked but the gate assignments seemed reasonable.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU