Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Nielsen

FSDT KIAH Released--Can't Install

On 5/27/2023 at 8:53 PM, virtuali said:

Sometimes I find it difficult to understand what people really want. It seemed the "problem" was first and foremost resolution, and the updated texture are clearly sharper and, to me, they look much improved.

On 5/28/2023 at 8:18 AM, cmpbellsjc said:

If you look at a satellite view of KIAH on Google maps, the tarmac/apron is pretty beat up and patchy looking in some areas. It’s far from a perfect apron that some airports have.

The 'problem' I have is that *in my opinion* the base satellite imagery isn't of high enough quality to use it as apron textures in the scenery.

Even at 4K, the underlying imagery appears to me as if it's blurry/melted/lacking definition, particularly where there should be clear, straight lines that represent the edges of paving slabs. As a sort if analogy, it seems as if someone has created a watercolour painting, then taken a wet rollerbrush over the canvas.

I'm all for extra details to bring scenery to life and as an owner of KIAH, I like most of it, including the adding the transit shuttle. Though, in this instance, I think a default textured apron with some artificial wear and tear markings added would look better.

Edited by F737MAX
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

13 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

I'm all for extra details to bring scenery to life and as an owner of KIAH, I like most of it, including the adding the transit shuttle. Though, in this instance, I think a default textured apron with some artificial wear and tear markings added would look better.

My question is, have you bought the scenery and updated it, or you are just looking at the screenshots ?

Because, in the current version (1.0.3, released yesterday), we already made exactly the changes you are suggesting, not removing the background image entirely, but making it way less visible, by giving more preference to the Apron polygons that stays on top of it, which will result in a more perceived sharpness, and less difference between the taxiway edges and the taxiway proper.

And yes, I know we need to update the screenshots on the web page, which now are mostly obsolete.

Edited by virtuali

10 minutes ago, virtuali said:

have you bought the scenery

23 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

... and as an owner of KIAH,

😉

I have not had a chance to update KIAH yet as I'm away. Thanks for letting me know there have been changes. Later this evening, I'll run the updater and see the improvements that have been made.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

2 hours ago, virtuali said:

My question is, have you bought the scenery and updated it, or you are just looking at the screenshots ?

Because, in the current version (1.0.3, released yesterday), we already made exactly the changes you are suggesting, not removing the background image entirely, but making it way less visible, by giving more preference to the Apron polygons that stays on top of it, which will result in a more perceived sharpness, and less difference between the taxiway edges and the taxiway proper.

And yes, I know we need to update the screenshots on the web page, which now are mostly obsolete.

I am on latest update with 4k textures, I think it’s good to go. Enjoying no lag or stutter unlike all the stuff from iniBuilds that looks great but suffers from lags and stuttering with DX12.

Edited by B777ER

Eric 

Bought, first flight into KIAH using the PMDG 737-800.  Really nice performance running an i7 4790k and 1070 (ancient!), 1080P using the 2k textures with FSLTL running.

Did the obligatory drone cam over the airfield, overall really impressed with performance for such a big hub. 

• Like 1

Thomas Derbyshire

Bought it with the latest update and it's a very good scenery now. At about 10$ it's an absolute bargain as well. Can definitely recommend.

The apron and taxiways now look much better albeit not as beat up as the real one but more pristine, but that seems a necessary evil as long as the satellite imagery isn't sharp enough because that looked very messy.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD