Sign in to follow this  
virtualstuff

Somewhat Direct X Confused !

Hi All,I'm confused still, and even after all this time of FSX being released.The way I was reading the raves etc on what happening and whats coming up, I thought that DX10 was just around the corner, and that FSX and Vista were made for DX10.But how could they make programs for something that is not yet available, and that we have yet to get the hardware for either.I was going to get FSX, but decided to wait until I upgrade my PC, so I thought I would wait and see what people think etc.I have just looked at the shots on the F1 web site of the new FTX, and yet it keeps mentioning DX9 in the write up.I'm no DX guru, so excuse me if my questions are pointless and not really anything to do with FSX.I did not know any graphics cards etc were out for DX10 yet, as I have been led to believe that DX10 is not finished, and still has work that needs to be done on it, so are some of you going to have to re-up-grade once more.Thanks for any clarification.

Direct3D10 is built-in to Vista. You need both a D3D10 graphics card ( nV 8xxx, ATI 2xxx ) and a DX10-capable game to use it on Vista. nV 8xxx has been available since Nov 2006, ATI 2xxx since June 2007.Vista itself uses DX9 with some extensions ( popularly called DX9.L for "Longhorn" ) to render the Aero interface.FSX will be DX10 capable after Acceleration ( payware ) and SP2 ( free download available later ) are released.DX10.1 is no different than DX8.1, a new version of DX. In the same way DX8.1 ran on DX8.0 hw, DX10.1 will run on your DX10 hw albeit without the new features. The "worries" about DX10.1 are much ado about nothing.

I understand the confusion so here's my run down as far as I can gather:Vista, the OS contains DX10 and always has. To take advantage of DX10 in Vista, one needs two things. Software which is programmed to take advantage of it and hardware which is designed to utilize it.Vista also contains DX9 so if you do not have a DX10 compatible card and/or the software you are attempting to run is written for DX9 compatability then Vista et al. uses DX9.DX10 cards have been out since last November I believe such as the Nvidia 8000 series and ATI has the 2000 ?? series (I have Nvidia so ATI users may correct that) that was recently released.Currently, many games that were originally written in DX9 code are adding DX10 compatablilty, FSX being one of them. Bear in mind that the release of Vista last year contained DX10 but the delay and launch of Vista and the performance issues in FSX seems to have botched/delayed the implementation of DX10 for FSX in favor of the much needed SP1 performance update.DX10 games/software has taken some time because both the code and the hardware is new so developers obviously needed time to create DX10 code within their apps and ensure said code is stable enough for the scrutiny of the consumers.Ian.

So does this mean that if I have a DX10 graphics card and the forthcoming SP2 upgrade, that I can run FSX in Windows XP see DX10 graphics?Tim

>So does this mean that if I have a DX10 graphics card and the>forthcoming SP2 upgrade, that I can run FSX in Windows XP see>DX10 graphics?As often as this has been written about, I simply do not understand how or why folks continue to be "confused..."For DX10, there are three absolute requirements:1. Vista (32bit or 64bit)2. DX10 video card (nVidea 8xxx or ATI 2xxx)3. Application with programmed-in DX10 features (FSX + Acceleration - or - FSX + SP2)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>>So does this mean that if I have a DX10 graphics card and>the>>forthcoming SP2 upgrade, that I can run FSX in Windows XP>see>>DX10 graphics?>>As often as this has been written about, I simply do not>understand how or why folks continue to be "confused...">>For DX10, there are three absolute requirements:>>1. Vista (32bit or 64bit)>>2. DX10 video card (nVidea 8xxx or ATI 2xxx)>>3. Application with programmed-in DX10 features (FSX +>Acceleration - or - FSX + SP2)>>>:-lol Andr

André