Sign in to follow this  
newtie

Marketplace vs Simarket vs Developer vs Orbx purchases?

Hi all-

I've been looking at these four sources for some purchases I'm considering.
Is there a preference/advantage to one or the other?

Being new to MSFS I have only one right now, the Carenado PC12, that I was flying regularly in P3D. Looks and flys great except for the dark cockpit which still seems dark after I turn all the lights on including the dome light. Might be an adjustment somewhere in the sim I'm not familiar with.

Anyway, I'm leaning towards purchasing from the developer if nothing else from a support aspect.

Let me know what the pifalls and upside are. I'm interested in your experiences.

Mark

I would say SimMarket was the ideal site for flightsim purchases in the past. Now, for different reasons, maybe the high cost of transactions for the developers, they're facing a lot more competition. They're also facing piracy, as the whole hobby is everywhere. As an intend to combat piracy and modernize a bit, they introduced a new App months ago with automatic installers that are actually not solving any of the piracy issues, in my opinion. Moreover, for some reason, the download speeds trough the new App are extremely slow most of the time (1990s internet download speeds type).

I personally use ORBX (and the ORBX App) very often, as it offers addons from a lot of different developers, not only ORBX by itself. Another App I use often is the Contrail App, which I can only recommend very much.

Buying through the Marketplace is not an option for me. It requires you to turn on your sim just to process each purchase, and that's a killer for me, why? just remember that the many and heavy resources our computers draw on every time the simulator runs are taxing our machines, so if possible, it's best to try to do everything from outside the sim, except the simulation by itself, of course.

Edited by edpatino
  • Like 2

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I won’t use the marketplace unless it’s the only way.  I’m not a fan of the sim market app. So I’d say orbx.  

• Like 3

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

1. Developer: my favorite option. Your money supports them in full, upgrades are quickly available. I am talking of "good" developers. There are some that just try to take advantage of you, so be diligent in your market research.

2. Simmarket: another good option. They deal with developers reasonably (some other distributors do not, I have first-hand information about that), have a huge selection, and a professional web page. I never had bad experiences with them, but some others here may differ. I don't use their app, I go through their web page.

3. Marketplace: I like that I can support the makers of MSFS, but that is about it. The worst aspect is that many files are encrypted, which means a lot of third-party product cannot interact with the product. For instance, a tool like GSX or FSCaptain, which needs information about airport details, may not be able to obtain that information. If you buy the product from another source, these limitations do not apply.

4. ORBX. Limited product selection, and an awful Orbs loyalty system. That system alone keeps me from buying anything there. Pity, they used to be my favorite scenery developers for P3D, but now they are a shadow of their former self.

Edited by qqwertzde
  • Like 5

I was one of Orbx best customers in P3D.

Edited by newtie

Consider using the marketplace to help keep the sim alive and kicking.

• Like 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Developer first, especially if the product will have numerous updates or bug fixes. The Devs always have the updates first whereas the Marketplace takes weeks for an update to show.

Then price. My loyalty lies with the vendor having the lowest price. Why pay more when you're getting the exact same 1s and 0s?

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

I'm using Marketplace, Simmarket, Contrail and ORBX apps.

They all work great including download speeds in my experience.

Only technical issues I have are from Marketplace via Steam Store Credit purchases.

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

If you live in a country with a low value currency Marketplace is a good option because they have regional prices (just like Steam) and the addons will be much cheaper. If not, I recommend buying from the developer as you will get the updates faster than from other vendors.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Thanks for the great info.

I think my next ac is going to be the Kodiak.

Had some hours in the Milviz Beaver and miss those bush flights. 🙃

1 hour ago, newtie said:

I was one of Orbx best customers in P3D.

Me too but they are not so great for scenery anymore.  At least for their USA airports - they are very much ported from p3d.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I was just over there. I have a lot, if not most, of their NA airports. Look basically the same.

i always  buy  from the  dev

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Since I purchased a lot of these addons a few years back for P3D, I purchase the MSFS version from the same store to get the upgrade discount (which is how I built up my MSFS library over time).  Simmarket is my default setting unless there is better pricing/bundle/exclusive offer from Orbx or iniBuilds. FSDT always direct. Built in Sim Marketplace is only for first party birds like the ATR or third parties like Carenado or LHsimulations who ONLY use the Marketplace. 

3 hours ago, qqwertzde said:

For instance, a tool like GSX or FSCaptain, which needs information about airport details, may not be able to obtain that information.

Not anymore in GSX, since the SU10 (later improved with SU12 with data about jetways), the SDK provides add-ons with Simconnect calls that can provide most of the information required directly from the sim, without having to read any .BGL files directly, which came with its own issues as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1