Sign in to follow this  
Guest EvilNando

FS11...first mention

Guest evo9mr

Hey all, One of our beloved MSFS designers has posted the first hints of a FS11. http://blogs.technet.com/p-12c_pilot/default.aspx This is a good sign that FS10 is doing well enough to justify a new version. Lets start the wish list by sending your thoughts to MS. This is the time that we can have direct inputs into the next version...not a year from now when they have a firm features list.Marc(1st post ever but been reading this site since 1997)

Guest JIMJAM

First they need to figure out what kind of speed and performance computers will have in a few years.Then program the sim to ensure that none of them can possibly run it:P

There was never a shred of doubt in my mind that FS11 would never see the light of day.FS has been around for 25 years and will be most likely be around for another 25. Just because Vista and FSX have been a disappointment, it doesn't mean that there won't be any new Windows or FS releases anymore. Anyone remember WinME? I am almost certain that we'll see a new Windows version and FS version within the next 2 years. The business dictates new versions, because once a negative public opinion has formed, the only thing to rectify is to release something new. Ford Pinto anyone? You cannot go back and clean up the thousand of professional and amateur reviews ripping your product apart without releasing a complete new version. This is the worst nightmare for the marketing/sales department. Anyone noticed why you cannot find anymore "Wow" slogans on their website? They extended WinXP support, allowed customers to exchange Vista for XP, which means in human language: Sorry, we screwed up. Nothing wrong with that at all. They are entitled to do it. Lesson learned - time to move on.I would almost go as far as boldly saying that 90% of the MS OS design/coding team is already busy coding a Vista follow-up.Once "Acceleration" hits the street, FSX will be on life support and internally shelved while the majority of the team will work on FS11.Pat

Someone should create a FS11 pinned wish list thread.Here's one from me... Make more use of multiple cores, for example physics, AI, weather, multiplayer etc.

Matthew S

>Lets start the wish list by sending your>thoughts to MS. This is the time that we can have direct>inputs into the next version...not a year from now when they>have a firm features list.Please, people, listen to this man.FSX was the third version of MSFS, where I saw several feature-wish-lists or threads on the web... when the first screen shots were released! Which is obviously way too late to influence the planned feature list.There seems to be a huge interest in wish-lists for upcoming versions of FS. If that hasn't changed, the thread(s) should be started ... very soon.nbz

Actually, Vista is selling rather well, if you take into account that most people are getting their OS via PC purchases instead of from retail these days, and the PC market is up.Just recently, someone quoted 60 million licenses to date or something like that in a News.com story. Retail is down, but sales are on track, according to what I read.The funny thing is that you are doing what you talk about in your post, namely being influenced by amateur reviews and blogs.

Good idea. I'd propose get a thread created and make it sticky or even a separate sub-forum, because hundreds of threads circling around the same topic and spamming the official FSX forums doesn't serve anyone.Pat

I am not so sure that there are going to be unlimited number of FS series comming out. After a while, there will be less and less features that can be added to the program. But the following is my list of wishes: 1) I want cloud shawdows. I want the ground to be dark when cloudy. 2) No more casting of object shawdows when cloudy.3) Light sources other than sun. So objects can be illuminated by say landing lights. 4) SID and STAR procedures.5) Bring back phototextures around airports.6) Improve snow and rain effects back to at least FS9 levels.7) Blowing Snow conditions and Snow trails.8) Use of Bump Mapping to create ice on runways.9) Other environmental effects such as smog and smoke (That cause decreasing visibilities.10) Less Cartoonish Autogen that blends better with photo textures.11) New missions and aircraft.12) Reduce Autogen size. They are too big right now.13) Slopping runways.14) Aviation carrier managmenet and build up.15) Smooth transitions between weather stations.16) Improved ATC instructions. (no more 6 oclock contact calls).17) Increased scenery objects and landmarks.18) Interactivity with Train simulator.19) Solid overcasts

Nope, I am not influenced by the reviews. Not for one bit. I am a Sr. Systems Admin for a major US college and have worked before for several Fortune 500 companies, all which laid plans to rest to move to Vista. Just to name a few: Mercedes-Benz USA, Del Monte, several US energy companies, Deutsche Bank USA. At least that was the status when I left in May of this year.I have purchased licenses for all my workstations, servers and laptops at home and I am extremely disappointed in Vista. Compatibility issues still exists, broken network connectivity (Samba/Linux), UAC, DEP are a major, major headache, not only for the end-users, but also even more for the business user. One example: Software distribution. UAC, DEP breaks about 70% of silent installs to client computers, so the end user is forced to stare at a error message when he/she returns to the desktop and will promptly open a support call, because they think that "something is wrong". Even better, there is no workaround for it, except for turning off the "feature".During an internal Vista beta test that we conducted with about 3000 pilot users, our support calls have increased 300%. Not very desirable from a business perspective. It also turned out that about 30% of our business desktops are not capable of running Vista. Not because they don't have enough memory or CPU power, but because of driver and application incompatibilities or the lack thereof. The transition from Windows 95 to Windows 2k was a snap compared to Vista and it has nothing really to do with implementing a ground-breaking new technology, like Active Directory back then in Win2K.WinXP was a piece of cake to administer compared to Vista. I still find myself wondering why my HDD keeps on spinning like crazy, despite the fact of having Search, Indexing and all other hungry services disabled. Memory management is broken, by far compared to any *nix machine, the file system is a disaster and outdated. Not even low-level tools like ProcMon can shed light into those problems - they just "are".The driver signing procedures are broken, because of lengthy reviews by MS. Companies cannot wait that long. Any certification procedure is fairly useless, if you have just one unsigned and certified driver in your environment, which happens to be the standard, instead of the opposite.From an admin/support point of view, Vista is a nightmare, because it takes a very customized and specialized image to make Vista just remotely interesting/useful for business use. And I think that my personal and professional experiences and impressions about the lack of motivation of businesses and home users to move towards Vista can be translated to a much wider scale.Only about 10% of the students here use Vista and the rest is divided almost equally between WinXP and OSX.Sure, Vista sales are surging again, but probably more because of DX10 and the appeal to gamer than anything else. If it wasn't for DX10, the future would certainly look very bleak for Vista, as far as I am concerned. If you created a poll in here asking why users bought Vista. I'd bet that 70% answer because of DX10, not because of the new features or stability.Pat

Guest evo9mr

Dont post it here...send it to the "tell fs" link...ugh, I'll find it for you.Then again, I cant find the tell_fs link...so find it yourself. }(

Good list... but also IMHO they must focus on multi core (even if it means single core systems run like a dog).When FS11 comes out 2 years from now quad core will be entry level.Can you imagine what 4 (not to mention 8 or even 16 cores) will do for things like physics, AI and weather.

Matthew S

Here's a request for FS11...Please don't show any stars until the sun has set! It totally ruins the realism when flying around dusk and dawn. It's been there for the past two versions.Thanks.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

>>Anyone remember WinME? I am almost certain that we'll see a>new Windows version and FS version within the next 2 years.>The business dictates new versions, because once a negative>public opinion has formed, the only thing to rectify is to>release something new. If you are implying that Windows Vista and FSX are both in the same category as WindowsMe, then I think you are wrong. :)RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

While on the topic of age old issues with the FS series, the following legends should be high on the "to fix" list:1. Sudden Wind Shifts2. Incorrect Timezones3. Under-utilisation of the GPUGary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Guest roddymod

Don't hold your breath .Rod.