Sign in to follow this  
TacomaSailor

FPS / CPU / GPU usage does not change LowEnd->Ultra

Occasionally, while flying I notice the FPS has stabilized at 19 - 20 in locations where it is normally a steady 30.  Sometimes this is at the very start of a session or sometimes in the middle.  Shutting down the sim and restarting restores the 30 FPS with no other changes.

BUT - what is odd, at least seems odd to me!, is that changing the MSFS settings from Ultra to Low End or anything in between causes almost no change in FPS or usage.  For example:

Ultra Settings  - FPS 19 - 20 / CPU usage 47% to 67% spread across 5 of 7 CPUs / GPU usage 22% to 60%  CPU service time 27 to 31ms and GPU service time 21.5 to 22.7 ms

Low Settings -  FPS 20 - 21 / CPU usage 28% to 62% spread across 5 of 7 CPUs / GPU usage 9% to 34%  CPU service time 26 to 31ms and GPU service time 11.9 to 12.1 ms

When the sim is running "normally" I use a combination of mostly ULTRA with a few High settings:

-  FPS 29 - 30 / CPU usage 65% to 85% spread across 5 of 7 CPUs / GPU usage 98% to 100%  CPU service time 22 to 24ms and GPU service time  to 19 to 22 ms

This is in Win 11 / DX12 / DLSS Balanced

My inquiry is mostl curiosity because there is an easy fix (restart) and it does not happen very often.  I am careful to ensure NOTHING is running that is not necessary to support the sim and Task Manager shows that to be true.  I have NO security software running and NO firewall.  Network is 600+ Bps.  

Any thoughts?  I have seen this topic mentioned before but no one has mentioned that changing sim settings does not change FPS or usage. 

• Like 1

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

Your CPU time didn’t change between settings so it’s likely what ever is bottle necking is bottle necking on a single core or thread and holding everything up.  Whatever hang up, object LOD or process that’s doing that doesn’t change between ultra/low end, so it could be the aircraft, a MOD, maybe the airport or the terrain LOD.

These are guesses but historically it’s quite common for something in MSFS to snag the CPU cycle and plummet FPS. It’s usually a mod, setting, app, something like that.