Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

Jörg Nuemann's presentation.

" Using data of Microsoft’s home city of Seattle, which Bing Maps has rendered down to five-centimeter resolution... Asobo took a few weeks to put together a demo of a Cessna flying downtown. Neumann then showed it to Phil Spencer...

"He just looked at me and said, 'Why are you showing me a video of a plane?'" Neumann says. "And then the plane turned, and we flew over the Microsoft campus where we were... right now. And he’s like, 'Is this real time? Is this running?' And I'm like, 'Yes, it is!' And we knew then we had something special."

– Jörg Neumann on presenting an early build of Flight Simulator to Xbox head Phil Spencer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_(2020_video_game)

• Like 3

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Where's the presentation?😶  Your link above looks to be click bait... 

• Like 2

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, Fielder said:

Jörg Neumann on presenting an early build of Flight Simulator to Xbox head Phil Spencer

this article is a few years old, and partially wrong:

"Asobo Studio developed Microsoft Flight Simulator ..... It is the first major entry in the Microsoft Flight Simulator series since 2006's Flight Simulator X (FSX),"

so Microsoft FLIGHT in 2012 never happened then:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Flight

• Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

1 hour ago, turbomax said:

this article is a few years old, and partially wrong:

"Asobo Studio developed Microsoft Flight Simulator ..... It is the first major entry in the Microsoft Flight Simulator series since 2006's Flight Simulator X (FSX),"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Flight

In that link you posted you can read Microsoft Flight is not part of the Flight Simulator Series.

Microsoft Flight is an amateur flight simulation from Microsoft Studios created as a spin-off of the Microsoft Flight Simulator series.

This is the Microsoft Flight Simulator Series:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator

And there it is:

Microsoft released a new flight simulator titled Microsoft Flight in February 2012. Developed by The Coalition (as Microsoft Game Studios Vancouver), it was not part of the Microsoft Flight Simulator series

Edited by Alvega

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

5 hours ago, turbomax said:

It wasn't major

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

6 hours ago, turbomax said:

It was disowned by the Microsoft Flight Simulator fans about the time when it more or less found out (not announced) it was going to be Hawaii only. 

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

No one really cares about MS Flight (generally described as a Flight Simulator "spin off") these days.

Which is not surprising as it was released Feb 2012 and development cancelled by July 2012.  It lasted less than 6 months and barely made a splash.

Seems very few people wanted to fly an Icon A5 around Hawaii even when it was free.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

No one really cares about MS Flight (generally described as a Flight Simulator "spin off") these days.

Which is not surprising as it was released Feb 2012 and development cancelled by July 2012.  It lasted less than 6 months and barely made a splash.

Seems very few people wanted to fly an Icon A5 around Hawaii even when it was free.

I genuinely forget it ever existed until we get the obligatory "But what about MS Flight? Hur hur hur. Asobo learned everything from MS Flight obviously!" post in these threads once a month or so.

It was a nothing, complete zero, released broken and with performance issues and literally just covered Hawaii. It's a bit like saying an iPhone Call of Duty game should be considered part of the overall Call of Duty franchise progression.

9 hours ago, Fielder said:

" Using data of Microsoft’s home city of Seattle, which Bing Maps has rendered down to five-centimeter resolution... Asobo took a few weeks to put together a demo of a Cessna flying downtown. Neumann then showed it to Phil Spencer...

"He just looked at me and said, 'Why are you showing me a video of a plane?'" Neumann says. "And then the plane turned, and we flew over the Microsoft campus where we were... right now. And he’s like, 'Is this real time? Is this running?' And I'm like, 'Yes, it is!' And we knew then we had something special."

– Jörg Neumann on presenting an early build of Flight Simulator to Xbox head Phil Spencer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_(2020_video_game)

I wouldn't be surprised that when Jorg and his team did the presentation to Phil Spencer and the other Microsoft execs, to convince them of green lighting MSFS, that Jorg showed them the graphics and capabilities of the other flight simulators at the time, including civilian flight simulators, and may have even showed them the combat flight simulators as well. None of the civilian flight simulators or combat flight simulators were using real time streaming of satellite scenery. And if Jorg had good photogrammetry to show them, especially because Seattle photogrammetry in MSFS is decent, it probably made his presentation look even better.

This is one thing I like about the MSFS team, that they are so forward thinking and willing to embrace new technologies.  Look at frame generation in MSFS now with an NVidia 4000 series card. MSFS was literally one of the first games to support frame generation with an NVidia 4000 series card, and NVidia's CEO, Jensen Huang, used MSFS at his NVidia 4000 series reveal, to demonstrate the capabilities of frame generation.  When a flight simulator is breaking new ground with new technology, that speaks volumes, IMO.

This is what we need in a flight simulator team, a team that is always looking at new technologies, and willing to push the limit, just to make their flight simulator better. I am very thankful that MSFS has pulled flight simulation into the 2020s. Heck, with frame generation, MSFS is pulling flight simulation into what a flight simulator can do in 2023. I hope the MSFS team keeps this forward thinking attitude and keeps embracing new technologies!

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 3

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

I read this thread once. I didn't understand what it was all about. Maybe I thought that  I needed a second cup of coffee to clear up my mind. After a good one I read back again. I still not understand. I reckon the only explanation is  my poor comprehension of English.  

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

5 hours ago, Krakin said:
11 hours ago, turbomax said:

It wasn't major

while it had the best graphics, terrain and clouds of any flight simulator at the time (incl. FSX), it lacked everything else, most notably an SDK, airliners and world wide scenery, which ultimately killed it. It was innovative, but only a short lived part in the evolution of flight simulation. Microsoft learnt from its mistakes and only eight years later, thanks to tremendous improvements in CPU/GPU/server technology gave us the best Flight simulator in MSFS 2020.

Microsoft Flight System Requirements (Minimum)
CPU: Info
CPU SPEED: Dual Core 2.0 GHz
RAM: 2 GB
VIDEO CARD: 256 MB card capable of shader 3.0 (DX 9.0c compliant)
DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 256 MB
PIXEL SHADER: 3.0
VERTEX SHADER: 3.0
FREE DISK SPACE: 10 GB

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

18 hours ago, Dillon said:

Your link above looks to be click bait... 

Clickbait? It's a wikipedia article...

20 hours ago, Dillon said:

Where's the presentation?😶  Your link above looks to be click bait... 

Words have meaning. My post contained this sentence and an elaboration upon it. "Neumann then showed it to Phil Spencer...".

That presentation was when Spencer began to see the viability of MSFS which changed flight simulation forever. 

• Like 3

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Microsoft FLIGHT was so advanced you needed a GPU better than my lousy RTX 4090:

flightsystemrequiremez7ita.jpg

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 2

very nice.