Sign in to follow this  
jmdriskell

Loading a .PLN vs .FLT

Working out the kinks of MSFS.  PMDG DC-6 tutorial asks to load a *.PLN, dialog box only sees *.FLT. Before I installed the Workplace GNS 430/530, I think I remember that the dialog box saw the *.PLN files, now only *.FLT files are acceptable.  What am I missing?  I can create *.FLT files but why aren't *.PLN file acceptable.

Thanks,

Jim Driskell

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

1 hour ago, jmdriskell said:

Working out the kinks of MSFS.  PMDG DC-6 tutorial asks to load a *.PLN, dialog box only sees *.FLT. Before I installed the Workplace GNS 430/530, I think I remember that the dialog box saw the *.PLN files, now only *.FLT files are acceptable.  What am I missing?  I can create *.FLT files but why aren't *.PLN file acceptable.

Thanks,

Jim Driskell

A .pln file is a flight plan file for a flight you are about to fly. It is usually created with an external flight planning program or flight planning web site.  A .flt plan is a file that has saved some of the elements of a flight you have underway, presumedly so you might later resume the flight.  However there are some significant issues with resuming a flight, such as restoring the position(s) of your flight controls, restarting some systems like GPS, re-engaging AP and AP settings, etc.  The two; .pln and .flt are intended for two significantly different scenarios.  If you have not created any .pln files then none will be displayed for selection.  They must exist for selection and must first be created.

Who is Workplace GNS?  Did you intend to write Working Title?

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Yes, Working Title; couldn't remember the creator.  I've always used *.PLNs genreated by PFPX or FSCommander (which won't run without FSX installed).  I could import the plans into the FSX PMDG DC-6 w/o problems but now MSFS seems to want a *.FLT. 

Too many bells and whistles in MSFS that I slowly working thru.

Jim

8 minutes ago, jmdriskell said:

Yes, Working Title; couldn't remember the creator.  I've always used *.PLNs genreated by PFPX or FSCommander (which won't run without FSX installed).  I could import the plans into the FSX PMDG DC-6 w/o problems but now MSFS seems to want a *.FLT. 

Too many bells and whistles in MSFS that I slowly working thru.

Jim

I recommend Little Navmap, it's the best you can get, and free.

https://albar965.github.io/littlenavmap.html

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

All my flight plans in MSFS 2020 are .pln files and i have well over a  thousand of them. I get them from Simbrief. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

7 hours ago, jmdriskell said:

Thanks,

Jim Driskell

I think that depends on where you load them:

1. On the World Map you can load both FLT and PLN

2. In flight you can only load FLT (for whatever reason, seems weird TBH)

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Thanks for the help.  Got it figured out.  I was waiting too long before trying to load a plan.  Didn't see the "more" function at the bottom of the proper page.  Now it works as advertised.

Now on the the next function. 

Jim

On 5/29/2023 at 12:20 PM, Alvega said:

I recommend Little Navmap, it's the best you can get, and free.

I concur..  Very easy to make a flight plan and save to MSFS20 (check under the main File tab in LittleNavMap). When you start MSFS you will then see both flt and pln files as options.

Thanks, I'll look into LittleNavMap.

Jim

When starting a flight in World Map, I don't see an option/hot spot/button  to load a previously created .PLN file for my flight plan. Please let me know how to load a .PLN file for my flight plan.

zachlog

8 minutes ago, zachlog said:

When starting a flight in World Map, I don't see an option/hot spot/button  to load a previously created .PLN file for my flight plan. Please let me know how to load a .PLN file for my flight plan.

Check this: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/is-there-a-way-to-save-and-re-load-flight-plans/464600

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White