Sign in to follow this  
dougfir

Reinstalling MSFS2020?

From inside my running copy of MSFS2020, the  Marketplace  shows I own Premium Deluxe upgrade.

However if I go to the Microsoft Store and sign in it doesn't show I own either the Standard or the Premium Deluxe version.

It just shows "Buy..."

I am trying to install MSFS2020 on a new PC I just built and assumed the MS Store would just reinstall to a new location but I guess not.

So, how do you get MS to install the sim without buying it again? I'm not trying to get 2 copies, I will uninstall from the old PC when the new install is up and running.

Thanks

I would guess you need to uninstall the original copy first, then add to the new PC.  

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

2 hours ago, dougfir said:

However if I go to the Microsoft Store and sign in it doesn't show I own either the Standard or the Premium Deluxe version.

In the MS Store, select Library (bottom left corner), then Games.. what does it show?

This is assuming that you are signing on with the same account ID as when you bought the program.

Bert

Yes Bert, sort of.

I remembered when I bought the game through the Microsoft Store it had me install the XBox App ( even though I don't have an XBox)
So now I opened the XBox app and indeed it showed I owned the basic, deluxe, and Premium versions.

I have cloned my old MSFS2020 drive to a new drive on my new system.
I selected Install to the new drive. At first the install took about 1 minute since it found all the standard version files existed.

Then it came to the Deluxe and Premium upgrades and I could not stop it from updating those files.
Problem is, it is downloading all of those files as if they don't exist so this will take awhile as you all know.

I believe as you have posted to someone else I probably should have just left the new drive blank and started from zero.
Oh well, we shall see what happens next, sometime tomorrow at least.

Thanks, I shall report back.

Conclusion

Well, it all worked, just not exactly as I thought.
I presumed the reinstall would not re-copy existing files but it did anyway.
As I said the new drive was an exact clone of the original.
I pointed the install to the new (cloned) drive and away it went - copied every file again, took hours.
Obviously what I was trying to avoid in the first place.

Bottom line, I have MSFS2020 working on the new build.
Thanks for watching.
John

• Like 1