Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

I'm trying to speed up my launch of MSFS...

11 hours ago, Mace said:

From my perspective....I always start with addon linker anyway, so I'm not gaining or losing anything in terms of time.  I always use addon linker to select or deselect what I want to fly/load etc.

Same here. My 500-odd scenery addons are all off by default (except the libraries which are always on by default)  and I switch on only the area I will fly which really takes me a couple of seconds. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

15 hours ago, Alvega said:

My finger was itching over the buy button so i decided to go ahead and also bought a 2TB SSD (Crucial MX500) to replace my old Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD. Hope you can tell me your loading times decreased so I don't regret this, lol.

I didn’t have much time last night after copying everything over but my initial view was the SSD did NOT improve my loading times.  It’s still around 10-12 mins on a clean boot, and around 6 or 7 mins if I shut down the sim and launch it again without rebooting.  More testing required tonight.

Thomas Derbyshire

3 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

I didn’t have much time last night after copying everything over but my initial view was the SSD did NOT improve my loading times.  It’s still around 10-12 mins on a clean boot, and around 6 or 7 mins if I shut down the sim and launch it again without rebooting.  More testing required tonight.

Hmm, I had the feeling it wouldn't improve much, but after seeing some saying it would help significantly because it's 10 times faster I decided to buy one too. Oh well, I can always return it or sell  if it doesn't improve anything for me. Thanks.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

40 minutes ago, Alvega said:

Hmm, I had the feeling it wouldn't improve much, but after seeing some saying it would help significantly because it's 10 times faster I decided to buy one too. Oh well, I can always return it or sell  if it doesn't improve anything for me. Thanks.

Yea I was hopeful at best.  I did seem quicker loading in the Fenix from the Main menu though but this could just be placebo. 

EDIT: Just booted my sim from a clean PC boot, 7 mins 24 secs to get to main menu.  On my HDD in this scenario it somes took anywhere from 10-15 mins, definitely not consistent.  So again this might be one of those things but tonights loading of the sim was quicker than my test yesterday.  Make of that what you will.  I'm running an i7 4790k, 16GB RAM (2300mhz I think) and a 1070 so yep ancient gear.

I did a quick hop from LGKR - LGAV in the PMDG 737 800 and it was really smooth but I need to stress test this more.  I might fly into EGLL tonight see how it fares.

I'm kind of hoping the SSD will smooth out some kinks in the sim whilst I'm flying, maybe remove the odd stutter things like that.  Either way I was running out of space anyway so I've got an extra drive with 2TB at least.

One question I still have, I just simply moved my \community and \official folders to the SSD.  I renamed my original folders, booted the sim and on launch it asked me where my \packages folder was.  I pointed it to the SSD and voila.  Thing is the base install is still on my D drive under my Steam library folders.  Any value in shifting the install to my SSD as well??

Edited by sidfadc

Thomas Derbyshire

4 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

Yea I was hopeful at best.  I did seem quicker loading in the Fenix from the Main menu though but this could just be placebo.  I did a quick hop from LGKR - LGAV in the PMDG 737 800 and it was really smooth but I need to stress test this more.  I might fly into EGLL tonight see how it fares.

I'm kind of hoping the SSD will smooth out some kinks in the sim whilst I'm flying, maybe remove the odd stutter things like that.  Either way I was running out of space anyway so I've got an extra drive with 2TB at least.

One question I still have, I just simply moved my \community and \official folders to the SSD.  I renamed my original folders, booted the sim and on launch it asked me where my \packages folder was.  I pointed it to the SSD and voila.  Thing is the base install is still on my D drive under my Steam library folders.  Any value in shifting the install to my SSD as well??

Not sure, but what I'm going to do is cloning my 2TB HDD where I have all the Steam games (including MSFS) to the SSD. So my case will be different than yours because I will have the sim base install and the community folders all in the same SSD. 

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

1 minute ago, Alvega said:

Not sure, but what I'm going to do is cloning my 2TB HDD where I have all the Steam games (including MSFS) to the SSD. So my case will be different than yours because I will have the sim base install and the community folders all in the same SSD. 

ok let me know how you get on.  I edited my previous post with some additional info btw.

Thomas Derbyshire

22 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

ok let me know how you get on.  I edited my previous post with some additional info btw.

Ok, I have a 4790K too, also with 16GB RAM but my GPU is an RTX 2060 Super. Will see how it goes when my SSD arrives (probably Monday) and will let you know. 

Alvega

I already tried all sorts of things and loading times are always slow with that freeze at 50% no matter what, only thing that works is a clean fresh install, but as soon as i start to add extras here we go again.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

2 minutes ago, The_Flying_Potato said:

Is Addon Linker a bit like X-Plane's X-Organizer?

Yes, it's similar.

• Like 1

Alvega

On 5/30/2023 at 9:27 AM, Dave_YVR said:

How long does it take you to open addon linker then select and disable those addons compared to just letting them load? 

Takes me anywhere from 10, 20, 30 seconds? If I am doing a flight where I don't need GSX or do not feel like using it that day, I probably saved at least 30 seconds or more with that one add-on.

Edited by reignman40

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

If anybody is thinking about putting MSFS in a NVME over an decent SSD , i wouldnt bother hadly any difference in load times 

• Like 2

ROG Crossair Hero X670e , 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM  6000 ( allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer iii 360 AIO  . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz ( allegedly ) TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

8 hours ago, sonny147 said:

If anybody is thinking about putting MSFS in a NVME over an decent SSD , i wouldnt bother hadly any difference in load times 

I wonder if it would help loading times if MS/Asobo get around to implementing DirectStorage.

What is DirectStorage and is your PC next-gen ready? (pocket-lint.com)

• Like 1

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

On 6/1/2023 at 3:53 PM, sidfadc said:

My SSD arrived and I just made some tests and it improved the loading time around 15% to 20% but where I noticed the big difference was on the stutters. I didn't have many (most were approaching the airports) but now in 3 flights not even one stutter. I thought they were caused by the CPU but it looks like it was the HDD when loading the textures. It's much better now.

I also moved my addons folder (that I use with Addons Linker) from another HDD where I had it to the new SSD where I have the sim now, that is probably helping too.

• Like 3

Alvega