Sign in to follow this  
Guest jshyluk

FSX installation counter

Hi all,I'm about to replace and sell my old PC, so I'll swap FSX and other SW stuff.When I install FSX on the new PC, I have to activate again and I think it will count for another installation in MS Data Base. Is there a (legal) way not to have this happen?Frankly, I dont'like the idea to call Microsoft from Europe and explain the whole story.Probably, it's not a real issue, as I have activated FSX only the first time.Thanks in advance for any suggestionRegardsFulvio

Don't worry about it. :)The counter, as far as I know, counts the number of installations you perform within a certain timeframe. Given you've only installed once, and it seems like it may have been a while ago, you'll have no problems at all. Even if they do force a phone call out of you, it's quite an easy process. I have installed FSX from scratch a great many times so far (6-7 times maybe?) and I've only had to call twice. Each of those calls were VERY painless. I wasn't treated like a criminal - they asked the reason for the install (I was rebuilding my computer at the time) if it was retail or if it came with my computer, if it was installed on any other computers, then they provided me with the activation code. Of course, some consider the sheer phone call to be criminal treatment, but I won't get into that. If you are the legal owner of the software, you can install it as many times as you need!-Greg

Guest jshyluk

Oh, boy, here we go again! I'm going to try to forestall this dead horse from rising from it's grave - I am adverse to all of the beating.We don't own FSX, we lease it. Microsoft is the owner, and they have given themselves the right to protect their software from harmful use, i.e. dastardly piracy.Re-installing FSX isn't quite piracy, but it doesn't help with security, either, which I think is why people get so concerned about this. As a practical matter, it's very easy to re-install FSX, and most times, you shouldn't have to worry about calling it in at all, especially don't worry if this is your first time re-installing. It's mostly painless. Mostly.Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer, Avsim

You should be fine. Last week my old PC died so I purchased a new one. Installed FSX and activated, downloaded and installed SP1, and all went smooth on the first try with no phone calls needed.You will most likely not have a problem.Phill

Hi,thanks everybody for the comments.Just one note to mr. Jeff Shyluk, a "Senior Staff Reviewer", (whose comment I'm attaching) to help him understand my point.As one can guess from my post, English is not my mothertongue, so my concern was not being caught with an illegal copy (I bought it) but rather the difficulty of making a phone call in English and not understandig what they were telling me.I think this could never be a problem for mr. Shyluk, as I'm quite sure is fluent in five or six languages...RegardsFulvio--------------------------------------------------------Oh, boy, here we go again! I'm going to try to forestall this dead horse from rising from it's grave - I am adverse to all of the beating.We don't own FSX, we lease it. Microsoft is the owner, and they have given themselves the right to protect their software from harmful use, i.e. dastardly piracy.Re-installing FSX isn't quite piracy, but it doesn't help with security, either, which I think is why people get so concerned about this. As a practical matter, it's very easy to re-install FSX, and most times, you shouldn't have to worry about calling it in at all, especially don't worry if this is your first time re-installing. It's mostly painless. Mostly.Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer, Avsim

Guest jshyluk

I mostly get by with just one language, unless you also count the International Language of Love.To be honest, I've never until now given any thought to what language the Microsoft phone staff use. What few dealings I have had with them were all in English, and their questions were clear and easy to understand (in English). I would assume that since they've released FSX in a number of languages, that they would process you through the bureaucracy in the language of your choice (but not Love, I don't think). Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer