Sign in to follow this  
MrBitstFlyer

Better lighting in MSFS now?

12 hours ago, honanhal said:

I definitely don't disagree that there's room for a lot more regional/seasonal lighting and color effects

I wholeheartedly agree and will also state I think it's strongly within the realm of probability that this will change going forward.  I think there are several elements of the sim that are sort of in a placeholder state:  a decent place to start until the team gets back to tuning.  This is true for ATC, lighting schema, even clouds and seasonal change.  I say this because of the size of the team, the success of MSFS, and its suggested 10y service life.  I installed the XP12 demo and after maybe 8 times up thought there was nothing special about its lighting and w/o a doubt thought MSFS' already was superior--but the demo is very limited so didn't get to really delve in enough to know for sure.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I have also noticed a change in the last few days with the lighting. They defiantly tweaked something on there end.

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

30 minutes ago, FreeBird(Josh) said:

I have also noticed a change in the last few days with the lighting. They defiantly tweaked something on there end.

I've not noticed anything either.  Is this a preset weather thing or a live weather thing also

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ErichB said:

I've not noticed anything either.  Is this a preset weather thing or a live weather thing also

No preset just a observation. Maybe they did something to the shadowing. On my system everything is crisper and definitions stand out. I haven't changed anything in the sim. They can tweak allot of things on there end.

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

On 5/31/2023 at 9:50 AM, FreeBird(Josh) said:

No preset just a observation. Maybe they did something to the shadowing. On my system everything is crisper and definitions stand out. I haven't changed anything in the sim. They can tweak allot of things on there end.

I think I agree-I've made some other changes (DSR 4x up from 2x, and Digital Brilliance up from 50 to 65), so perhaps it was really those things not 100% sure.  I would not have guessed those changes would impact visuals that much as I've used them previously.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I guess this is a personal perception, what I like most about x-plane and its lights is that it seems to me a more realistic environment, mfs seems to me more like a cartoon. 

I enjoy both of them and I think that to close yourself off to just one simulator is to miss out on a lot of fun things. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aglos77 said:

I guess this is a personal perception, what I like most about x-plane and its lights is that it seems to me a more realistic environment, mfs seems to me more like a cartoon. 

I enjoy both of them and I think that to close yourself off to just one simulator is to miss out on a lot of fun things. 

XP during daylight hours looks so unrealistic. MSFS beats it easily. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

36 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

XP during daylight hours looks so unrealistic. MSFS beats it easily. 

Clearly for me that wasnt the case considering I preferred XP12 since release.  For you it was the other way around, which is understandable.  We all perceive things differently so ones individual choice cannot be argued with.

I have opened MSFS a couple of times a month, but I perceived the lighting to be better in XP12.  However, for me something has changed in MSFS to reverse my thoughts on previous loads. I have flown MSFS a few times over the last few days and have been impressed. Lighting, shading, colouring seem to be improved. No longer do I perceive MSFS lighting to be too white, too bright, washed out.  Perhaps something else changed - maybe my eyesite 😁

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

7 hours ago, Aglos77 said:

what I like most about x-plane and its lights is that it seems to me a more realistic environment, mfs seems to me more like a cartoon. 

For me it's more like XP12 is drab, artificial, un-alive, whereas MSFS is alive, exciting, and in your face hyperreal. I think we will continue to see more and more refinement of all sorts of elements in MSFS including lighting. 

• Like 4

Noel

7 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

No longer do I perceive MSFS lighting to be too white, too bright, washed out.  Perhaps something else changed - maybe my eyesite 😁

I'm a steady user and I've noticed some change in the same ways, but have made some adjustments to graphics recently so hard to know what's what.  I do know it's now best ever.

• Like 1

Noel

the problem with night light in msfs is the photogrammetry cities that are too dark cause building lights are terrible i hope they have a idea to fix this cause if you flight over new York at night like like electric power went off.

XP 12 i think have better airport light i never played XP but the photos i saw look better

The lighting in XP 12 is terrible. It's infinitely worse than MSFS.  I can always tell it's XP 12 because the lighting is so bad. 

27 minutes ago, Flightsky said:

The lighting in XP 12 is terrible. It's infinitely worse than MSFS.  I can always tell it's XP 12 because the lighting is so bad. 

Notice every screenshot you see of XP12 is the only sweetspot people think actually looks good.

Late evening sunset or early sunrise hours lighting with that wet pavement is the go to "see XP12 looks gorgeous too" every time.😂

At this point it's pretty much the go to setting for addon devs to take screenshots of products because anything outside of the sunrise/sunset/wet pavement looks just as bland as XP11.🤣

a320%20-%202022-09-05%2022.42.36.jpg

xp12-aerobask-dr401-key-west-wet-weather

617ade704801ad7687fe06c1_Jdl48gfanIeFZX7

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 2

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

My only wish for MSFS was some sky tuning based on region. Living in a nordic country and watching those bombastic colors, especially during sunrise and sunset, looks off. Rarely to never see those full fat tropical orange skies. Always a lot more muted and subtle here, with a very brief window of colors in a limited area.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

For MSFS, how good the lighting is - a lot of it depends where you are flying.

However, XP looks terrible in general, so even if it did look better at night, it looks worse in every other way.

• Like 2

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram