quick q: how can I quickly change the descent angle for a single flight? for example in the flight below it has decided the descent angle is -2.2 degrees. I would like this descent angle to be -4 degrees because of the mountains. Is there a button somewhere to simply change the descent?

spacer.png

7 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

quick q: how can I quickly change the descent angle for a single flight? for example in the flight below it has decided the descent angle is -2.2 degrees. I would like this descent angle to be -4 degrees because of the mountains. Is there a button somewhere to simply change the descent?

As I know descent angle in LNM is calculated statically and it depends on aircraft performance profile.
Copy current aircraft performance profile to new and change descent speed/descent rate to fit 4 deg. descent angle, that's all.

I hope this helps you 🙂

Regards,
Piotr

• Upvote 1

Never give up ...  - here are details of the whip-round: https://zrzutka.pl/en/pewr2d  -> to help my younger son fights against Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (blood cancer).

I'd rather modify the flight plan to descent through the valleys or simply ignore the descent angle in this case. This is only for VFR situations anyway.

If flying IFR you have to descent through the clouds using an approach procedure (maybe of a nearby airport as far as I understand) and then continue VFR below. Maybe some RW  pilot can correct me if I'm wrong.

Alex

3 hours ago, albar965 said:

I'd rather modify the flight plan to descent through the valleys or simply ignore the descent angle in this case. This is only for VFR situations anyway.

If flying IFR you have to descent through the clouds using an approach procedure (maybe of a nearby airport as far as I understand) and then continue VFR below. Maybe some RW  pilot can correct me if I'm wrong.

Alex

for these sorts of situations in the sim (like flying to uncontrolled airports in the Alps without procedures) I use the VNAV function in the G1000 and G3000 to simply enter the field elevation and descent angle. then it calculates your T.O.D. and descent path and guides you down to the field perfectly. The issue is a lot of the times you don't know what the safe descent angle is in order to clear the mountains. The typical -3 degree descent is too shallow and you'll run into the mountains. You need something like -4 or -5 degrees, but it can be a guess.

That's why I was trying to use LittleNavMap's flight plan elevation profile as it shows you exactly that sort of information you'd need to choose a proper decent angle. The problem is I couldn't find a way to simply change the descent angle like you do in MSFS. I would like to easily change the descent path to -4 degrees and use the elevation profile to see if that'd allow for a safe descent. Is this possible?

For example: as you can see in the screenshot, LNM chose a -2.2 degree descent path, which is too shallow and will crash you right into the mountains on my current route. However if I could change the descent path to -4 degrees I'll probably clear it safely. 

spacer.png

Edited by dresoccer4

19 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

That's why I was trying to use LittleNavMap's flight plan elevation profile as it shows you exactly that sort of information you'd need to choose a proper decent angle. The problem is I couldn't find a way to simply change the descent angle like you do in MSFS. I would like to easily change the descent path to -4 degrees and use the elevation profile to see if that'd allow for a safe descent. Is this possible?

Sorry, this is about the same as setting arbitrary altitude to waypoints. Both (arbitrary angle and altitude) would be an nightmarish effort to implement. 🤷‍♂️

Alex

1 minute ago, albar965 said:

Sorry, this is about the same as setting arbitrary altitude to waypoints. Both (arbitrary angle and altitude) would be an nightmarish effort to implement. 🤷‍♂️

Alex

Really? oh just assumed it was a setting somewhere. Where did LNM come up with -2.2 degrees for my above example then? There's no way to change that, even in the airplane setting? Usually the descent angle is -3 degrees, so when I saw this one change to -2.2 I assumed it was modifiable. 

5 minutes ago, albar965 said:

Alex

NVM I think I figured out a workaround! If I change the average vertical descent speed, it will change the descent angle shown as well in the vertical profile. I can just wiggle this value up or down until I reach the angle that clears all of the mountains. Cheers

spacer.png

Just now, dresoccer4 said:

Really? oh just assumed it was a setting somewhere. Where did LNM come up with -2.2 degrees for my above example then? There's no way to change that, even in the airplane setting? Usually the descent angle is -3 degrees, so when I saw this one change to -2.2 I assumed it was modifiable.

This is a complex calculation considering aircraft descent, wind aloft situation and procedure restrictions like altitude or vertical angle.

2 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

NVM I think I figured out a workaround! If I change the average vertical descent speed, it will change the descent angle shown as well in the vertical profile. I can just wiggle this value up or down until I reach the angle that clears all of the mountains. Cheers

Exactly this! 🙂

Save it as something like "aircraft - steep descent" for such situations. After flying it, adapt the fuel flow and speed as well to make the profile perfect.

Alex

• Like 1