Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

FSX - Now I'm a believer....

This is my last reply, clearly I shouldn't have been so negative in my first reply and I apologize so I'm going to end it here before my posting priviledges are revoked. I already made the $1500 investment I was talking about and I still think FSX sucks. I was speaking for others who can't afford a decent system or the time it takes to tweak and massage it into working properly. These are the people Microsoft tried to court with this latest version, and these people no longer use FSX because almost a year ago they saw the crappy performance and stopped using it. I load up the LDS 767 in FSX at DFW, with middle of the road settings, no autogen, and 50% traffic. And I see 13-15 FPS. And I have to ask myself what is the point in this new version? Why do the new graphical features that have been in other games for years have to be turned off because they use too many resources? Why does the new version oftentimes look worse than the old one? And why do we keep accepting this lame performance? And then here come the excuses about how it models the whole world not enough time, too much work, need more cores, etc. Just more reasons not to improve, not to innovate, not to move the sim in a direction that doesn't stop this idiotic cycle of having to go a generation backwards before we can go half a generation forwards. Sure in a year I may have that quad core processor and 9800GTX and be somewhat satisfied, but then I'll remember all of the frustration, bugs and lack of foresight FSX presented us and know that the next version will probably do the exact same thing bringing the exact same issues to the table. Anyway, thats all. Sorry for ruining the thread.

Hmmm.Been about a year now, and I still prefer FSX overall.Nothing more to say...L.Adamson

Alex don't get me wrong, I'm not a complete convert....I've got too much going on with FS9 - Complex add-ons, flight planning, etc, and it runs so very very well, that I have no intention of stopping that one. I just wanted to say that rightly or wrongly for all the time, effort and resources required, I am finally beginning to enjoy FSX a little....c'est la. http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Geoff-Great flight pics on your blog, I enjoyed those and the captions that went along with them. Plus, I didn't realize you were an accomplished musician! How long have you been with the orchestra?Cheers,http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Guest tmholopa

FSX should not and is not a space flight simulator, sorry but thats it

>Well it is, at least for those who take heavies seriously.>That said I sympathize with the OP ... FSX is really starting>to show its potential. Lighting is so much better than FS9. No>going back. >>I ran it (SP1) last night on a Penryn (new 45nm / 1333 bus OC)>test rig and its fantastic - steady 38 fps in the New York>area with 100% AI - in the Level-D 767, which is NOT optimized>for multiple cores at all. >>DirectX 10.1 cards are coming in January. It'll be amazing!Just remember, FSX won't target anything 10.1 at all.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Technically, FL700 is not space flight..but oh so close. Does the way I enjoy the sim really matter all that much to you? Goodness.....http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

Penryn? That chip is not out yet. How did you get a system based on that?

If that's Peabody in Nashville then I know it well.Incidentally, I saw in your blog/site that you landed at Dickinson, ND. I been 'dere! I listened to a really good barbershop quartet there once.Why am I posting this???RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>Penryn? That chip is not out yet. How did you get a system>based on that?It's probably the server version of the chip, which is the first to be released. Sept 10th was the date.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

>>Penryn? That chip is not out yet. How did you get a>system>>based on that?>>It's probably the server version of the chip, which is the>first to be released. Sept 10th was the date.>>Rhett>>AMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS>A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150>gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb>5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster PraetorianCan you share the native clock speed and the OC speed ? Dual or Quad core ?thanks,Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

>The Peabody I was speaking of is in Baltimore. But I have>seen the ducks (is it ducks?) at the Nashville one!No, the ducks are in Memphis, at the Peabody Hotel. !!The Peabody in Nashville is part of the Vanderbilt University. >Yes I landed in Dickinson-but only for a bite and refuel-not>even a haircut or barbershop quartet!Near Dickinson is where Teddy Roosevelt did his cowpunching in the 1880's. There's a badlands-type area national park there with really strange looking terrain. Since you flew in from the west, I am sure you flew right over that terrain as you were descending, but from the air I doubt it looked any different than the rest of the area.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

Those early Penryns are Yorkfields, Quad-core, with 12mb cache.I don't know about the one Marten was testing (in his post, above), you'll have to ask him.The Penryn at the IDF (Intel Developers Forum?) conference was running at 2.8 ghz.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett