Sign in to follow this  
Guest jshyluk

Ugly time of year in FSX

Guest JimC1702

FSX looks pretty nice in summer but now that autumn is here everything is that dreadful brown. Here in upstate NY the grass is still completely green but in FSX it's all brown. Looks the same in northern California too. I hope some of these texture programs coming out can change that. With FEX, the sky, clouds, and water look spectacular but even with FSG landclass and UTX, the fall and spring textures are dreadful.Jim

Unfortunately FS does not gradually move through seasons. Maybe some day.Of course, I can remember when clouds where 'ice cubes' in FS5, so all in all, I think we've come pretty darn far in 12 years +/- ;)

lol was thinking the same thing....flew a week ago around Northern MN.....flew yesterday = yuck!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest abulaafia

well you need to go fly Down Under

I agree-why I just keep my sim permanently on summer. 1) I think the other seasons look less real-summer duplicates reality the best imho2) I hate flying in winter-both real and simmed-and always dream of flying in the summer :-) (Fall is nice but the sim's fall colors look way too neon for me-spring is still too brown).http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest browman

I think the forrested areas in the fall are beautiful. I've flown in places in Virginia and the Mid Atlantic and the many fall colorured trees look amazing. Though it doesn't look like that in real life yet.

The program 'TreeX' available 'here', really does help the tone down the 'neon' effect per the available selections.Great little program.

Guest jshyluk

Vermont in the winter is an amazing place to explore in FSX. For a nice Autumnal flight experience, fly at dawn or dusk. Adjust the amount of visibility for a more muted look in spring and fall, like coastal British Columbia in the rain. Jackson Hole also gets my vote as being very scenic in the fall when the sun is low. Most of the sceneries look garish in clear weather at noon. FSX needs better atmospheric perspective to skew textures that are farther away into the cool blue palette. Bloom also seems to throw off the old histograms by adding what I would consider too much specularity - the look of a slightly over-exposed camera. Still, it's probably better to be too colourful than too drab, and err on the side of being too vivid. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer, Avsim

That was the argument for the old Technicolor brand. "Thrilling eye-catching" colors sold lots of tickets. Now the movies seem to be dark and less colorful as directors seek (in vain in my opinion) to dramatize their scenes. Adam Mills textures (usa_ground_textures_part_8.zip)are an attempt to mitigate the terrible Fall colors from Microsoft. However, his perspective looks to "chocolate" for my taste (to pun). It is a good project for a rainy day to use Gimp (free paint program) to adjust the coloring. Or just do the same thing to the Microsoft tiles by adding some light green texturing. The improvements can be quite pleasing.Just a note that Adam also has European focused Fall textures as well.Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest tmilton

I personally like the color of the fall trees in FSX. I think FSX does a good job on the autumn tree textures.However, the ground does need improvement as it gets too brown too quickly.

Yep Dick, I have all Adam's textures installed....quite an improvement. Those, along with 'TreesX' really does improve things.

Guest PPSFA

>FSX looks pretty nice in summer but now that autumn is here>everything is that dreadful brown. Here in upstate NY the>grass is still completely green but in FSX it's all brown. >Looks the same in northern California too. I hope some of>these texture programs coming out can change that. The guys at FEX said that they will be able to change textures on the fly, and the scenery will also update daily, as the seasons chamge, I cant wait.

>>Most of the sceneries look garish in clear weather at noon. >FSX needs better atmospheric perspective to skew textures that>are farther away into the cool blue palette. Bloom also seems>to throw off the old histograms by adding what I would>consider too much specularity - the look of a slightly>over-exposed camera. Still, it's probably better to be too>colourful than too drab, and err on the side of being too>vivid. >Agreed and very good points you make.I am constantly on a search for a texture combo that is a little less "garish" as you put it--and a little more muted.Please post your suggestion about "skewing textures far away into a cool blue pallette". In some respects, CFS1 was good about that.I think the bloom effect in general, in most titles, is way overdone. But, the video-game crowd oohs and aahs about that I suppose. The real world doesn't look like the Legend of Zelda's world.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB