Sign in to follow this  
newtie

Low (but not too slow) aircraft recommendations

Another one...an interesting one....is the Mario Noriega Designs - Caproni-Vizzola C-22

It has really good visibility and is just odd enough to be interesting.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

On 5/31/2023 at 10:50 AM, newtie said:

Well, I see there's lots to see in MSFS. 🙂

Does anyone have a favorite aircraft they'd like to suggest for VFR flying?

Any recommendations welcome.

Thanks,

Mark

Vision Jet 2.0, being released any second now on Marketplace. A MUST have. 
-B

2 hours ago, btacon said:

Vision Jet 2.0, being released any second now on Marketplace. A MUST have. 
-B

For VFR...?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

32 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

For VFR...?

Absolutely.  Great views from the cockpit and very capable.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, ryanbatc said:

Absolutely.  Great views from the cockpit and very capable.

I would have thought referencing landmarks at speed would be a challenge, but you live and learn!

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

1 hour ago, scotchegg said:

I would have thought referencing landmarks at speed would be a challenge, but you live and learn!

From WikiPedia stall speed of 77mph/124 with flaps implies a min safe speed in the 130’s. Great for seeing a sight and you come and go there pretty darn quick!

-B

• Upvote 1

My preference for VFR sight seeing is actually the Tiger Moth or alternatively the Wilga with both doors removed - but each to their own.

• Like 1

I was looking at the Wilga this morning. What a strange, unusual, cool looking aircraft.

Not sure about the guitar, fishing pole, and Spam, but hey, it is what it is. 🙃

Rans S6S. Possibly too slow for you but the best in it's class I think. 

• Like 1

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

10 hours ago, scotchegg said:

Hehe vfr just means you're maintaining cloud and visibility requirements.  When I fly vfr irl I'm usually just going gps direct.  You can do all sorts of methods of navigation, in any sort of aircraft.  I've worked 747s vfr before.  You can also do practice approaches (shooting an approach like you would when IFR), while vfr.

Ironically, the vision jet is kinda an annoying aircraft to work IFR enroute.  It's very slow and can really get in the way up at FL310 or even in the high 20s.

At least in the USA where you could fly vfr at 17,500 ft it's perfect option for short hops.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 hours ago, newtie said:

I was looking at the Wilga this morning. What a strange, unusual, cool looking aircraft.

Not sure about the guitar, fishing pole, and Spam, but hey, it is what it is. 🙃

The camping gear is a bit of a gimmick as is playing the guitar (which for me needed a custom camera view)..

However flying the thing around with the doors removed in the rain with the wipers going and that big radial roaring away is something else altogether 😄 It is by far the best STOL aircraft I have flown in sim.

Also there are heaps of nice small touches like clicking on the headset sockets mutes the sounds the way wearing a headset would,

• Like 1

there are times where I like low and slow and times (during the same flight) where I wanna go fast.  I have often used the IndiaFoxtEcho F-35 Lightning II.  Seems crazy to some/most but with the F-35B varient, I can go from 0 to near mach 2 and all speeds in between...stable. wanna fly low at 30knots? doable.  

• Upvote 1

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

On 5/31/2023 at 6:11 PM, scotchegg said:

Shocked & stunned to not see the Sting S4 mentioned. It's a beaut.

Great addon. Slow as hell.

Low But Not Too Slow for VFR is absolutely the domain of Warbirds & other military aircraft due to the bubble canopies and narrow fuselages.

Check out Just Flight's Hawk T1/a (fantastic quality), the IRIS PC-21, Flying Iron Sims Warbirds, or even DC Designs AV-8 Harrier V/STOL 😉

Nice thing about the Flying Iron warbirds is they have an optional GPS and a very good flight model.