How do you use sim  

168 members have voted

1. 1. What is your primary method of using sim

• 2D Flat Screen
    • 3D VR with Quest 2
    • 3D VR with HP Reverb G2
    • 3D VR with some other device

3 hours ago, hs118 said:

Correct me if wrong, but seems like Asobo estimated that about 15% of MSFS flyers use VR. That means 85% are using monitors or projectors.

This is right, and also confirmed on each one of the Navigraph Surveys taken every year

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

8 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

Had you posted your question and survey choices in the VR forum for MSFS2020 you'd probably get different results skewed toward VR as I, and possibly others not interested in VR, would never see the posting because I never go there.

Guess that's why he posted here, where there VR users and 2D users. It would be biased if he posted on the VR forum.

Edited by Alvega

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

I have a home cockpit with 3 screens. I also have a Quest 2 and it was fun trying some aerobatic flights in GA planes, and getting the adrenaline rush. But once I got that out of my system, I went back to my 737 and the physical cockpit with the 3 regular screens. I have a lot of buttons/knobs in my cockpit and it's pretty cumbersome to use them in VR. And to take notes on Vatsim flights. Plus, wearing the VR headset for more than an hour doesn't really feel good to me. 

Primarily 1440p

But fairly often I use Reverb G2 with 150% render and DLSS.

It's still a little blurrier than I would like but acceptable for most of my flying. If doing full imc I frequently will zoom into or lean in to see a display or instrument.

Using rtx 4080 and TAA with frame gen in 2D.  CPU is 12700K.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

18 hours ago, Alvega said:

Guess that's why he posted here, where there VR users and 2D users. It would be biased if he posted on the VR forum.

As the OP admitted, "Yeah, this is primarily a VR poll. " So it makes sense to post a VR topic in the VR forum. And as others in this thread have pointed out, this information is already out there  with a much bigger sampling giving more accurate results.

And to the OP, welcome back into flight simming.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

I have a big 4K TV that is 3D capable. I have been tempted to connect my game PC  up in 3D emulation mode and see how it goes.

1 hour ago, Twenty6 said:

As the OP admitted, "Yeah, this is primarily a VR poll. " So it makes sense to post a VR topic in the VR forum. And as others in this thread have pointed out, this information is already out there  with a much bigger sampling giving more accurate results.

And to the OP, welcome back into flight simming.

This is what the OP said:

I was just curious how many people are invested in VR use of MSFS vs how many are using display monitors.

If he posted in the VR forum he wouldn't get any votes from people using display monitors, only from VR users. That's why he posted here. Hope you get it now.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

I was exclusively on projector screens for years (120"+), but as I got a bit older, it's a little less comfortable in the HT room trying to deal with all the accessories on a table in front of the screen. I only use the projector room maybe a couple times per year, if that.

Though I still slightly prefer the projector overall for the visual experience, a close second is my current 43" TCL TV I use as a desktop monitor, which is just a little over arm's length away. 

I am always in 1440p.

I have the Reverb G2, but I have trouble using it unless it's in a VERY high quality area with above normal quality for the aerial imagery (like some of the Euro-Discovery flights are good, or the island ones). I find VR works good for the right areas but even then I cannot use it long term, maybe a 20-30 minute flight and usually with 1-2 breaks even then.

VR could be the best, but the experience still isn't perfect. Think of a projector kind of like 2D VR.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

4 hours ago, Alvega said:

If he posted in the VR forum he wouldn't get any votes from people using display monitors, only from VR users. That's why he posted here. Hope you get it now.

Don't know about you, but when I want to find out something about FSX I ask in the FSX forum. Ditto about P3D, I ask in the P3D forum. I could go on but I believe you understand what I'm saying without including the "Hope you get it now" condescending phrase.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

I'm a 2D monitor, airliner kinda guy and seriously tempted to jump into VR. The only thing stopping me is I'm unsure how usable VR is with all the buttons and selectors in an A320 or B737.  I didn't even know there was a VR forum, so time to head over there and see what those in the know are saying.

Wow, overwhelming flat screen response I see.  I too have a home-made cockpit with three 27" 1440 displays and a 4th 15" just below them for "digital" gauges.  My company just gave me an HP VR headset as they want me to get used to using them as well.  Have never used a VR headset... should be interesting.  We mainly use 4K Varjo's so I am looking forward to getting one of those.  We also work in mixed VR so I will be able to see all my hardware thru the headset.  It will be nice to be able to do actual comparisons between the two methods.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I don’t do VR, but I do have Tobii Eyetracker, combined with FS Realistic, gives me enough sense of movement in the cockpit for my liking. I can freely pan (look) around and zoom in to view instruments etc. I’m a happy camper.

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I MSI Z790-VC | MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker

2D 2560X1080 35"  widescreen I can never go back to a regular aspect monitor no matter how good it is.

I tried Playstation VR with that Carrier Launch Battlefield sequence I felt okay for about 10 minutes but then, I started feeling wierd and man I was sick for the rest of the day off just 10mins of VR time.  It seems like it makes a large amount of the public very sick and I dont think execs at the gaming companies thought the precentage it gave severe motion sickness to would be so high.  

With MSFS I find I am a hybrid simmer. I use VR for cockpit preparation through Climb and again about 50nm from TOD but switch to 2D in cruise for flights over an hour.

The way Asobo has implemented the ability to seamlessly switch between 2D/VR is a game changer and I wish other titles made it this simple.

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU