Sign in to follow this  
jdk2

SP2 Post is Live

I agree with the comment about the 'preview' status and lack of options being an indictment about dx10. If MS can't get these things to work in a year of trying then what does that say about dx10 and the hype surrounding it? On the other hand i am REALLY looking forward to acceleration and flying those aircraft and landing them on the carrier. I will be buying the pack for sure and not only for the dx10 patch. I just kinda get the feeling that they ran out of time with this dx10 task, were ill prepared for the challenges of adding features in a dx10 environment and as such 'washed their hands' of it and released it with minimal features that imo have been implemented in dx9 by other games for at least 2 years now. We all knew it was bs when we saw those screenies over a year ago. They really should be called on false advertising but the program offers so much else for budding pilots and aviation fans that it would not do any of us justice by pushing the matter. Cest la vie...________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

Really the graphics team is separate from the Sim team ( carrier features, helo features ), multiplayer team ( multiplayer racing ) and design team ( missions ) so the reason we didnt get to godrays had to do with timeframe and resource loading within the graphics team and not about Acceleration taking time away.

Hi C (sorry, couldn't resist :-> )When you upgrade to Vista, I don't know that I would do an upgrade install (of course, I never do upgrade installs of OS, so maybe its must me). So if you wind up installing the OS fresh, you would then need to reinstall FSX/SP1/SP2 etc on the new OS, and then yes, you would have the DX10 checkbox available on the graphics settings dialog page.But to answer your actual question, assuming an upgrade of Vista over XP actually worked (and I guess some folks must do it or it wouldn't be offered as an install option in the first place :-> ), and you already had FSX/SP1/SP2 installed, then it should recognize that you now have a DX10 compatible environtment and show you the checkbox to enable the DX10 preview.

Guest fsxmissionguy

Phil,Hmmmm. How bout I finish that sentence:"Of course as the engine moves forward for other products..."... such as Microsoft Train Simulator, we maybe could push out a few tweaks (W) with that product.

Not to mention SP1 most likely took most of the resources from DX10 development. Still, carrier landings, a P51 etc.... and I'm really liking the weather influenced waves..... Few questions for Phil or anyone.Awhile back it was mentioned that the turbocharged P-51 engine could be blown if overstressed. Did that make the final cut?Will Acceleration be boxed only or will it be available for a download purchase?And excuse my ignorance on this one but do all the DX9 fixes apply if you are utilizing DX10?I see windshield rain on 2d panels, will developers be able to create this for 3d panels or that's just not possible given all the graphical changes?

Guest Nickio20

Thanks Phil- you've done good and good job for the whole team. I am still upset and dissapointed about a few things but am slightly surprised by cockpit shadows and the fact that you recognized it as an important priority- it sounds truly Immersive, and I am hoping to see some screenies real soon.Thanks again!

I believe the engine blows are still in, yes.Acceleration is boxed only.Yes, the DX9 fixes should still work in the DX10 codepath, for exsample 3G is independent of rendering API as is the 8-core fix, the re-export of the 737/321, etc.

Guest fsxmissionguy

Brian,Does the reflection of the landmass (and the clouds overtop the landmass) look particularly odd to you?My gut tells me that if the water is choppy, then you don't get a millpond-like reflection of a distant landmass as in the DX10 image above.To me, the DX9 image looks more realistic, but the DX10 image looks higher quality (if you don't account for the fact that it doesn't look realistic). I know that doesn't make much sense, but that was my immediate impression.

The images I posted are intended for a perf-comparo, I would wait until others more artistically inclined than I post their DX10 screenshots. You might still be impressed.

I am looking at two things from this (for me).1. If this fixes/helps with the blurries issue. I would gladly pay the $30 bucks just for that.2. As far as getting the 20% extra fps if I upgrade to Vista. Now, that I have to think about. Is it worth the trouble I would have to go through in changing the OS? That would mean, i have to reinstall FS9 with all my addons and then FSX (this ain't a big deal. Don't have too many addons).Now, let me go read up on having a dual boot and just install Vista in another HD and not having to reinstall my FSX. Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Water 2.Max and Bloom are a load on the DX9 engine; which is why most people disable bloom and trim down water.So the shots are meant to show that DX10 is better with those dialed up.

>I believe the engine blows are still in, yes.>>Acceleration is boxed only.>>Yes, the DX9 fixes should still work in the DX10 codepath, for>exsample 3G is independent of rendering API as is the 8-core>fix, the re-export of the 737/321, etc.Yes, the engines definitely blow up, and watching it happen to the guy in front of you in a multiplayer race is absolutely awesome.You think you're catching someone but can't quite get by, then flash and smoke and you're past him.It's great.

Guest Roymcm

No, not safe to say at all.SP2 will be released separately after acceleration free of charge.

>in acceleration there is F-18, why. most of us cant fly 600>knots without blurries anyway.Gee! I thought most of us could! I'm glad they did.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors