Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Scientists generate 'electricity from thin air.'

Is it a reflection of the state of the world, or just of my mind, that my first thought was "Uh, oh....."

Scientists generate 'electricity from thin air.' Humidity could be a boundless source of energy, they say.

Edited by HiFlyer

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Apparently, a multitude of these cells the size of a refrigerator could potentially generate 1KW, so they claim. 

It seems to me that would be very location dependent.  Maritime climates could produce a lot of electricity while arid areas such as deserts very little.  Like San Francisco California and Tucson Arizona, for instance.

Noel

• Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Sounds interesting, but not very practical.  I thought that something like this would be great as a portable generator for field work, but then I read that you'd need a unit the size of a refrigerator for a single kilowatt - not very practical to lug around. 

This is also something that is still in the experimental phase.  I'm not surprised that a university is excited and making grand claims because they see grant $$$ in their future, probably taxpayer money.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

I thought we already new this when Isaac Newton flew a kite 😁

Matthew Kane

43 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

I thought we already new this when Isaac Newton flew a kite 😁

Wasn't that Thomas Edison??

David Porrett

2 minutes ago, DavidP said:

Wasn't that Thomas Edison??

Yes you are correct, my memory isn't like it was 🤔

Creating controlled humidity to create electricity is a great concept though, its just harnessing the basics behind lightning

Matthew Kane

3 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

Yes you are correct, my memory isn't like it was 🤔

Creating controlled humidity to create electricity is a great concept though, its just harnessing the basics behind lightning

How much power will it take to maintain that hypothetical "controlled humidity" I'm forced to wonder?  🙄

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

23 minutes ago, n4gix said:

How much power will it take to maintain that hypothetical "controlled humidity" I'm forced to wonder?  🙄

Good Point, kind of like trying to create a perpetual motion machine

• Like 1

Matthew Kane

2 hours ago, birdguy said:

It seems to me that would be very location dependent.  Maritime climates could produce a lot of electricity while arid areas such as deserts very little.  Like San Francisco California and Tucson Arizona, for instance.

Noel

Art Bell who lived in Pahrump, Nevada was a ham radio operator and he mention his tower was putting out quiet a bit of electricity and had to ground it.

• Upvote 1

Newton is the one who got clobbered by an apple falling off a tree.🤪

Edited by FBW737
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, n4gix said:

It's not exactly "controlled" humidity. Moisture is abundant in the atmosphere, all over the planet and night and day. There is no control over atmospheric humidity required. Humidity varies dependent on conditions of course.

The film itself is a fraction of a human hair thick and researchers are now attempting to stack them together. But it's not clear if the technology can be scaled up or not.

Quite a few engineering challenges to overcome I would have thought, like how you assemble one billion layers to generate 1KW. And how you design a filtration system that can prevent each one of those layers from having its nano pores covered in atmospheric dust.

Early days, but the fact this is possible with almost any material is fascinating enough.