Sign in to follow this  
SmokeDiddy

BN-2 Islander for XP12

I see Thranda released their rendition of the BN-2 for X-Plane 12 today, then Nimbus has updated their version.  Has anyone tried either of them?  It looks like if you own the Nimbus for XP-11, you'll get the upgrade to XP-12 version for free.

• Upvote 1

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

I am wondering the same.  I know Thranda but not Nimbus.

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Hi, I don't own the Nimbus for what it's worth. However, I've been burned in the past by Nimbus lack of support in their scenery products and have since then hesitated to buy their Huey or the Islander.

On the other hand, Thranda is great at supporting their products. I know which BN-2 I'll be buying for XP12.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Enrique Vaamonde

1 hour ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I am wondering the same.  I know Thranda but not Nimbus.

18 minutes ago, evaamo said:

Hi, I don't own the Nimbus for what it's worth. However, I've been burned in the past by Nimbus lack of support in their scenery products and have since then hesitated to buy their Huey or the Islander.

On the other hand, Thranda is great at supporting their products. I know which BN-2 I'll be buying for XP12.

Hope this helps.

I do own the Nimbus BN-2 for XP-11 and quite like it, but I am at work currently.  I will download the updated version later to see how it goes in XP-12.  I was hoping Thranda would post a video, but haven't seen one yet.  Maybe soon...  I also own both variants of the TorqueSim BN-2s.  I think they're working on the XP-12 updates, but not alot of news coming out.

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

Either one it seems - Know Thranda never heard of the Nimbus until the other day. The Nimbus looks very good and has a good selection of liveries much made of the upgrade of textures etc for XP12. Need some feedback in time on how they actually perform. Then I will have to make a decision. Amazing no XP12 BN2's then in the space of a couple of days two hit the stores - go figure!

• Like 1

I have the Nimbus Islander and think they did a great job with it. Nice to have it in XP12. They nailed the sound and rattle/vibration of the aircraft. Really like Thranda aircraft but right now will stay with the Nimbus plane (maybe not forever though). 

• Like 2

I haven't made my mind yet, I have eyes on Nimbus BN2 for a while, but since it was XP11 only so I hold on that, then I heard Thranda are making BN2 for XP12 and I Just got their C337 so I know it will be great, I didn't expect They came out almost the same time with same price😂.

From wiki the difference with BN2A and BN2B is "soundproofing and increased landing wight and other minor modifications." doesn't seems important on this one.

Nah, I'm not hurry, I'll be busy for a while with C337 and also CowanSim's B222 and H125 I just got with nice discount.

• Like 1

Whatever version you choose... The Islander is the most efficient fuel to noise converter ever built... so if you don't go deaf after a while it's not like the real thing 😂

Cheers T.

Edited by Torsen
  • Like 5

+1 to Nimbus for the sounds - they are the best.
FPS and smoothness of the simulation - in Nimbus are completely OK.
Thranda's planes, although excellent, put a lot of strain on my system and flying in VR is not always pleasant (with my hardware specs).

• Like 1

Looks like no XP12 upgrade for TorqueSim BN-2 Islander.  Love to see a 3 way race 🙂

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

13 hours ago, Sims Smith said:

Looks like no XP12 upgrade for TorqueSim BN-2 Islander.  Love to see a 3 way race 🙂

Hmmmmm...according to the x forums, the BN-2s were on the roadmap for XP-12.  Of course, if you're speaking of a "free" upgrade for XP-11 owners, that I haven't heard.

Edited by SmokeDiddy

I've had the Nimbus UH-1 for years. Good stuff - well made, flies right.

I also have a nice selection from Thranda. Always been pleased with their work.

Well solved the problem of which by going both. The BN2A by Thranda and the BN2B by Nimbus. There are differences. Very familiar with both in the rw. Ok Thranda does it all but the sound is a bit weak for an Islander. Overall very nice but it is a BN2A - lower power engines and different instrumentation and lower take off weight. The BN2B - by Nimbus - splendid looking model sounds ok as well. It appears a lot of niggly issues with switches in XP12 not working as they should, did not like the install setup and gave me an error message compared to the Thranda 5/10 for functionality 10.10 appearance etc. 

See how they go! 

Footnote or Quick Comparison - there is none. Thranda and Nimbus are both excellent XPlane models. Great textures, systems and flight fidelity. I have over 4000hrs real world time in the Islander so here is what I think - the Thranda is a BN2A and the Nimbus is a BN2-B. Depends on what you want to fly in the sim. Me I now have both and can swap between them as the flight simulation determines. Feel like the older Islander then the BN2A is the go, something more modern then the BN2B is th go thats all the difference. The B got slightly bigger engines and a higher TOW and more modern panel. They make you feel your in an Islander, sound and in flight. They were basic but a great STOL aeroplane and no reverse pitch so the brakes did a lot of stopping work - not that you needed much if you hit the piano keys, full flap and at 48 kts.

Surprise about the Islander it actually had real world engine out airliner performance - what? Yep it was guaranteed to climb out after take off to 1500 ft with one engine and it did. It would go downwind on one engine at 5 kts less than both - go figure! Flies a beautiful stable ILS at 120kts and 600fpm descent and will pult up to normal landing at the inner marker. 

Only thing really missing on these two - the stiff and uncompromising flight controls - Islander pilots got big arms!

t3CfWdk.png

Nimbus BN2B at NAMSOS

Edited by coastaldriver
  • Like 1

This debate is further complicated by the X-Aviation BN-2B and BN-2T (turboprop) Islanders now having been updated for XP12 as well.