Sign in to follow this  
mmcmah

Ground texture bleed through

I usually don't worry about it, but does anyone here ever get the ground textures bleeding through the taxiways, aprons, etc.? It seems to happen more often in DX12 and maybe DLSS, but it seems pretty prevalent.

Anyway, it seems to fix itself if you debug the airport in Developer Mode, but I'm wondering if anyone has found another way to correct the issue? I hate having to go into developer mode just to fix this issue when it appears. Is there a key binding to toggle that debug feature?

Thank you.

No.  Afaik it's only in dx12.  It may be present in 11 but I stopped using 11 the moment I got my rtx 4080.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Actually it is not a bleed through of the ground texture but the ground texture tiles going missing. It only happens in DX12, it affects everyone although not to the same extend and there is no fix for it, although it got the useless "feedback logged" tag in the official forums (since months). Only workaround: enable DEV mode and select one of the airport debug modes. This instantly brings back the missing ground texture tiles. But sadly this doesnt last forever, some minutes later, it might reappear. And there are several reports that it does only happen if you switch to the drone view or the outside view. Constantly sitting in the cockpit obviously does not trigger the bug... 

In my case, switching from a 6900XT to a 4080 almost entirely eliminated it. No idea why... it is still there, but way less frequent...

• Upvote 2

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Nope.

But not using DX12 or DLSS  .  I had non stop random crashes with DX 12 (3070ti 9900K 32GB RAM) and I had been more than happy with DX 11 and TAA so switched back to DX11 and stayed there.

1 hour ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Nope.

But not using DX12 or DLSS  .  I had non stop random crashes with DX 12 (3070ti 9900K 32GB RAM) and I had been more than happy with DX 11 and TAA so switched back to DX11 and stayed there.

Change shader cache size to 10GB or more inside nVIDIA Control Panel in the global section and most probably your DX12 crashes are gone... and of course, do NOT use Geforce Experience colour filters in DX12...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

4 hours ago, AnkH said:

Change shader cache size to 10GB or more inside nVIDIA Control Panel in the global section and most probably your DX12 crashes are gone... and of course, do NOT use Geforce Experience colour filters in DX12...

This amazes me.  Does it really need this amount?  I changed mine to 1GB (on YouTube advice :rolleyes:) and after weeks of use I have never seen more than about 250mb of files in there.

I noticed that size when I have switched from DX11 to DX12 and back occasionally - I always clear them at that stage. 

Still not sure if it is just one of those urban myths though, as the graphics card should be able to cope with this, if not it is sloppy programming. 
A lot of users / gamers will never go through this routine, or have probably never heard of it.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

29 minutes ago, Paul K said:

I used to get the same problem, but clearing the DirectX shader cache fixes it.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-delete-directx-shader-cache-in-windows

If you own CCleaner, you can have it do the job for you when it's run.

Good call. I remember doing that step previously but had forgotten. There wasn't much in there, but I deleted them anyway.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mmcmah said:

Good call. I remember doing that step previously but had forgotten. There wasn't much in there, but I deleted them anyway.

Let us know if it sorts the problem out, just to be certain.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

Deleting shader cache is equally not a permanent solution like any other workaround so far. This needs to be fixed by the devs...

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

On 6/1/2023 at 5:09 PM, mmcmah said:

I usually don't worry about it, but does anyone here ever get the ground textures bleeding through the taxiways, aprons, etc.? It seems to happen more often in DX12 and maybe DLSS, but it seems pretty prevalent.

Anyway, it seems to fix itself if you debug the airport in Developer Mode, but I'm wondering if anyone has found another way to correct the issue? I hate having to go into developer mode just to fix this issue when it appears. Is there a key binding to toggle that debug feature?

Thank you.

See this thread at the official forums and make sure to vote.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/mixed-textures-in-ground-at-default-airport-dx12-beta/534963

James

Someone put up a video of this on youtube. And again for those that haven't, please go to the official forums thread on this (linked in post above) and vote.

James