Sign in to follow this  
Purr

Is there any advantage to using DSR anymore?

Back in my P3D days, it seemed to offer a nice improvement on clarity without impact on frames. These days, I'm running 1440p and remembered DSR.

My questions are:

1. In Nvidia Control Panel it lists only one option for DSR: 4k x 2k 5120 x2880 (1.78x DL). There are also various Scaling Resolutions listed for 4K x 2k. Are scaling resolutions the same as DSR? What should I use?

Anyone else using it, and if so, what recommendations do you have for settings in NVIDIA Control Panel and / or within MSFS?

Thanks!

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

It only has no impact on frames if you are fully CPU limited. That was most probably the reason why you could turn this up in P3D... BUt MSFS offers a resolution scale slider inside the normal graphics menue, it is basically the same as DSR: at setting 100, it uses the resolution you selected. At 200 it uses 200% of the selected resolution. And everything inbetween is also possible. If you turn on DEV mode and activate the FPS graph, it will also tell you the resolution the sim is actually rendered in on the upper right corner of your screen. 

Means: no need for nVIDIA DSR via driver suite for MSFS.

PS: I too have an 1440p monitor and because of the overhead I got using Frame Generation with my 4080, I turned up resolution scale to 130 exactly because everything then looks slightly crisper without loosing to much performance. 

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Strangely, DSR x1,78 still works best on my now modest rig (7800X3D, rtx2800ti, 1440 monitor 144hz, DX12, Dlss, vsync 33%).

After testing and testing all over again, i get the crispiest and smoother experience that way. and I don’t have the blurriness of the cockpit some are experiencing.

6 hours ago, AnkH said:

It only has no impact on frames if you are fully CPU limited. That was most probably the reason why you could turn this up in P3D... BUt MSFS offers a resolution scale slider inside the normal graphics menue, it is basically the same as DSR: at setting 100, it uses the resolution you selected. At 200 it uses 200% of the selected resolution. And everything inbetween is also possible. If you turn on DEV mode and activate the FPS graph, it will also tell you the resolution the sim is actually rendered in on the upper right corner of your screen. 

Means: no need for nVIDIA DSR via driver suite for MSFS.

PS: I too have an 1440p monitor and because of the overhead I got using Frame Generation with my 4080, I turned up resolution scale to 130 exactly because everything then looks slightly crisper without loosing to much performance. 

As far as I can tell, the slider in the game goes away if you use DLSS.

Having tried many different combinations, and wanting to use frame generation (DX12 required), I settled on DLSS with DLAA instead of Quality. It makes the system look as good as TAA but it's also smoother. On top of that, using a 4k screen, I enable the NCP 1.78x DL DSR and it makes everything look less jagged. The jetways and rooflines makes the biggest difference. At that resolution I'm still CPU limited those times that my NCP self-imposed 60fps limit isn't being triggered.

As stated above, if there's any FPS hit at all, it would seem to be very slight. I run most of the graphics settings at ultra with shadows manually changed to a higher value and a couple of them changed to high because I don't think Ultra does anything.

Edited by mmcmah
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, AnkH said:

BUt MSFS offers a resolution scale slider inside the normal graphics menue

Are you referring to Render Scaling?  If so, it has a massive impact on GPU load when I dial up anything over about 130%--and often the downside doesn't manifest until flying thru certain types of clouds, whereas DSR does not have this impact, and I'm not main thread limited w/ how I run the sim.  I use 4x DSR and find it's excellent in MSFS on a 1440x3440 display for sharpening.

• Upvote 1

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

19 minutes ago, Noel said:

Are you referring to Render Scaling?  If so, it has a massive impact on GPU load when I dial up anything over about 130%--and often the downside doesn't manifest until flying thru certain types of clouds, whereas DSR does not have this impact, and I'm not main thread limited w/ how I run the sim.  I use 4x DSR and find it's excellent in MSFS on a 1440x3440 display for sharpening.

Interesting, because it basically does exactly the same as easily visible on the overlay in DEV mode. Setting it to 130% results in exactly 30% more pixels being rendered. So I do wonder why DSR is less heavy on performance? And your 4x DSR results in a whopping 5120x2880, which would result in 200% on the resolution scale slider. I somehow doubt that your 3080Ti can render MSFS in such a high resolution without any issues, dont you have DLSS active as well? 

Besides that, I read some reports that using DSR results in G-Snyc being disabled, is this also something you observe?

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

11 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Interesting, because it basically does exactly the same as easily visible on the overlay in DEV mode. Setting it to 130% results in exactly 30% more pixels being rendered. So I do wonder why DSR is less heavy on performance? And your 4x DSR results in a whopping 5120x2880, which would result in 200% on the resolution scale slider. I somehow doubt that your 3080Ti can render MSFS in such a high resolution without any issues, dont you have DLSS active as well? 

Besides that, I read some reports that using DSR results in G-Snyc being disabled, is this also something you observe?

I have 1.78x enabled on a 4k native screen (5120 x 2880). I see no or very slight FPS impact. I too have noticed that when trying to use the in-game render scaling the game takes much bigger hits to FPS and smoothness. My assumption is that doing it through the NCP doesn't have the same overhead because it's handled by the driver and GPU rather than being handled by the (not well optimized for multiple cores) game and possibly the CPU.

• Like 3

For me the only noticeable benefit of pushing up render scaling is clearer text on cockpit labels and other small cockpit details and fractionally better looking glass screens. 

No noticeable difference to outside terrain.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

Since this is controlled by the driver directly, would this effect VR resolution as well?

AMD 7950X3D | 64 GB RAM | RTX 4090

B737 Pilot

52 minutes ago, V1ROTA7E said:

Since this is controlled by the driver directly, would this effect VR resolution as well?

I don't use VR, but would imagine that it could have an effect. What I will say is that doing it through the NCP does affect the Developer Mode menus and makes them look too small. It's easy enough to change the screen resolution when wanting to use Developer Mode, so I leave the upscaled resolution active otherwise.

9 hours ago, AnkH said:

It's weird I agree.  I have DSR at 4x here, set my lock up at 40fps, and as you can see GPU load is at 67%, but normally I set the lock to 33fps in which case GPU load goes to low 50's%.  If I set RS to 200% in sim it would be an absolute crawl.spacer.png

And I might add, now that I am at 12K feet from KSFO > KSAN it's ultra butter smooth in the FBW A320NX, and crisper than ever I love it!  Hopefully at landing my joy is not shattered.  I've had some odd kind of shimmering or brief periods of higher frequency micro-stutter at arrival airport since trying 4x but not sure that's it yet as I was in the PMDG 738 in which def is better in DX12 but I was in DX11 when I noticed this at arrival, whereas FBW 320NX is best in DX11 and that's what I'm in now w/ this stellar smooth flight.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Well, I might try DSR instead of the render scale as well then, even if my FPS are perfectly fine using 130%. And, if DSR disables Gsync, it is a no-go for me, as I absolutely need it for smooth gameplay.

Greetings, Chris

6 hours ago, AnkH said:

Well, I might try DSR instead of the render scale as well then, even if my FPS are perfectly fine using 130%. And, if DSR disables Gsync, it is a no-go for me, as I absolutely need it for smooth gameplay.

Where did you get that from, the Gsync/DSR?  Yesterday's landing joy was shattered when I experienced very bad stutters upon final approach and landing, and that despite GPU load at about 60%, CPU main thread about 74%, which normally implies stuttering does not have to do w/ overtaxed processors.  I do have a Gsync display as well.  The entire flight yesterday was buttery until that last segment and that at 4x DSR.  I went back to 2.25 DL DSR or whatever it's called today, and the flight today was actually not perfectly smooth compared to yesterday's at 4x except the landing, but today's landing was a little better.  My conclusion is there are server-side effects that goads one into making changes client-side, which of course is futile!

A few weeks ago I had been suffering from this issue w/ wretched deterioration of output despite very low loads on CPU/GPU/VRAM and was about to reinstall MSFS, and at the last minute did a new NV driver install and all was back to Nirvana perfection.  That's happening again now so a complete puzzle, and could well be the next flight will be back to Nirvana!

Noel

Just google G sync and DSR, there are many reports that it does not really work for many games unless you also set the desktop to the higher res. And the issues are more prominent if you use an uneven multiplier, like your 2.25 DSR? No idea how it is for MSFS though...

Greetings, Chris