Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Gonna Jump to 7800x3D...thoughts?

After being an Intel man for the past 14 years, I have been very tempted to make the jump to the new Ryzen 7800x3D. My decision, which is yet to be made in concrete, is based on reviews and opinions shared elsewhere and also on YouTube. I thought it would be prudent to ask advice on Avsim before making the big leap. There is a deal on at the moment on Amazon, which effectively includes the MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk motherboard and 32Gb (2x16) 6000Mhz CL36 DDR5 RAM, at a price considerbaly less than having to upgrade my Intel system. I have got a little tired of having to continually throw away components whenever I want to upgrade my Intel chip, so that, combined with the reported performance this chip produces along with the fact that it is far more reasonably priced are my main factors for this decision. But as I say, I would like opinions from anyone who may hav emade the jump to this processor. I currently run an RTX3090, which I understand will be perfectly compatible. Any thoughts appreciated guys...  BTW, it's probably important that I add, I am running a 4k monitor.

Capture.jpg

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I am going that way (7800x3d) later this month. Last winter I replaced my 2080-8gig I'd had for 5 years with the amd/radeon 7900xt 20 gig and am very happy with it.

This cpu from the various articles indicates for simming it will be on par with or exceed the 7950x3d which was what i was going for initially. Plus it is less money.  I currently have for a cpu the I9-9900k which I have had for 5 years.

Been 20 years since I have had an amd/radeon computer but times have changed.

The new mb config will be used for the next couple, at least, upgrades to the cpu. Couple it all with 6000 ram and it should be a nice package.

I've always found buying as much horsepower as you can within reason in the long run is less expensive.

• Like 1

Definitely look at the motherboard reviews on Utube. Seems like some are better than others about compatibility.

• Like 1

I perused the motherboard reviews on Youtube before buying. My take away was that there seems to be no 'bad' ones. 

I went with an Asus board with the x670 chipset and it has been working really well. Caveat though is the controversies regarding EXPO profiles and excessive voltages. Me, I've hard-capped them through BIOS and ít never comes close to dangerous levels. EXPO up and running and giving a substantial performance boost with volts never reaching 1.2. 

I wanted a MB with lots of M.2 slots as I've moved away from old type SSDs/HDs completely with the new build. All slots populated with fast M2's. I paired this with the 7950X3D as I am not willing to give up the substantial multi-core advantage that CPU has over the 7800X3d.

Writing this while watching Youtube videos, running OnAir, FS hud and FSLTL (all on the frequency cores while MSFS runs on the cache-cores) while the CPU runs at a nice sub 60 deg C. Couldn't be happier. 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

39 minutes ago, Swe_Richard said:

Writing this while watching Youtube videos, running OnAir, FS hud and FSLTL (all on the frequency cores while MSFS runs on the cache-cores) while the CPU runs at a nice sub 60 deg C. Couldn't be happier. 

Did you have to tinker with any core prioritization or did the CPU allocate MSFS and the other addons automatically?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

9 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

After being an Intel man for the past 14 years, I have been very tempted to make the jump to the new Ryzen 7800x3D.

same here, except that I also upgraded from my 3090 to a 4090, which gives you twice the fps (FrameGeneration) that none of the AMD GPUs have. The x670 motherboards are plenty powerful, the X670E with PCIe 5.0 is useless overkill. The fps increase over my previous i9900K+3090 GPU is phenomenal, about doubled, and that Amazon bundle price looks very attractive. 7950X3D has no performance advantage over 7800x3D for MSFS, no need to tinker with any core prioritization etc. whatsoever. AMD CPU and NVidia GPU is currently the most powerful MSFS combo, as thousands of reviews and youtubes have shown.

"I currently run an RTX3090, which I understand will be perfectly compatible."

true, but only the 4090 will give you twice the fps via FrameGeneration while using even less power than the 3090. in 2D @ 4K I am seeing generally 60-100 fps at very high settings, in VR usually around 60 fps.

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

6 hours ago, Swe_Richard said:

Caveat though is the controversies regarding EXPO profiles

according to AMD and Mobo manufacturers, the few melted CPUs that were reported recently were not caused by EXPO DDR5 RAM timings in the BIOS but CPU overvoltage settings. unlike Intel CPUs, overclocking is not recommended/necessary/useful with the latest AMDs. except for EXPO RAM timing, I left everything on default. just make sure the RAMs are on the Mobo's  recommended compatibility list, which should be the case if you buy that Amazon bundle.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

I went with the MSI x670 Pro Wifi and 7950x3d.  My GPU is a 4070ti.  MSFS runs great. Stay away from ASUS boards. Nothing but quality issues. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbGfc-JBxlY&t=1514s

Edited by YukonPete

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

10 hours ago, turbomax said:

I left everything on default. 

But have you used the factory turbo boost? So what speed is the CPU running at?

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

9 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

1) But have you used the factory turbo boost?

2) So what speed is the CPU running at?

1) no

2) variable, between 4.0 - 4.8 GHz

still outperforms any Intel running at 5.8 GHz.

• Like 1

very nice.

I'm in a rabbit hole at the moment trying to nail down an upgrade rig. The more I research the more I dither and put off making a choice.
Currently I'm running P3D4.5 but plan to upgrade to P3D5.4 and to give MSFS a go (I have been reluctant to try MSFS as my current rig wouldn't handle it and I'm not sure the "big tin" (that I like to fly) is that good in MSFS yet. Low and slow stuff certainly.

If you wanted to cover both sim camps, would you go with a 7800x3D or a 13900K and why? Graphics solutions seem to be less of a problem.

Cheers

Steve Hall

7900x3d here since launch.  Love it , incredible performance TBH. Smokes everything thrown at it. My 3080 is what is holding me back at this stage but will wait till next 5000series arrives and will see if its worth the cost to upgrade or go with a cheaper 4090. 

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

On 6/2/2023 at 2:35 PM, Rockliffe said:

I currently run an RTX3090, which I understand will be perfectly compatible. Any thoughts appreciated guys...  BTW, it's probably important that I add, I am running a 4k monitor.

For anyone building a new PC just for flight sim, now, I think this is the way to go. Your parts choices look fine. I would say the X3D chips do run very hot because of the extra cache on top of the die. So, get the best air cooler or AIO you can afford and get a case with good airflow properties (check out Gamers Nexus for case reviews). My 5800X3D regularly peaks in the low 90's when running the sim. I have a dark Rock Pro 4 cooler fitted currently but I have bought an Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 AIO to replace it. For the Power Supply, I went for a Seasonic Vertex GX 1200, as it has one of the new 12VHPWR cables included as standard.

think you will be happy with the performance of the 3090 with the new chip and would only need to consider the 4000 series or higher, if you wanted to get into VR and run it to a good level. I bit the bullet and bought a 4090, which will be fitted along with the AIO and PSU in the next week or two. I've had the parts for a few weeks but have been too bombed out from work to get around to doing the upgrade! Best of luck with your build.

[David Biddle]

5800X3D, X570 Aorus Master, G.Skill 32GB 3200 CL14, Asus RTX 4090 TUF OC, Alienware AW3420DW. Fulcrum Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Saitek Combat Pro Rudder Pedals. HP Reverb G2.