Sign in to follow this  
sd_flyer

For all fans of ATR

Here is good display of a challenging landings considering narrow gear and  heavy crosswinds! Notice after touch down ATR nose swing toward wind and  pilot struggles to keep directional control. Even with all deficiencies MSFS models it very well 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

The ATR is fun to fly, but does the real world ATR pull to the left after take-off like the one in the SIM?

I have to use quit a bit of rudder trim when flying.

Another issue I have on take-off, is at times the engines RPM levels get stuck in the 20's when taking off, not sure the cause.

When it happens, I cannot get enough speed to safely gain altitude and I usually end up crashing (always a bummer).

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

5 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

The ATR is fun to fly, but does the real world ATR pull to the left after take-off like the one in the SIM?

Looks like ATR both engine rotates two the same direction (clockwise if stay right behind). So you will experience left turning tendencies

Here is covnetion turning engine - torque, P-factor, slipstream explained below 

https://www.pilotscafe.com/engine-inoperative-principles-in-a-twin-airplane/

4 hours ago, EnSnellHest said:

No it doesnt.

The ATR in game feels like a Cessna compared to RL.

Same on the ground, feels to "twitchy"

Do you fly ATR for a living? I'm gladly to hear your opinion!

P.S. I own and fly a lot 172 IRL it they don't feel twitchy to me on the ground

16 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Do you fly ATR for a living? I'm gladly to hear your opinion!

P.S. I own and fly a lot 172 IRL it they don't feel twitchy to me on the ground

Yes Sir, both -500 and -600.

Its hard to compare the sim to the RL counterpart, but it just feels to light in my opinion.

Except when I try to slow down on approach, then it feels like a 747 in the sim. (Its much more easy to slow down IRL, especially when you go 100% RPM / 100% OVRD

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, EnSnellHest said:

Its hard to compare the sim to the RL counterpart, but it just feels to light in my opinion.

Except when I try to slow down on approach, then it feels like a 747 in the sim. (Its much more easy to slow down IRL, especially when you go 100% RPM / 100% OVRD

Yes I have also noticed slowing down is a bit painful ! So I was wondering if i do anything wrong . I did adjusted my rudder pedals sensitivity down a bit to have a better grip. 

How to you guys handle take off ? Do you push nose down during take off for a better grip?

Yeah the control column would be forward during the start of the take off-roll, and then gradualy moved back as we're gaining speed.

45 minutes ago, EnSnellHest said:

I had wondered about that.  Different aircraft,  it I flew the Majestic Q400 a lot and always loved how nicely it slowed down with its big propellers causing drag, I  had assumed the ATR would be similar.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

59 minutes ago, EnSnellHest said:

Except when I try to slow down on approach, then it feels like a 747 in the sim.

I would have given you the benefit of the doubt, but this is just rubbish. The ATR is ridiculously easy to slow down on approach in the sim.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Farlis said:

I would have given you the benefit of the doubt, but this is just rubbish. The ATR is ridiculously easy to slow down on approach in the sim.

Are you certified in any version in ATRs in real life? If not I suggest you keep your "rubbish" comments to yourself.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

1 hour ago, EnSnellHest said:

12 minutes ago, 188AHC said:

Are you certified in any version in ATRs in real life? If not I suggest you keep your "rubbish" comments to yourself.

I have to agree with @Farlis, saying it slows down like a 747 is silly. It's (in the sim) by far the easiest airliner to slow down on approach, by a large magnitude.

Edited by Fiorentoni
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

It's (in the sim) by far the easiest airliner to slow down on approach, by a large magnitude

That's similar to saying "my VW Golf GTi is the fastest car in the World, because all the other cars parked on my street are Toyota Prius / Ford Focus / SUVs."

In a relative comparison, the Asobo/HH ATR probably does slow down quicker than other airliners in MSFS and perhaps the 747 comment is a slight exaggeration.
However, in real life (if EnSnellHest is a genuine ATR pilot), he/she may be used to being able to change the condition levers to 100% OVRD to get the effect of 'throwing the anchors out' and seeing the associated large reduction in airspeed.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

4 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

That's similar to saying "my VW Golf GTi is the fastest car in the World, because all the other cars parked on my street are Toyota Prius / Ford Focus / SUVs."

In a relative comparison, the Asobo/HH ATR probably does slow down quicker than other airliners in MSFS and perhaps the 747 comment is a slight exaggeration.
However, in real life (if EnSnellHest is a genuine ATR pilot), he/she may be used to being able to change the condition levers to 100% OVRD to get the effect of 'throwing the anchors out' and seeing the associated large reduction in airspeed.

That might all be true, but that would make the 747 comment a huge exaggeration, not a slight one. And that's all I'm complaining about. Being hyperbole destroys any civil discussion a priori.

• Upvote 1