Sign in to follow this  
Guest tmilton

"W" key problem?

Guest PPSFA

I saw reference in another thread to this, what specificaly is it? I'm curious since I haven't seen a problem yet using it, maybe I am missing something.tks

I think it has something to do with an unobstructed view. In FSX pressing the W key brings up instruments whereas in FS9 it clears the view???I can get the same view by using the 2d cockpit view with a 3d only aircraft though.At least that's what I believe is the case...

Guest PPSFA

Thanks but thats why I'm confused, if you press W enough times, you get an unobstructed view forward, I use it all the time.

In FS9 and earlier (I think also in FSX before SP1), pressing the "W" key from the 2D cockpit gave an unobstructed view in all directions using the direction keys or joystick hat. Current FSX SP1 and SP2, the unobstructed view is only available looking forward.Ron

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

Guest PPSFA

gotcha, tks. It never really bothered me since Im usually looking forward anyway :-) For panning around I go to either spot or wing view and use the 'poorman's TrackIR': Shift+o

I guess it bothers me more since I used those views for years for a quick look back at the runway as I am taking off, or a look at the ground as I bank steeply left or right and could quickly snap back to a front view with gauges. It's not something I can't live without, but it sure was handy for low level flying and sightseeing.Ron

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

In FS2004 and previous versions, pressing the W key loaded either the 2D cockpit Mini Panel or the 2D cockpit with no panel displayed.When using the Hat switch in this mode - the side and rear .BMP files were not displayed just as the front .BMP files of the aircraft interior were not displayed.In FSX the 2D panel is a view of the default VC. So when looking to the side or back, or up after pressing the W key - you see the VC textures for that angle.There are a couple alternate views to place the eyepoint either above or below the aircraft cockpit - but the VC and aircraft are still present in those alternate views.Getting rid of the 2D cockpit and incorporating it as a view of the VC was a really big deal - so I'm not surprised that it's a major issue which requires extensive development work to bring back to FS.

Guest PPSFA

I still have those views they just have the wing, etc in them now

Guest tmilton

The "W" key removed the panel from the front and sides when in 2D cockpit mode. Basically the effect was to allow you a completely clear unobstructed view of the outside scenery when looking around you in all directions. It allowed you a clear 360 degree view when you panned around using your joystick hatswitch or keyboard. With the press of one button, "W", the panel and interior cockpit textures were conveniently prevented from blocking your view.Simmers have used this extremely useful feature for more than a decade. This was found in FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, and even FSX - before SP1 introduced a bug and removed this feature from FSX.It was great to use to be able to see a full unobstructed view of the runway behind you as you took off, and view full screen scenery around you - any direction you wanted. It was great to use for screenshots as you flew, and wonderful for making FS videos. In was indispensable for use in certain multi-monitor setups. And it was a joy to use it to maximize your views in Track-IR.My hope is that this important feature will be returned to us in FS11, if not FSX itself.