Sign in to follow this  
StamPilot

Phil Taylor moving on?

Guest Stoopy

Maybe I'm out of the loop - and could be, I enjoy flying the sim much more than posting about it - but I've read in another thread something that alludes to the fact that Phil Taylor is moving on to another project (not the next MSFS) after the Accelleration / SP2 release?If this is so - Phil, no response necessary but I'd like to express my deepest respect and gratitude for what you've brought here, and what you've done for this release effort over the past many many months. Not to talk about myself except to give reference, I am also a software project manager leading a group of individual development teams and started out many years ago as what was just called a "programmer" back in the day. However our work is in a much less exciting and glamorous field (generally in the industrial automation area). The point being, we have many thousands of users and occasionally, I must communicate both good and not-so-good news with them. Doing the latter is not fun, but a necessary part of the job, and takes much diplomatic skill and "forthrightness" for lack of a better word. The point is that for you, coming here and dealing with what you've done, on your own personal time, is NOT a job requirement or listed expectation I'm sure, yet you chose to do so out of integrity and maintaining open communication with the community. Having sat on the sidelines and watched all this time, I'm very grateful for the sacrifices you've taken out of your own time to do so. And if you're not involved with the next release effort in the series, I'm sure you're going to be sorely missed, and this is as good a time as any to give thanks and due credit. If the above assumption is incorrect and you're staying around, then you still deserve a handshake and "job well done", with the added comment that I'm definitely purchasing the next release already!-------------------------------------------For any who feel compelled to reply in kind, I'll add that this thread should not be about the company, the product, the details, the expectations, or anything else except just the person on the other side of the monitor. Thanks!

I could be wrong as I usually am, but I thought the team was moving on to trainsim then FS11? Just curious which post you are alluding to as it would be a great loss.Ian.

I understood it be moving onto FS11 guys.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Guest Stoopy

It was in one of the longer threads here, having to do with SP2 I believe. I'd go find it but....ehhhh.....actually there wasn't much in context and it was in the middle of a kinda ugly post that I'd rather not read - or quote - right now. If that's OK.Thanks for the reply and I was really just checking, because yes it would be one HECK of a loss and so it threw me for a loop. The source may have been misinformed.Danke!

Sorry if I was unclear. No, I am quite happy at Aces and am staying. My role is changing a little bit, but in a positive way.So you arent getting rid of me that easy :-).

Guest Stoopy

Excellent! Thank you Phil, and thank you, Jeff.You weren't unclear, I was just mistaken, and it's a great thing to be wrong in this case!:-beerchug

Excellent.Phil, let me pile on here--adding thanks for you openness and brutal honesty. Not to mention a wonderful creation.Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Guest CocoLoco

That's a relief - I was getting a bit worried there! Phil, I often wonder how you and the folks at ACES feel when some element or other of FSX is given a rough time, particularly when ACES probably felt quite proud of it (and rightly so). This thread just raised the prospect of what things would be like if you decided to move on and your successor did not bother to engage with the FS community.I would therefore like to take this opportunity to say thanks for your time and feedback on all things FS related - it is greatly appreciated. As someone with a background in software development, I am constantly impressed with what FSX can do. I also can't help feeling that we have only seen the tip of the iceberg in terms of what FSX is capable of. I was flying around MegaScenery's HawaiiX at dawn with Flight Environment X and the default Maule the other night and found it hard to believe just how good this combination is (see attachments). None of this would be possible without the FSX engine at the core of it.Best RegardsDavid

Guest evo9mr

Jeff, OMG your still alive? What ever happend to OSS? Sorry, been out of FS for about 2 years. I was waiting to buy your turboprop but then poof.Marc

Guest LSflyguy

Phil, I've been an MSFS customer since the "early days," and I truly want to join in the thanks for what you've brought to our community. I know it hasn't always been pleasant. But I've never seen you "lose your cool" and I think that even some of the critics have come to realize that you tell it like it is -- good, bad, whatever. I really do appreciate the fact that Microsoft has decided to openly engage its customer base through these forums, and I'm genuinely excited about what I see on the horizon. (It looks suspiciously like god-rays!) ;-) Hope you remain part of this community for a long time to come. Best, - Lee

Guest tmilton

Phil, you have been invaluable in providing the FS enthusiast with accurate facts, and helping set reasonable expectations with upcoming products. You have also cleared up misinformation spread by some unfortunate few. We hope to see you continue for a long time.We thank you for you service and dedication.

good news phil.

Iransim Administrator

Microsoft Flight Simulator Add-on Developer Since 1998

Robert Goddard said: It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

Guest Dan G Martin

Well that's great news Phil. As your part in advancing the terrain engine in FSX really is a great step forward. I just hope your skin is thick enough to put up with all of the crap that some people here throw your way every day! I for one am always blown away by what can be done with the terrain in both FS9 and FSX and that's due to you and your team that worked on the above.Dan Martin Team Flight Ontario.