Sign in to follow this  
Cloudpiercing

The “affordable department” of Blackbird Simulations (Milviz

Read at https://www.helisimmer.com/ that Shrike has released a 530F. As for now it´s only avaible at https://shrikesims.com/ac.php?id=530f. I´ll will wait for some reviews before I'll take the plunge, but it surely looks nice. I own Cowans 500E and Got Friends Mini 500, so mayby it's redundant with a 530F also, but if the reviews are good I´ll probably get it.

• Like 3

Come here you big, beautiful cup of coffee and lie to me about how much we’re going to get done today.

Thanks for heads up. Interesting concept brought to us by milviz, a basic version of a very liked helicopter, focused on those who just want to fly and not waste time learning starting procedures. I’ll pass on this but I don't doubt that it would be attractive to some, especially models with weapons.

• Upvote 1

$20 for something they're admitting is a "get up and fly" aircraft with pure default systems.

I think I know why they canceled the ATR now.

• Like 1

As the Helisimmer article mentioned, there is a lot more to the 530F than just "get up and fly". Yes, avionics is standard, but that's fairly decent by now, so there is really nothing wrong with it- especially at that price tag. You can start th3 530F from cold and dark, you have a checklist, and the flight dynamics is quite nice (I've been a beta tester). If you want to learn more about the 530F, check out the following stream,

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1836135930

The stuff about the 530F starts at about 44' . The stream also mentions other new Shrike products: the Piper PA-30 and Beale Air Force Base KBAB. Both are of very good quality as well.

If I had to characterize the difference between Shrike and Blackbird Simulations products in one sentence, it would be: Shrike models have no extras (like the state saving in the Cessna 310R) but are well made and fully functionable, while Blackbird products are innovative. I am pretty sure people will enjoy the 530F and the PA-30, but they will be blown away by the SR-71 (mentioned in the video at around 11:30'). 

Peter

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Quite why ANYONE uses that awful default GTN650 I'll never understand. If you aren't interested in putting in support for the freeware PMS50 version then just use the WT GNS430 and still offer 10 times the functionality.

Edited by Matchstick
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, mspencer said:

$20 for something they're admitting is a "get up and fly" aircraft with pure default systems.

Faulty conclusion. Their ATR would've been priced in the $40 - $50 range and given the surprisingly high level of fidelity of Asobo's version, would've practically guaranteed it was a commercial failure. BB's version would've undoubtedly been a deeper simulation across the board, but not enough to differentiate except for a few who were especially interested in the ATR.

In reality, the very same challenge faces FS Labs and Quality Wings for the MSFS market...

It's also important to understand their history.

MilViz was/is known for making extremely High Fidelity addons. So much so that they have had great success in being chosen to supply P3D addons for IRL government & military pilot training. E.g., T-38A & C Talon II's for the USAF.

The MV brand is now Mil/Gov/Commercial only, hence the new BlackBird, which is dedicated to Hi Fi addons for the Consumer market (a la C310 and still born ATR).

And now (surprisingly), they have Shrike, which is aimed at using the sims default systems (which have recently become very good, and are increasing in fidelity).

From a branding perspective, splitting so much is somewhat of a concern, but I think Shrike could be a (business) master stroke that will allow them to push out popular aircraft with entirely acceptable levels of simulated functionality (like the AAU updated aircraft). And once they're out there, they can always increase the level of fidelity and/or create a "Pro" version to move it upmarket.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, mspencer said:

Nah....its much easier just to blame Hans Hartmann even though the same people with those pitchforks are lowkey enjoying the ATR🤣

• Like 4

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

with the name of their products called "Shrike" I would just love for a proper study level AC500S - have many pleasurable hours in them - it's on my list of airplanes that I would really love to have in my hangar

Rattso

Cooler Master Cosmos 700M - Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme D5 - intel i9-12900K(water cooled) - 128gb Corsair Vengeance 5200 D5 - Gigabyte Asorus 4090 waterforce - EVGA 2000W P/S - Creative AE-7 - intel Optane 500gb - 3x 2tb M2 SSDs - 2x 2tb Samsung EVO SSDs - 1x Hybrid 2tb HDD - Thrustmaster Warthog - Honeycombe Bravo quadrant - Thrustmaster TPR pedals - MFG Crosswind - Samsung Oddesy Ark - G9 49" monitor

Despite having the Cowan Simulations MD500E I couldn't resist and went ahead and bought this - the airframe happens to be one of my absolute favorites (would love having an OH-6 Cayuse aka "Loach") and for $19 the price is quite reasonable.  Considering I paid $17 for a double cheeseburger, fries, coke and some spicy chicken nuggets at Wendy's a couple of weeks ago (don't judge - I hadn't eaten all day and had a 2-hour drive home!!!)

I have to say... this is a really nice heli for the price.  It flies very well and trims up nicely for some relaxing cross-country flying also.  Looks dang good, fun to fly, and the addon features make it interesting and put a smile on a sim pilots face.  If you're looking for a starter helicopter that has sex appeal, great visibility and won't try to kill you, this is really worth getting IMHO.

Edited by Stoopy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

40 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

Despite having the Cowan Simulations MD500E I couldn't resist and went ahead and bought this - the airframe happens to be one of my absolute favorites (would love having an OH-6 Cayuse aka "Loach") and for $19 the price is quite reasonable.  Considering I paid $17 for a double cheeseburger, fries, coke and some spicy chicken nuggets at Wendy's a couple of weeks ago (don't judge - I hadn't eaten all day and had a 2-hour drive home!!!)

I have to say... this is a really nice heli for the price.  It flies very well and trims up nicely for some relaxing cross-country flying also.  Looks dang good, fun to fly, and the addon features make it interesting and put a smile on a sim pilots face.  If you're looking for a starter helicopter that has sex appeal, great visibility and won't try to kill you, this is really worth getting IMHO.

You couldn't have said it any better.  The heli is awesome.  They've done a great job with enough systems depth to keep us on our toes.

Jase

• Like 1

Jaseman. Lovin it up here........

Catch us over at MassieSim32 -> https://discord.gg/B4buuHGhcr