Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

SSD vs HDD, big difference

I broke down and purchased a 2TB SSD drive for FS after my 1TB drive was filling up.  Before the change I noticed stuttering performance at some ad-on airports and the ATL area in general.  Upon copying over my data to the new SSD drive those issues are gone.  Taking care of the load times from a legacy drive really made a difference in MSFS performance. 😏🍺

At this point I'd recommend anyone using a legacy drive with MSFS seriously consider an SSD drive.

• Like 6

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

16 minutes ago, Dillon said:

I broke down and purchased a 2TB SSD drive for FS after my 1TB drive was filling up.  Before the change I noticed stuttering performance at some ad-on airports and the ATL area in general.  Upon copying over my data to the new SSD drive those issues are gone.  Taking care of the load times from a legacy drive really made a difference in MSFS performance. 😏🍺

At this point I'd recommend anyone using a legacy drive with MSFS seriously consider an SSD drive.

Even faster  is an M.2 SSD. 

• Like 6

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

And even faster an M.2 NVME lol

• Like 4

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer 280 AIO Cooler . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

20 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Even faster  is an M.2 SSD. 

True, but now we are into deminishing differences.. so if your motherboard does not support M2... the SATA route is still a good way to go.

• Like 4

Bert

18 minutes ago, sonny147 said:

And some M.2 NVME drives are even faster than others 🙂

• Like 1

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

See my thread here....I'm trying to speed up my launch of MSFS... - Page 4 - Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - The AVSIM Community

So its been a good few days since I said the SSD did NOT improve my load times but I was wrong.  After some consistent testing my load times are now about 7.5 mins, this is down from anywhere between 10-15 mins depending on which day of the week it is.

What I have noticed however, and this is after testing with the Fenix, PMDG and A310 is that my sim definitely does not stutter much now, prior to the SSD particularly in the Fenix at heavy airports on approach/departure I used to see 1-2 minute "pauses" with some stuttering on the ground.  I've not witnessed this yet since putting the SSD in.  Sure my frames haven't improved (wasn't expecting them to) because my hardware is still ancient (i7 4790k / 16GB / 1070) but the overall smoothness of the sim seems better.  Aircraft (particularly the Fenix) also load to the gate from the main menu a lot quicker.

So anyone still running on a HDD with no mileage for any more upgrades (bar a full PC rebuild) like me, defo stick an SSD to give you a little boost.

• Like 2

Thomas Derbyshire

26 minutes ago, sonny147 said:

And even mo' faster better is a PCIe 5.0 M.2 NVME.  😉

• Like 3

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

This is like a retro thread from 4-5 years ago. 😉

• Like 3

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

3 hours ago, Bob Scott said:

And even mo' faster better is a PCIe 5.0 M.2 NVME

forget PCIe 5.0:

"at Synopsys we are already working with designers on the development of new SSD devices that will take advantage of the PCIe 6.0’s 64GT/s data rate."

😀

https://semiengineering.com/pcie-6-0-nvme-and-emerging-form-factors-for-storage-applications/

------------------------

@Dillon - SSD can mean even as slow as SATA HDD, depends on connector etc. But as we can see in task manager/performance, transfer rates in MSFS are typically way below max. SATA transfer speeds, so you wouldn't notice a difference going to NVMe PCIe 3.0/4.0/5.0

"In December 2009, Micron Technology announced an SSD using a 6 gigabits per second (Gbit/s) SATA interface."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

I think it's been 8 years or so ago since I unplugged my last old fashioned HDD. I've been using SSD's ever since. And even those old ones were noticable faster already. I have to say that going from HDD to SSD (SATA at that time) was the biggest step forward. I am now using NVMe SSD's but in all honesty... the differences between various SSD's are mainly noticable in benchmarks. For a regular user any SSD will do. Don't expect miracles and wonders when you go from a SATA SSD to a NVMe SSD. Obviously I bought NVMe ones when I created my current PC but even if you can't get those (because for instance you are using an older motherboard) I would advice everyone to forget about HDD's and get SSD's.

BTW Speed isn't the only benefit: so is noise! And so is being able to move them! My old HDD's were really audible, you could clearly hear them spin up (something SSD's won't have to do either btw) and I also never dared to move the case out of fear the HDD would crash. SSD's make no sound at all and you can thrown them around during use LOL (My first SSD's were actually hanging on their SATA cables in my old case because there was no way I could pin them down!)

I honestly don't understand why people would still buy HHD's (other than for external backups perhaps). Whenever I see people buy a brand new PC with 4090 Ti's and whatever and then add a HDD to it... Ouch. I just don't get that.

SSD's are a godsend and one of the best things ever to happen to computers. (Along with my 1000 mbps up AND down internet connection btw LOL)

Edited by tup61
  • Like 1

For those suggesting NVME, it makes no difference cause there's probably 2 games atm that can even try to saturate PCIE speeds (By using DirectStorage) and MSFS isn't one of them. Whether you have a SATA or NVME SSD, you're going to get roughly the same performance in MSFS.

Scratch that, the DirectStorage API has very very negligble differences when using PCIE as opposed to SATA, so it won't even get close to saturating it.

Edited by Lucky38i
Further info
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Dave_YVR said:

This is like a retro thread from 4-5 years ago. 😉

I got my first SSD for P3D 11 years ago.

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

i remember the HD days when I would defrag the hard drive periodically to get max speed. Some of the first people that bought an SSD used to defrag them too, until they found it it was bad for the SSD. Don't miss those days at all. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

My current build is about 9 years old I built it with an SSD boot drive but a bigger HDD.  At the time high storage SSDs were really expensive.  As time has passed I’ve upgraded my RAM and Graphics card.   In hindsight I could have installed SSD as my main storage a while back but never bothered.  So dont scoff so easily about it being a retro thread etc ha.

• Like 1

Thomas Derbyshire

If anyone is upgrading drives, and you only are going to have one drive, then a 2TB drive is a much better purchase choice than a 1TB drive. And the prices on drives are much cheaper than 2 years ago. With all the updates from MSFS, my MSFS is over 800 GB (official + community). 

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.