Sign in to follow this  
kevinc5

Moving P3D to new rig

5 minutes ago, Matt Sdeel said:

A good example would be "WX Advantage Weather Radar". Arguably a must-have for some study level aircraft. First sold by Rex and then Milviz. And now it's not available for sale anywhere. Too bad if you lost your registration details. Another good example is stuff from Realair's Turbine Duke and the Lancair Legacy. Realair is now gone.

The WX Advantage Radar is incompatible with P3D versions after P3Dv5.1 due to LM making changes to the hooks into the P3D weather system and the developer's decision not to update it further.  I actually discovered I still had a couple planes with that radar added in when I did my last rebuild, which I corrected at install time.  The radar causes a CTD if you try and run it on v5.2 or later.

The RealAir products are still available for download by previously licensed customers at http://realairsimulations.net/

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

6 minutes ago, Matt Sdeel said:

And now it's not available for sale anywhere.

But it’s available free of charge here.

https://forums.hifisimtech.com/threads/free-wx-radar-gauge-for-popup-or-vc-integration-x64-p3dv4-v5-build.8594/post-54031

Roland has the skills Rex and Milviz lack. Or perhaps it was just a matter of being interested more in P3D.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

7 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

But it’s available free of charge here.

https://forums.hifisimtech.com/threads/free-wx-radar-gauge-for-popup-or-vc-integration-x64-p3dv4-v5-build.8594/post-54031

Roland has the skills Rex and Milviz lack. Or perhaps it was just a matter of being interested more in P3D.

Thank you for the link. I was not aware of Roland.  There are only a few things that are preventing me from going to MSFS all the way and upgrading from P3D 4.5 to 5x. Three immediately come to mind: Flysimware's business jets (Lear 35A and the Falcon 50) and the Rex WX used with them, and OpusFSI for its weather engine and EZCA like functionality. 

I read that you are using Xtreme Prototype's Lear 25.  It looks very interesting to someone who likes the Lear 35.  But at the price point it's being sold, I'm hesitating since Flysimware is apparently working on the Lear 35A for MSFS.

7 minutes ago, Matt Sdeel said:

I read that you are using Xtreme Prototype's Lear 25.  It looks very interesting to someone who likes the Lear 35.  But at the price point it's being sold, I'm hesitating since Flysimware is apparently working on the Lear 35A for MSFS

The detail of the VC of the XP Lear is astonishing and having recently benefitted from cataract ops I can finally enjoy that detail in 4K. It’s also a very good flight model.

The Lear 35 is a much newer model of course but whether its flight model is as good I really couldn’t say.

I’m very fussy about 3rd party aircraft. I only have five. If you stay with P3D it’s compatible with both v4 and v5. Moving to MSFS means you would have to rule it out.

Decisions decisions! 😉

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

It’s also a very good flight model.

Would you know if XP has a plan to get involved with MSFS?

46 minutes ago, Matt Sdeel said:

Thank you for the link. I was not aware of Roland.  There are only a few things that are preventing me from going to MSFS all the way and upgrading from P3D 4.5 to 5x. Three immediately come to mind: Flysimware's business jets (Lear 35A and the Falcon 50) and the Rex WX used with them, and OpusFSI for its weather engine and EZCA like functionality. 

I read that you are using Xtreme Prototype's Lear 25.  It looks very interesting to someone who likes the Lear 35.  But at the price point it's being sold, I'm hesitating since Flysimware is apparently working on the Lear 35A for MSFS.

I keep P3Dv4.5 installed for a handful of add-on acft that use the Rex/Milviz radar (Flysimware bizjets, Milviz KingAir 350i et al), for the many nice Orbx freeware sceneries that were never updated to v5 (one of their most prolific freeware creators died), and for the Return to Misty Moorings sceneries up in the Pacific Northwest.  P3Dv5's biggest benefit to me was mostly a performance gain when operating complex add-ons into busy, complex airport add-ons.  v4.5 still works great in the less-populated areas, and applying the sheer horsepower of a 13900K and 4090 makes it work pretty well even in the busy places.

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

4 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I’m very fussy about 3rd party aircraft. I only have five.

The XP25, the Concorde, and...?

4 minutes ago, Matt Sdeel said:

Would you know if XP has a plan to get involved with MSFS?

They are working on a Lear for MSFS. https://www.xtremeprototypes.com/default.asp

2 minutes ago, Matt Sdeel said:

The XP25, the Concorde, and...?

PMDG 737 NGXu, Carenado PC12 and Vertx DA62.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The only thing I ended up kept from P3Dv4 on old rig is the scenery database scanned by LNM, now I only have v5 installed on new rig, but whenever I want see if I did have a nice freeware airport that was around back in v4 days, I'll check the LNM's v4 map and located it from my backup folder and add it to my v5 scenery. Mots of the time they just works great.

Also some livery and aircraft.cfg also works by paste it into v5, although the aircraft itself have been reinstalled.

17 hours ago, Bob Scott said:

Oh no, I've tried transplanting my sim install to a new system several times before, and following day after frustrating day of playing whack-a-mole dealing with all the problems that cropped up (and kept cropping up), I decided to clear the decks and rebuild from scratch.  There are few things more aggravating than planning a flight and then finding that the airport scenery won't load because the installer was never run on the new machine and the license is invalid.

In the process, every time I've done it (about once every couple of years), I always find stuff I would have otherwise missed (e.g. sceneries that have been updated), and I leave out add-ons that were installed but proved underwhelming and unwanted.  It does serve as a spring cleaning of sorts...can't imagine what my config would look like with 5-10 years of vestigial baggage dragged along from machine to machine.

But...to each his own. 

Ok, you got your experience, i respect that. I know the feeling arriving at a broken airport. Even the sim world is too big to visit all places often enough to have it always perfectly working. I still find airports with default buildings bleeding through and even a reinstall of this airport would not have fixed it cause the developer never cared for fixing this. 

Dan

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

It is aggravating for me to install my sim from scratch, but that's the only way the sim will work properly. So no matter how long that will take I have a patience and I install it from scratch. This is the best way for everything to work properly. 

On 6/5/2023 at 4:53 PM, blaunarwal said:

It is funny, like you guys always want to do it the hardway and assume it creates problems if not freshly installed everything, although you never tried it the other way.

Dan

Just to remember: some hardware installs kernel drivers in the windows boot partition, e.g. graphics cards.
If you change the hardware from a too older one, Windows crashes while booting the new rig with these old kernel drivers (BSOD).

So before taking over an older disk/SSD to a newer rig, I would recommend first uninstall graphics and disk drivers.
It can be done on later by WinPE or DISM but that's a little bit fiddling.

1 hour ago, QuaxTheSnoopie said:

Just to remember: some hardware installs kernel drivers in the windows boot partition, e.g. graphics cards.
If you change the hardware from a too older one, Windows crashes while booting the new rig with these old kernel drivers (BSOD).

So before taking over an older disk/SSD to a newer rig, I would recommend first uninstall graphics and disk drivers.
It can be done on later by WinPE or DISM but that's a little bit fiddling.

It was no problem at all. I kept my RTX3090 and the internal GPU of the processor was installed automaticly. No BSODs at all. I only have a problem with log in suddenly. It always ask for password, although I have this disabled. Maybe you're talking about very old ssd. My oldest is a EVO 840 from 2015, which is on a SATA port. The others are all M.2.

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

I’m about to do a hardware upgrade and a fresh Win10  install. Been 5 years with this machine. This thread has been full of good knowledge. Many thanks.

Just BTW my steam-purchased XP11 requires no reinstall at all, all I need to do is start backed up steam from new computer, it'll repair itself, locate my copied game lib, and XP11 need no repair at all, and all add-ons only need re-activation once in game (mostly is SASL activation window), and even all the joysticks works without need to re calibration, totally fluent transfer from windows7 into windows11 on a totally new hardware (except all my 6 joysticks).

I'm not a coder but wonder why the hill any software would need to be install/uninstall/reinstall like FSX/P3D and some of their add-ons to start with...such unnecessary complexity...