Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

Black Traffic models when far away (Pics) any help?

Tom,This is exactly what I was / am seeing as well.As for specific models, well I'm not at my PC right now, but it seems most of the WoAI packs have the same effect.Glenn

Guest Sinnerman49

Wow. Now I'm thoroughly confused. Okay...to try and narrow this down...1. The models are not always black, only when I move a certain distance away.2. I'm skeptical of a Video Memory issue, as these are relatively simple AI aircraft, and my FPS is locked at 28 and rarely dips below. - wouldn't I see a severe FPS hit if my video memory was being over-tasked?My first attempt at importing this AI from FS9 was to simply copy the Aircraft folders to FSX (In the corresponding Airplanes folder) and then copy all the 3rd party Traffic files to World/Scenery. The AI showed up, but I don't think it was interacting correctly with ATC (I didn't notice a lot of radio chatter....) However, I don't remember the models turning black, but again - that could be because I never got far enough away, I just did one quick flight around the area to test it. I'm not sure.I'm definitely thinking this could be a LOD issue, however I have this same traffic package installed in FS9 - and I don't seem to remember the models defaulting to a certain color (IE: Grey) when viewed from afar.So - I plan on A) Jumping in FS9 and seeing if the LOD issue is there too (Of a different color):( Uninstalling the traffic package from FSX using the supplied uninstaller, then manually re-adding the traffic to see if infact there is a difference.I appreciate all the responses, and I am by no means saying anyone is wrong - I'm just trying to work through it.

Yes, I agree, this is clearly the no-texture-on-surface-then-it-is-black issue with FSX. Why they chose black, I don't know. White would probably have been a better choice. Or, really, the best choice would have been to continue to use the color that was originally assigned. But I don't know why they decided they couldn't do that anymore. Probably something to do with the lighting engine, which could also be why they chose black to avoid glow in the dark surfaces.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Guest tmholopa

thank you for the answer, thomas, well we just have to live with that.

Guest Sinnerman49

Anyone know if MyTraffic X Fixes this problem? (I would assume, since you have to pay for it - they use new models with all the LOD?)

So far it looks like all the FSP Airbus aircraft have no textures at the lowest LOD.The AIA models look good so far but I've only checked about half.The EVAI models look good, along with Fernando Martinez, CDAI and DJC models.The John Murchison PAI models have no textures at lowest LOD. Many of the PAI John Rodgers models might have the main fuselage textures, but wings not textured. It varies from model to model.

Guest jshyluk

My Traffic X does not fix the problem. If anything, the problem gets worse. Their customer support told me it was a graphics memory issue, which is what I passed on as information. I still feel that graphics memory is involved as a culprit, but there may be other issues as well that are all compounded into the problem. I don't think its so much now that it's a total bottleneck, but rather some misapplication of graphics resources that are at the heart of this. My Traffic X does use a lot of different textures, and the program controls their use, not the user, so it's hard for the casual FSX sim-pilot (me) to go in an make adjustments. Worse still, many of the textures are re-used from older versions of MSFS, but there's no easy way to check to see what textures are more compatible than others. I would suspect that this problem dogs many AI aircraft providers because there are so many aircraft that need texturing in the FSX environment. Simply porting in old textures doesn't always work. As for choosing black as a default base colour... well, that's a mystery to me as well. Grey would be the best choice operationally, but I would expect planes with missing textures to be bright chroma green, as that's what I would use as the base for adding 32-bit alpha channel effects. Now that I think of it, when the textures load in slowly and the model is drawn before the texture is placed, the models are grey. So somewhere along the line the model colour gets switched from grey to black? That seems very improbable. More likely the texture is corrupted somehow, and a black texture gets painted onto a grey model. Must be a distant relative of Zaphod Beeblebrox that would paint the entire aircraft black...Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer, Avsim

Jeff,I am convinced that it is a mdl issue. Not a gfx memory issue.If you consider that the stock FSX AI aircraft don't turn to black, and yet the FS2004/FS2002 aircraft do, then that leads me to conclude that any mdl made using the FS2002 or FS2004 gamepack will fade to black.And any mdl made using the FSX SDK mdl compiler will work great.I have so far never heard any definitive answer on it but I think that is the problem.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Speed

And it also happens in the middle of a desert with only a couple of airliners at an airport and fps maxed so it has nothing to do with memory.The black is very disturbing and ruins a beautiful scene. I guess like FS9, we have to spend hundreds of hours hand crafting our AI.MyTrafficX's misleading answer is very disappointing, along with the claim that their models are updated for FSX.

I used WOAI with FS9 and it was the same, now with FSX this happens. You can turn off all the detail you want and be in a desert, the same thing WILL happen. I have been told over and over again it is NOT a graphics card issue, or system issue. This is an FSX/model issue. It happens with both AI traffic addons, at least on my end. I try to ignore it, most of the time that works.The only time I notice is on long final, I have alot more going on at that time to really care. :)Danon --

Guest Speed

As primarily a GA pilot I notice it a lot more. Airports are often waypoints and at 6500' at 120 knots there is a long time spent looking at black planes.

Guest tmholopa

happens also with FSX default AI aircraft, its not a model issue, its a bug. thats it.

>happens also with FSX default AI aircraft, its not a model>issue, its a bug. thats it.For me it doesn't happen with FSX default models and doesn't happen with the new MyTraffic X models. It's definitely a problem with pre-FSX models. It happened to me with lots of MyTraffic X models before they were converted to FSX models. After they released new FSX models, the problem was fixed.It still happens with the models not yet converted to FSX, though.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White