Sign in to follow this  
mikegrr

is Live weather affected if you change the time?

I use MFS at night but I like to fly VFR during daylight hours. I would like to use some sort of live weather, but MFS doesn't use historical weather.

So if I turn on live weather but change the time to day, will I get the current weather but at the time I set up? Can this even be done?

I know, I know I could just try this but I'm curious what the experts opinion is, as sometime the weather is fluky.

I think you've answered your own question ... Live weather is not historical so it will not change by time of day ...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, mikegrr said:

I use MFS at night but I like to fly VFR during daylight hours. I would like to use some sort of live weather, but MFS doesn't use historical weather.

So if I turn on live weather but change the time to day, will I get the current weather but at the time I set up? Can this even be done?

I know, I know I could just try this but I'm curious what the experts opinion is, as sometime the weather is fluky.

Unfortunately no. This is one of the major deficiencies of the MS/Asobo weather system.

You can vote for it here:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/historic-weather-as-second-timeline/213758

But I wouldn't hold my breath. It has been completely ignored by MS / Asobo so far. Just like so many other missing weather features.

It is one of the reasons why it is so sorely needed they finally open up their weather system to third party developers. Vote for it here:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/open-up-the-weather-system-write-access-to-3rd-party-devs/266706

Edited by RALF9636
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Indeed a huge limitation, which makes somehow useless to even have a "date setting" option where you can set the date of your flight somewhere in the past...

But then, in any other simulator I have used that's an necessary consequence of not being possible to store a long history of past weather and even more of a problem if one sets the date ahead of the present date, many days ahead of the last available forecast...

Thinking about these "problem" I honestly found out that the best option is still to set the weather manually under such circumstances.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Indeed, one of the major problems with the weather system in MSFS right now 😕

And the devs don't seem that motivated to fix it, unfortunately 😞

3 minutes ago, Daube said:

Indeed, one of the major problems with the weather system in MSFS right now 😕

And the devs don't seem that motivated to fix it, unfortunately 😞

Technically there's nothing to fix, they need to add the feature of historical weather. But seeing the mess they've made of live weather since SU7 I can't and personally don't want them wasting time on this feature right now, live weather has a long way to go yet and I'd prefer them to concentrate on that.

Hence opening the API up would help them massively, but that's a rabbit hole we've been down before a thousand times on this forum 😄 (for the record I would welcome historical weather eventually)

• Like 5

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

2 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

This is one of the major deficiencies of the MS/Asobo weather system.

It is and it is high time they do something about it.

Neumann’s babbling about not understanding why it is so important was borderline ludicrous. 

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Have you all forgotten this announcement from Jorge just a couple of weeks ago? Nothing definitive but it sounds like they’re seriously considering it…

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/634034-msasobo-and-opening-weather-camera-sdk-to-3rd-parties/

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Have you all forgotten this announcement from Jorge just a couple of weeks ago? Nothing definitive but it sounds like they’re seriously considering it…

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/634034-msasobo-and-opening-weather-camera-sdk-to-3rd-parties/

Jorg says a lot of stuff whilst smiling politely for the masses and corporate marketing executives, I've learned to take what he says with a pinch of salt and believe it when I see it.

Edited by MarcG
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 4

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

41 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

It is and it is high time they do something about it.

Neumann’s babbling about not understanding why it is so important was borderline ludicrous. 

I don't understand either, perhaps you would enlighten me?

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

1 minute ago, SierraHotel said:

Nope, I’ll let you do some reading /thinking of your own.

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

47 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Jorg says a lot of things, often with a "I wish they would stop asking us about this" look on his face. I'd love for them to open up various aspects of the sim, weather included, but I'll believe it when Jorg stops ponding and smiling about it and actually delivers it.

For a long time he's banged on about not seeing why its important to people. That was a poor line to take and demonstrated his naivety 

• Upvote 1

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

11 minutes ago, KL Oo said:

For a long time he's banged on about not seeing why its important to people. That was a poor line to take and demonstrated his naivety 

I remember that. How could you not understand the limitations of one set of weather?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I remember that. How could you not understand the limitations of one set of weather?

He's not the only one:

1 hour ago, SierraHotel said:

😉

I am not sure though if SierraHotel is kidding or serious...

historic weather, essentially only possible (in P3D) from AS is not what you may think it is .... it is not "recordered live/current" weather, just an hourly snapshot of the latest so hence does not depict most weather metars reported half hourly nor Specis when weather fronts pass

bottom line, use current weather for the scenario you choose ... ie there is nothing real simming at night pretending its day.

for now, cheers

john martin