Sign in to follow this  
sd_flyer

MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK add another SSD question

Hi, 

I have motherboard listed in the title. I want to add another SSD to my system. I have four SSD M2 slots. The first one is currently occupied by original SSD that came with PC. The second slot is covered by my video card and 3rd and 4th slot are easily accessible!

My question is: do I have to install my second SSD into second slot ?  Or I can install it to easily accessibly 3rd and 4th slot without touching my video card?  Thanks in advance

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

You can usually install in any slot you wish but there may be bus width limitations or SATA I/O controller sharing for specific slots. I'm sorry I can't provide an exact answer for that MB. Youtu.be reviews usually cover any caveats. 

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

1 hour ago, odourboy said:

You can usually install in any slot you wish but there may be bus width limitations or SATA I/O controller sharing for specific slots. I'm sorry I can't provide an exact answer for that MB. Youtu.be reviews usually cover any caveats. 

Thanks for the answer! That is basically why I kind of stuck with my decision . Logically it should be slot 2 . But I can’t find explicit explanation in motherboard manual if it can be any slot 

2 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Thanks for the answer! That is basically why I kind of stuck with my decision . Logically it should be slot 2 . But I can’t find explicit explanation in motherboard manual if it can be any slot 

I used slots 2 and 4 in mine. Slot 1 shares the wide PCIE bus with the GPU bus, so I skipped that so the GPU got full bus bandwidth. Slot 3 is covered by my GPU.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Checked your mobo manual.

If you are planning to install another one, you have install it using the M2_4 slot.

Using M2_3 will deactivate SATA_1 connection.

So if you are planning to use all NVME slots, you cannot use your SATA_1, the the rest of the 5 SATA ports will be OK

• Like 1

Report : as recommended I successfully installed in m2-4. Problem solved